Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. powhatan42

powhatan42

Lookin good! Keep up the work...

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, That grille insert is just perfect for your Willys ! It just looks great . . . .

Dave

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Dave, I really like it plus it was a hella of a lot cheaper than a repro one :D

4. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Looking good Langy, Great Progress. Your update pics are great. I agree with 41Dave.... Grille looks great.

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Oz, hows yours coming along ???

6. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Now no resting on your laurels . . . Back to work. You must complete at least one artistic miracle every 24 hrs. CRACK ! Back to work !

Dave

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Started bending the 2" rollcage last night but it pissed down all evening, got the main hoop done though.

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Looking forward to your progress on the roll bar. I know that it will be very slick. Any time picked for the dashboard and other interior panels?

Dave

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Dave i want to get the cage finished up before mounting the dash, the rest of the panels will come much later. Cheers for the interest.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

After a bit of looking at old gasser pics i decided i wanted to run 2" OD as my main cage just like they did in the 60's, I don't have a former for 2" but my good mate Gary Leyton has, Gary is a very talented race car chassis builder and a one of the good guys in our hobby so he loaded up his Hilmor and formers and popped over to my workshop.
    The cage main hoop is 2" x 1/8" wall CDS and the rest is 1.625" x 1/8" wall

It had been dry all day and as soon as work started it started pi$$ing down and never stopped, Gary said we should just carry on so we did.

First job was to make a template of the main hoop with a sheet of cheap sterling board.

[​IMG]

Once the template was made the main hoop was bent to the template. I wanted the main hoop in 2 halves as i intend to chrome the cage and the complete hoop is too big for the chrome bath so a slip joint was put in the centre of the main hoop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we had the main hoop finished we moved onto the rear facing legs, This is where it all went wrong as when we looked at the 1.625" tube it was all supplied wrongly as the wall was 1/4" so this will have to be returned and get the correct size, thats hotrodding i guess, very very annoying though !!!

Anyway this is what i have so far, the slip joint is in the last pic.
    Its a bolt in cage so mounting plates were made in 1/4" plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

More cool work...... Do you ever rest?

13. Little Terry

Little Terry

Who's the cowboy in the 2nd pic?;)

Looking really nice Steve. Can't believe that you're not using stainless for the cage though - you must be the biggest consumer of stainless steel in the south of England!

You make it look so easy!

Mark.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Mark, didn't want to do it in stainless as seamless was a small fortune to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I will have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead mate LOL

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

16. 1954satan

1954satan

its all gone quiet steve,,, more updates please.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Been waiting for the correct size tube mate, I have done a bit but not much, will take some pics tomorrow.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not much done i'm afraid as still waiting for the correct 1/8" wall tube to arrive but i got the main hoop mounting plates welded on and its all bolted down.

[​IMG]

While i was there i made some tabs to attach the B post steelwork to the cage, It certainly stiffens it all up !!!

[​IMG]

I was a bit stuck for things to do as my replacement tube still hasn't turned up but found an offcut of 1.625" CDS just long enough for the bar that my seats mount off. It needs to be removable so i used some 1.625" triangular flanges and welded on some 2" stubs that are welded to the main hoop, as this is going to be chromed the ends of the tube and the flanges have to be pre polished as its difficult to get in to the corners once welded. The flanges are welded from the inside to keep it all looking neat and tidy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the tube was notched to suit the hoop it was tacked into place, I wanted the Empi seats to be removable so i spun up some 3/4" stubs that the 1" seat frame would slide on to and drilled and welded the stubs into the cross tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Once again you have met the 24 hr goal I have set you. It is coming out mighty fine. Looking forward to the completion of the roll bar.

Dave

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha, I try mate i try.

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, The roll bar is coming out real good. Sorry for the delay in materials . . . All out of your control. You will catch up when the tubing arrives. Very good progress.

Dave

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Some of the CDS turned up which was correct size 1" x 1/8" wall so could get the seat baes made up and fitted.
    First job was to put some 90 degree bends in to form the hoop, thought about doing this in one piece but virtually impossible to get it spot on to slide onto the stubs so made it 2 pieces and used some 3/4" x 1/8" wall as a sleeve, this was rosette weled into the two halves and then the joint finish welded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i had the perimeter sorted i cut some 1.5" x 1/8" to size to bridge across and keep the tubes constant and also provide somewhere the seats could bolt to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I jumped in the seat to check the strength and it seemed fine but Gary had said earlier that he thought it could do with an extra strut just incase, I was dead against putting a strut in as i wanted it completely clear under the seats, anyways after a bit of applied thought we decided to put in a less obvious strut that would strengthen but not look unsightly.
    The tube is again 1" x 1/8" wall and has a slight bend in it to tuck it up sort of out of sight. I spun up a couple of bungs in the lathe and found two 10mm low quality rose joints in my box that fitted the bill nicely.
    A couple of brackets were knocked up that will bolt into the chassis through the floor and after welding the strut in it was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, The roll bar and the seat mounts look perfect. Like the idea for the seat braces. You are quite the craftsman. Your work is always so clean but simple.

P.S - I am considering removing the 24 hr tasking. You now have 18 hrs to come up with your daily art creation.

Dave

24. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Real fine work Langy, I like the extra Seat Strut. It looks like it belongs.

25. Racrdad

Racrdad

Man that strut under the seat was some really good thinking and looks super!

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha, thats a tight deadline but i will see what i can do Dave.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Oz, any news on yours ???

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate.

29. Hiya mate,it is I from underdown and as I was concerned about not keeping in touch,I putting an effort into this site.
    I didn't want the saddle left empty too long so the horse didn't get lonely.;);)

30. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

I just ran across this thread all I can say is WOW you do very nice work !!

Trouble