Register now to get rid of these ads!

These ARE the good ol' days.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Jun 24, 2011.

1. 59Custom300

59Custom300

I agree! When I go to shows and see the diversity of styles and the plethora of talent I am truly in awe. We owe a lot to those who came before, but we have kept the spirit alive. These are the good old days!
    BTW, the "thing" that Lippy posted is Schlitze or "Zippy the Pinhead" a famous sideshow freak from the 30's. That clip is from the movie "Freaks" shot in 1932. More goofy stuff I know for no apparent reason!

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I agree, these are the good old days. Lots of stuff happening now. And man the internet has really opened things up. I have met and talked to people I never would have. Yeah, this is a great time to be a hot rodder. :D Sorry about the Schlitze. Sometimes I get carried away.:)

3. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

You are absolutely correct. Everything is available at one time now. Choose your direction and go. This is truly the golden age of the automobile so let's enjoy it.

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I would agree with you to a certain extent but always remember all those guys from the past who really were way ahead of their time that paved the way for much of what we see today.

There were many who became legends in the business do something years ago when many people thought they were crazy.

Jimbo

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Well put Dennis. Live the moment.

6. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

I see nothing good about these days. Gas is high, pay is low, most anything new is junk...the list could go on.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

If these ARE the "good old days" as you write, then why are so many trying to re-live the past? Driving old cars, and building and re-creating them to look "old". Listening to and playing old music. Dressing in older fashions, and just generally repeating what we already did in the fifties and sixties (even if slightly distorting the way it really was). Sorry, but if you need to copy a lifestyle from fifty years ago, it would be difficult to persuade anyone that now is better. :cool: I'm confused....

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Dennis,

Cool thoughts, my friend !

With me it's a 50/50 split: I was there then and, thank God, I'm here now. Both time periods have their advantages (and, yes, I would go back there in a heartbeat !). It all depends on how far your P.P.O.R. (Personal Point Of Reference) goes.

The technology, amount of quality builds, equipment, and, amount of shows are much improved today, and I love it all. But we can never lose sight of the fact that we got here through the courtesy of the Legends...who pointed us in this direction with their blood, sweat & tears.

BUT,it's a great point to bring up ! Stay safe, Dennis...see you in Salina.

Jonnie www.legend.thewwbc.net

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Amen! We're totally new to this hobby and have enjoyed every minure of our first build and now we're moving on to our next. If it wasn't fr the HAMB; we wouldn't have any direction and insight with the car; so hear's to you!

10. slammed

slammed

HEY! You missed the key point of the OP. ~Customs~

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

agreed but at the same time; in terms of the hobby of hotrodding...it's never been this popular before and there are so many new people daring to get their feet wet with the cars. We just hve to be thankful for the quality parts we can find and discourage the crap. Can't spend every day griping about the things that should get us down...instead think about all that we have and be thankful for it and what we can experience, and the people we meet through this hobby. :):D

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I think its more of a celebration of an era than someone trying to re-live those days. sure we can allt alk about american made and how things were greater in terms of lifestyle back then...but in terms of the hobby of hot rodding and customs...its never been such a huge deal before.

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Right on Dennis you nailed it good and proper. As for people dressing in old school styles,more power to them they are the ones who contribute to the massive resurgence that's is customs and hot rods and besides clothes never hurt anyone , let em be! if it wasn't for the younger guys we all would be on lawn chairs with crying dolls and watching our pastel colored pink zig zagged striped rides. How friggin boring. I don't give a shot what you wear. How you wear it and why. If you one of us a good honest guy or girl into old school rides and keeping them on the road you welcome and a friend in my book

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

14. Well said! I used to be super bummed about moving to West Texas from So Cal 3 years ago..... but after this year's LSRU....I got to see that hot rodding is flourishing in Texas....(maybe just not in west texas haha)

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Yep.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

16. Get away from Cali or any other "scene" and you will find most of us are average folks building hotrods. We don't play dressup. We don't listen exclusively to rockabilly or surf.

You could see this at BTT50s last week. HAMBers from all age groups and walks of life converging on Mpls/St Paul. We hugged, shook hands told stories drank a beer or two and walked the swap, some as old friends some as good friends for the future.

17. voodoo1

voodoo1

True to most of the comments. Nowadays tho, somepeople get too bent out of shape on little comments someone may make about their car/truck. Whether it's a hot rod, r?t rod, or whatever. Everyone has a style no matter if they like the same rig or not. Thats whats cool about this hobby. Anyone can do what they want, how they want, with whatever they have or don't have. In the end it's all personallity.

18. Kinda like diversity and San Francisco?................................ NOT!:rolleyes::D

19. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

amen brother dennis, your life story is just a slice of the whole movement ,you have got to work beside so of the icons of cool ,and it must have rubbed off on you a little !!! keep the flame burnin' mcphail you rule !!

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

And you can't see the irony of attending a function called "BACK TO THE 50's" to tell me how bitchin' it is now? Last time I checked my calendar, that was six decades ago! :rolleyes: I'm still confused... :cool:

21. Colville

Colville

I've always liked the older era because things just seemed more lax and simple. Im just glad theres so many people keeping these old beautiful machines alive for my future children to enjoy at car shows! :)

22. Dennis, you started a thread that I have been thinking about for some time. From my little corner of the world I have been observing whats going on and I like it. A lot of old guys have a lot of memories of past times and the young guys and gals are creating theirs. Thanks to todays technology the world is smaller and we don't have to wait a month to see what is happening in the hot rod- custom world. BTW, you have been a great contributor to the hobby, thank you.

23. The wave wil hit you before you even know it..........................;)

24. McPhail

McPhail

I'm just saying that I DON"T live in the past.......everybody talks about how much better it was 'back in the day'........ I've never seen the scene so alive and diverse as it is right now. I love all things mechanical, all things creative...... I build cars , and trucks now, that are traditionally styled because that's where my roots and background are. It's what I know..... I can be traditional and still try to achieve something new and innovative. gas does cost more than it did in the 50's. but the average wage is a lot more as well...... I'm not comparing our times to the 50's..... I just took a look at everything that's going oon, and i realized, HEY, it's never been like this before. just enjoy it now because you know it, today WILL be ' back in the day"...........

25. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Gotta agree Dennis, there's some great stuff happening now. I can remember a time (not so long ago) that we waited months and months for some halfway cool car show to come up. Then when we finally got to the show we were so excited and just partied like rock stars thinking we'd never have it so good again. Now there's something halfway cool every weekend and a great show at least once or twice a month! I think the reason why is because people have changed, and more people have gotten into the stuff we've always loved. It think it has a lot to do with the amount of information that is available now and there is more of a respect for the old Iron. I can go to almost any random car show now and find cars I really like. Cars that are traditionally built and done right! Or you just see neat old original cars that nobody has ever messed with. The farther away we get from the superficial 80's deep pocket street rod scene the better we all become as hot rodders, and humans!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  26. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

A saying I learned many years ago: It doesn't matter how hard a time you are having right now, in ten years time these will be 'The good old days'. :D

27. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

damn right Dennis (btw your fairlane makes me inclined to agree with you about anything). what is going on currently in the scene is crazy, all the stuff that has been taught over the years is being applied and even improved on right now. it seems like every day i see something done that makes me stare in amazement. who knows, it may not last, but right now it sure is fun.

28. erlomd

erlomd

Great philosophy and man is it nice to still have gasoline available.

29. erlomd

erlomd

amen to that, im never as happy in the present as I was in the past. what a shitty future!