Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ===== Friday Art Show 6/24/2011 =====

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyronaut

gyronaut

GaryC: Don't give up! 20 years isn't that long. Here's the original, the chassis with two Ford 289 Cobras, and the line drawing comparing it to the Continental. These were originally part of the Duesenberg revival, but when that effort collapsed, Alex thought they were too good to go to waste, so he began the Sarantos name. He got quotes for the bodies from an Italian coachbuilder that Brooks Stevens put him in touch with. They've got great history. As Alex said: "Imagine driving from the back seat of a Lincoln Continental..." You'd have made Alex proud with your work!!!

...and thanks to all for posting such inspirational work. Truly great talent here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Devoz

Devoz

The center section sure has a first gen Viper look to it.

3. bmnnevels

bmnnevels

18 x 24 original artwork for sale $200.00 shipped.

Attached Files:

4. joebuick

joebuick

here's some stuff that is up for auction or raffle tommorow at the Cars and Stripes charity art jam.
    framed photos by 1904 photography
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a purse by Chick
    [​IMG]
    I'll post more in a little bit

5. Great show guys!

6. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Cool Clock, Ikea Rules for me, cool stuff, great price, Sveden made.... ,,,, Great show everyone, Fridays the best here......

7. ED you are a freak! (i mean that in the nicest possible way:D). i still can't believe these are drawn with a pencil.... wow. keep up the great work

8. joebuick

joebuick

here's more aution and raffle pieces from the cars and stripes show tomorow
    a panel by Jeff Styles
    [​IMG]
    3 original pieces by Little C of Little C's tatto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and some shoes purses and other pieces by Bonnie holly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. joebuick

joebuick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kong and Bonnie Holly will also be striping live on site tomorow all proceeds go to the kids. Hopefully we will see some of you out there.

10. i gotta second Alan Johnson's book, there's some really good exercises in there to help get your lines straight and even, also i'd suggest finding yourself a piece of glass or plexiglass to practice on (if you can stripe on glass, you can stripe on anything;)). i also hear thet Herb Martinez' guide to pinstriping is a good book tho i haven't read it myself. oh and practice, practice, practice:D. have fun with it

11. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

display stand for the new piston knob. Maple & aluminum.

Attached Files:

12. mlomaka

mlomaka
    from Ohio

Wow!!! Great Friday this week! Too much great stuff to list. Keep it coming guys. Here is one I was just finishing. Not sure how HAMB friendly it is, but I am doing a series on concept cars. This is taking a PT Cruiser and making it look like the pronto.

[​IMG]

Mike

13. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Pretty unconventional paint job for a motorcycle - maybe that's what I like about it!

14. boldventure

boldventure

Neat stuff!
    I need to spend a little more time at your website...

15. Pharouh

Pharouh

That is so 60's! I love it! Can you imagine how long the hood would be for that car? Great artwork!

16. philo426

philo426

Looks like a Stutz from the '70s!

17. gyronaut

gyronaut

The actual quote from Tremulis' entertaining description in April 1966 Motor Trend: "Just imagine sitting in the rear seat of a Lincoln Continental. Someone places a steering wheel in your hands, and from then on it's all hood. In front of you stretches the world's longest hood, embraced by two straight-through, classic, aerodynamic fenders that are 12 feet away from your eyes."

Even though these airbrush and watercolor illustrations are over 45 years old, and probably off-topic to today's talented Friday Art Show artists, they are accomplishing exactly what Alex Tremulis had intended: to inspire the future generations to learn from the past designs. Of all the great cars he designed and crazy concepts he nurtured, he felt his greatest contribution to the art was in the creative growth of his students and watching their success as they built their own careers. Those were his most proud moments.

A big THANKS to GaryC for bringing them back to life!!!

I'll post more of Tremulis' writings, photos and renderings on the regular message board. In the mean time, keep on creating. This is one of the best boards EVER!!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  18. This is my project for today:replacing the numbers and striping on a 1966 Ford GT-40 Mk.II.Bodywork was done by 203 Custom Car Works in Ypsilanti Michigan;mechanicals by an outfit in Plymouth(wish I could remember the name;I didn't deal with them).Car has been in the Indianapolis Motor sports Museum since 1967 and restoration was started about 3 years ago.When finished it will return to the museum.
    Engine is a Holman-Moody 427 side oiler with the early style 4-speed transaxle(the later ones used a 5-speed)making about 485hp in race trim.You have to hear this thing run to really appreciate loudness.
    Hardest part of the job was trying to figure out the exact dimensions of the numbers and the proper layout of the roundels.Also the layout of the side striping.Tomorrow they will add the day-glo green to the front(with rattle cans just as it was originally done to tell which car was which at LeMans) and then it is the finish assembly.Also hard was trying to letter with one hand and balance myself on a platform and try not to place my other hand on any place that might dent or crack.The body is fibreglass and aluminum and very fragile.
    Not much artwork involved but I thought people might like to see it.

Attached Files:

19. GaryC.

GaryC.

Thanks so much for the post and the very kind comments.
    I didn't really do this art for The HAMB show, or any other show, for that matter, but it seems that there are some like-minded folks who appreciate the genius of Tremulis. I thought this piece would go practically unnoticed. You never know.

His work has been a huge inspiration since I discovered him back in the 60s. I'm actually thinking about doing another of his swoopy Corvette influenced designs. But for now, a big thanks!

I hope to see more of your collection soon.

GaryC.

20. GaryC.

GaryC.

This is just great!

21. Toyghoul

Toyghoul
    from SPOKANE

Great stuff all!! I added a few more designs to my stickers today. More to come!

Attached Files:

22. New stuff on it's way but needs to either be wrapped up or approved before they go public so here's a few old doodles just to get involved in a great weeks worth of artistic brilliance...

Ed (some of my favorites), Todd(Ditto Ed's), Neal( sweet! ), Gary (Stutz), Nor-do-well (you do so well.),... great stuff! All the striped stuff's killer too, stripe artists ... and so many more... Ger, Bo, Spoggie, the list goes on and on and on........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Squindo

Squindo

Just sneaking in last minute here again! Finished this guy up the other night and printed up a bunch of Tee shirts in the 3D version. Gonna break em out at Heavy Rebel Weekeender next week in NC.

Attached Files:

24. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Nice....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.