Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Steve Stanford...Talkin' About Billy Gibbons, Kopperhed, and, Art !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Human Fly,

Yes,there is. Simply place your "mouse" on the "http" line, click-on it, and it will get you there...http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage34.html

Try it again, and make sure your speakers are on.

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL...

Had a great 2Hr + phone conversation with Steve last night. Wanted to let him know how fantastic the response has been to this thread, and how much respect & caring all of the Hambers here have for him !

Like me, Steve always immerses himself in work and doesn't always have time for much else...so he wasn't aware of this thread and the immediate reaction it's had with everybody here. AND, the fact that out of the 280 Pages logged-onto this month on the HOF Legends site, this portion of our Interview is #1 for this month !

He was totally elated about ALL that is going on in his life right now, including the cool spread he's gotten in the current SRP, PLUS, his moving his studios back to the site of his old friend Pete Santini (Santini Paint & Body, Westminster, CA.).

We talked about many things but the conversation, as usual, was mostly about cars, art, builders, Legends, Pioneers, up-and-coming builders, and how cool the customizers/brochures/artists/designer/illustrator's were in the 50's and early 60's cars that hit the streets.

Steve asked me to say a big "THANK YOU" to everyone here at the H.A.M.B., and that he was honored at your response. I told him how much that sense of humour, warmth, talent, and, professionalism that he has came through in these permanently recorded stories of his that you've all appreciated...as well as the stunning visuals that he creates.

STEVE STANFORD is a "Class" guy of the highest caliber, a good friend, and someone you should make sure you talk to at the next event you see him at...if you don't you'll miss out on meeting & spending time with one of R&C's true Legends whose talent transcends being "just a really good artist". Steve is a Designer/Illustrator of the highest quality whose body of work will go down as one of the ultimate best of all-time.

AGAIN...THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE AT THE H.A.M.B. !

Steve on Billy Gibbons & Kopperhed:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage34.html

Steve on the New AMC:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/about5.html

BELOW...

That's Steve & myself taking a Test Drive in Jeff Myer's Caddy !

[​IMG]

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool older post, thanks for posting the link I borrowed some pics......

This is a kool example why I love Stanford’s illustrations. He comes up with practical
    ideas that make you think. When you work on kustoms you need to think out of the
    norm. I hate too hear that everything has been done before and that is not true. Check
    out the T-Bird below, I would love to see this concept built.

[​IMG]

Very kool mild kustom

[​IMG]

Below is proof that God has blessed him with talent. He can even make a VW Thing look kool…. LOL!

[​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks, Mick !

You're right, Steve's always way ahead of the curve...and you can hear the excitement & enthusiasm in his voice as he explains his process.

Oh, and about that cool Thunderbird/Lincoln up above:
    Many don't know, or have forgotten, that the '61-'63 Birds share the same cowl as those Lincolns ! And, they were built at the same Wixom, Mich. plant.

5. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Yep, me too. I remember staring at his car renderings in the magazines back in high school and being amazed by them (still am). Luckily, I came across him at a car show once and got to tell him that he was one of the reasons that I became a car designer too.

He's just the nicest, most humble person. Great guy.

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Tbomb428, dart165...

You're both right on the money ! Mild-mannered, multi-talented, genuinely nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, steeped in the history of his profession...Steve Stanford is all that and much more. And his work over the last 30 years has influenced many to follow in his footsteps.

Also, the other night in our conversation, I asked him about that super-neat kustom Caddy he's had in storage for years and he told me he's working on getting it back on the street again. When he gets a few moments after his move back to Santini's he wants to restore it to its former glory.

Knowing Steve, it'll be better & badder than ever !!

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

7. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Great guy, great artwork, humble, fun to be with, etc,etc. Roger

8. I'll never forget my first exposure to Steve Stanford! He sent in a letter to the editors of Street Rodder and it was posted in a 1978 issue. Steve had drawn a custom '58 Impala, half on the envelope and half on his letter. So that if you line up both halves, ya had the whole car. At the time I thought it was just plain creative. The rendering was out of site!

I've been a loyal fan of this living legend ever since....

Joel

9. ABARTH

ABARTH

I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere, but unlike most of his peers, Stanford didn't go to school to draw: it's a NATURAL talent. Unreal.
    And for those who mentioned Foose earlier: if you ask Chip who his favorite artist is, I've heard him say Stanford. Just sayin . . .

10. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

I met Steve at Lead East in the late 90`s and just really enjoyed hanging out with him for awhile. We walked the show a bit, and the man commented positively on almost every car that caught his eye. He did a drawing of my 58 Pontiac for me as well. The car is gone but I will have the drawing forever. A great guy I hope to meet again.

11. The yellow F100 is KILLER.

Thank you Steve Stanford. You are the best, my favourite. You helped me confirm where I wanted to go with my own car illustrating, thanks to my discovering Street Rodder on the newsstands (half way 'round the world!) back in the seventies.. Your style is embedded in my psyche, I studied it ..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

veedolpaul: Great memories ! Thanks for sharing, Steve will love that story !

Spoggie: Your work is beautiful ! Steve has impressed so many who have wanted to follow in his footsteps illustrating creative AND driveable Rods & Customs. Your comments echo the feelings of many...thank you so much, and stay safe in "The Land Down Under" !

PS: Here's another cool Link for you. It's Steve's story about that wild '63 Chevy Impala from BARRY PENFOUND, PLUS his artwork on ROGER O'DELL'S gorgeous '57 Caddy Seville, which included major input from LARRY WATSON. And, was also worked on by the Legendary SAM FOOSE.

Listen as Steve explains his process of putting the concepts of these two beautiful rides together...and, his thoughts on the finished product !

BOTH Roger & Barry loved hearing Steve's personal comments on these iconic kustoms.
    Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage82.html

[​IMG]

13. smoothie51

smoothie51

I just came across this thread about Steve.

Mick -- thanks for the complement on my car, and on Steve's rendering. Attached is the original drawing that appeared in Rod and Custom in June 1995 that I based the car on. I met him at the KKOA Salina show in 2008 and had the drawing with me and asked him if he would like to see the car. Also attached is a shot of Steve and me in front of Smoothie.

I agree with what's been said about Steve. An absolutely great guy ... best custom car artist ever. I wish he live closer to Texas, and hope to hook up with him this year when I go to the LA Roadster show (Smoothie & I will be in the Specialty lot).

Augie

Attached Files: