Register now to get rid of these ads!

Galaxie Dies when decelerating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorksrock, Jun 25, 2011.

1. dorksrock

dorksrock

I have gotten my '63 Galaxie running, and the brakes working, the original 352 running pretty good, etc after sitting since '78. But I have a problem, When im braking or decelerating, she dies, and sometimes wont stay running after its been run for a while unless you keep your foot on the gas, and sometimes even then wont. I never have a problem when the engine is cold, just sometimes after its been up to temp for a while. I did a search, and found someone with a similar problem that was related to the float level. Do you guys think that this is my problem? Also, I know that the original dashpot doest work any more, could this be my issue? I wanna try to get this issue fixed so I can cruise in it on my birthday. (This Monday, send me your vintage goodies and stuff. You didn't want it anyways)

Heres a pic for ya guys!
    [​IMG]

2. Might be a fuel pump of clogged fuel filter.

3. dorksrock

dorksrock

fuel filter is on my to do list tomorrow, seeing that I have never replaced it. :eek: good chance its crudded up.

4. float level sounds suspect.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I think it's a Ford safety feature! :D

6. If an automatic, it has to have a dashpot, functional and adjusted properly. It also sounds like the carb is not adjusted correctly, including base idle.

7. oj

oj

Just rebuild the carb, it has been sitting since the 70;s and has crud inside it, the idle circuit likely stopped up or restricted.
    I'm not certain what you mean by dashpot - the high idle solenoid when the air conditioning is on?
    No the problem isn't float level - it is the idle circuit. The idle circuit is always functioning, it is what provides fuel when you lift your foot off the throttle like slowing down etc.

8. csimonds

csimonds

I had a 67 Galaxie with the 390fe that was doing the same thing. I had to take the time and adjust the carb properly, after that no more stalling at stop lights. Try that and see how you make out.
    Chuck

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I remember those as being very particular about float level and operation. Double check that system and assure it is up to spec and workig properly.

10. dorksrock

dorksrock

It is and automatic car, and I did rebuild the carb about a month ago. I gotta dig through my pile of stuff and find my vacuum gauge and get that carb adjusted, and pop off the top of the carb and see if I set my float level right. As far as a dashpot, I am having trouble finding one, None of the parts stores even know what one is.

11. rougebeats

rougebeats

You need the dashpot. Its what your carb linkage "rests" on during deceleration and I believe is vaccuum controlled. If the plunger on the dashpot is stiff or doesnt move etc then it will keep doing what your talking about. I had a 64 olds with a 394 that did that til I replaced mine. I didnt have the trouble you are having finding one though. Put up a wanted ad in the classifieds on here. Im sure there is someone on here that can help you out. Good luck!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I was thinking, The dashpot keeps the throttle plate from closing too quickly and starving the engine when it is slowing down.

Float level could be a tad low too but it does need the dashpot.

13. rougebeats

rougebeats

Another thought is that the dashpot from a 390 (or similar) may interchange, and be used on your carb as well. Worth looking into.

14. dorksrock

dorksrock

15. The dashpot keeps the engine from stalling on deceleration.

Attached Files:

16. von zipper

von zipper

Sounds like it to me!

17. dorksrock

dorksrock

Sounds like what I need to solve my issue. I know the engine is tired, but If I can get one good summer of cruising outta it I will be thrilled! Time to get a dashpot!