Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just when you thought you couldn't feel any stupider...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

Well, I told my buddy Jason about all my stripping rusty panels and priming woes and he starts to give me some long, involved and very good advice, and then says, "Look Bill, just don't prime anything. Strip it all down to bare metal, remove the rust, bondo and rough out all your body work and leave the panels bare. Bag them up tight in couch bags, get a few of them ready at a time and bring them to me...I'll prime them and we can even paint them at the same time if you know what color you want. We'll do all the panels first and the cab last"

So, here I wanted to do it all myself, but have found that the bottom line is that without space, or the ability to do it all in a short time frame, or the place to store multiple parts in a clean and safe manner, it's not all that easy to do. I feel stupid, and wish I had more time and space, but at least this way I know it will all be done the right way.

2. Master of None

Master of None

Just be careful panel painting high metallic paints. Sometimes when painted separately the metallic's and pearls will fall differently around corners and body lines and won't match the cab if painted off. Sounds goofy but it happened to me on a o/t 70 1/2 TA that is painted the luicerne blue. Painted it all together...problem solved.

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Just keep it all away from the dust. :){[]

4. pre fit all the parts after the bodywork before painting.

5. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Is "stupider" a word? Just asking.

6. badshifter

badshifter

Make sure whatever bags/plastic you use don't have silicone in them.

Or sand.;)

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

...more stupid.

8. Just when you thought you couldn't feel any stupider...you use the word stupider.

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

THAT was the reason I used stupider... more stupid just sounds too, anti-stoopid. I is a collige gradiate...I swear.

10. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

Good advice

11. I see you are in NorCal. The humidity can do a number on bare metal and depending on where they are stored, the bags can hold humidity. You probably see some cold weather and the change in temperature can also cause condensation. You can head off a lot of future surface rust by shooting PPG DP on all the bare surfaces. Most professional media blasters strongly suggest a coat of some sealer immediately after blasting to preserve the newly exposed metal. You might get away with a couple of weeks but the humidity will start gnawing at it pretty quickly. The rest of the advice is sound.

12. RichG

RichG

Thanks guys, I just met my ESL requirements for the day! "Stupider" is not a word, excellent!

13. long island vic

long island vic

remember too hang the doors from an a frame to paint,,,if you lay them flat the paint wont flow like the quarters

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks for the advice guys, now I feel less "stupider"...

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Hey, at least your not as dumb as I look!!

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

you can't fix stupid.....Ron White ..2005