Register now to get rid of these ads!

These ARE the good ol' days.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Jun 24, 2011.

1. McPhail

McPhail

I've been around rods and kustom's all of my life. I'm not an old timer, but for the last 45 or so years I've seen some things. I was a kid when my dad and ucles would bring me to Fundamentals carclub meetings in the 70's. I saw American Graffiti about 900 times when it was new in the theatres. I started working on Kustoms with Elden Titus when I was 12. I ditched school to be at the first Leadsled Spectacular. I've done art for Ed Roth. I shared a corner of a table with Kieth Weesner before he became a hotrod household name. I was at the first Lonestar Roundup and got to see the Texas scene flourish again. I'm not braggin, I'm not tellin my life Story, I'm just sayin, look around........ there is sooooo much more Rod and Kustom in America than there ever has been...... I see new artists, new builders, and I'm super inspired. thanks to all the new guys.........

2. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

I like your optimism and I agree. These are good times for gearheads of any kind.

3. unibody

unibody

You said it bother, there are alot of rightous rides being built these days.

4. Amen, to McPhail's words !

5. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

you guys really cheer me up.

6. I understand "period correct", but I feel the period is now.

7. rotenjon

rotenjon

Amen, there are so many kool rides now days than ever before.:D:D

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

9. ravedodger

ravedodger

Great words, McPhail.

I've had a stack of mags sitting in my office here at home with issue #21 of TRK at the top. Everytime I walk by it, I feel inspired and I've never had a desire to own a '60 Fairlane. It's one of the classiest covers I've seen.

10. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Yep......there's never been less limitations than right now....and the killer stuff people are building (think best 20%) show the results!!!

11. Dennis, you speak the truth. I say the same thing all the time. Preach it!

12. 61TBird

61TBird

13. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Dennis,

It is easy to take for granted all the great stuff around us every day. Very well put.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah man I think you nailed it on the head. As much as I love the time periods that we emulate with these cars, I don't think I would trade living now for any time in history....well maybe when the economy was a bit better but that's neither here nor there. :D

15. I agree. Another thing we are all so much more connected because of the HAMB and the internet. Locally and beyond. We can find old friends and make new ones very easily. Find information about shows and events, technical and history. These are pretty amazing times in that respect.

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

let us never forget while we enjoy the view, we are standing on the shoulders of giants

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One of my favorite quotes... I live it each day.

18. Bilt

Bilt

Well said my friend!!!!

19. Mercchev

Mercchev

20. das858

das858

Couldn't have said it any better, their are so many cool car related events now compared to the old days .

21. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Agreed. Go flick throuh a hot rod mag from the mid nineties. It was a billet wonderland of cookie cutter rides and editorial for sales a plenty! things have genuinely improved in this hobby

22. I think the Net and some TV shows have moved it faster,not like years ago when you waited for magazines to see whats new.

23. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

WOW...You are spot on...well said!

Eric

24. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Yeah, I mean, as much as we love to celebrate and hold true to the hardcore gearhead memories of days gone by, it's important, at least for our own sanity's sake, to understand that here in the present day, there's plenty to be enthused about in the current Rod & Kustom world...

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Yep, these are the best of times for hot rodders an' kustom guys. We're living proof of that.

26. sololobo

sololobo

Well stated brother McPhail, the sport is at an all time high especially the message of trad rods and customs. This forum is the biggest reason for sure. I wish I wasn't such an old geezer so I could see the next couple of decades. Oh well, it has been a great ride, I experienced the 50's-60's which were a sweet time in the sport, now the resurge is amazing with all the communications and brotherhood involved. ~sololobo~

27. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Let's just not forget where we came from, and take care never to get lost in the trends.

29. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2.....nail on head.

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Right on the money Dennis!
    Even only as far back as the 90's, when they had a Leadsled Spectacular, if you got over 300 cars, it was amazing. Felt like all the Kustoms in the US might have been there at the moment! Back then, you HAD to drive your sled, hundreds of miles, thousands even, perhaps, to see a gathering of the faithful.
    I remember you as a younger lad, trying to sell your posters, hanging out with the Johnsons, Harness', Moriarty,Shoemaker, at some of the Leadsleds. Seems like a long time ago, and look how much the movement has grown, no matter what the guys today say about not having people of similar interest close to them! Today you can gather 300 Kustoms in one state, at a good show!