Register now to get rid of these ads!

Package arrived today no part?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I pack everything to survive the worst abuse possible because I know how brutal these package handlers can be. I often throw my packages if I have any doubt about how well I packed the item.

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

No response to the kind hearted offer?

3. Dapostman

Dapostman

Have the sender give a description of the item. If found it can be returned.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I missed this It was for a 1936 ford it was going to be a extra.

5. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

It's been just over 2 hours ... some folk don't live on the HAMB. :p;)

6. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

My take on this. It was 99% the sender's fault. You wrap the item up, so there are no sharp corners. You pad the item, to make sure it won't break. You wrap it in a small layer of cardboard, or put it inside a padded envelope, and then inside a cardboard box. I always double layer, everything I ship. You pack the inside of the box, on the bottom, sides and top so the item can't move in shipping. You take a picture of the packaging before you tape the box shut,(It's called protection). This is to prove to who ever you are using, be it UPS, USPS, or FedEX, that you packed it properly. Do not use newspaper to take up space inside a box, unless it is a very light piece. UPS will not refund if it was packed with newspaper on the inside. I always use bubble wrap. I always insure the package, and always pay for delivery confirmation, if shipping USPS. People get lazy when they are moving these things from conveyor belts to carts or other conveyor belts. In the Post Office they toss packages 10ft. or so. I know I retired from there. If the shipper is a responsible person, he will follow up with you. You both have some work ahead of you. The buyer will have to keep all packing & shipping material to show the Postal clerk. (If it wasn't insured, you may be screwed). The sender will be the one making a claim, as he is the one who paid to ship it. He will need his receipt. Both of you should keep in touch with the USPS, as it may turn up in lost and found. If no one has a claim in for it, it will be sent to Cincinnati, Oh.(I think) and auctioned off. Bottom line, you never received your item. Take a picture of the package and email to the sender. If he is a decent guy, he should refund your money. Good Luck.

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

50/50 on the fault maybe. But probably wasn't intentional on the seller's fault and not sure it is worth all the fuss to go after anyone for it. Just sort of the risk of shipping stuff no matter what it is or how it is packaged.

Some people just have no clue how to ship something safely. Probably should have been a bit more bullet proof than a padded envelope. Even a box is no real guarantee of anything as most of us know all too well, but better odds if nothing else. Might have been crushed int he box, but likely the leftovers would have still been in there.

Still, kind of odd that the end was just ripped open and it came out. But, I'm sure all the shippers have junk all over the place that comes out of boxes and no way to trace where it came from. Not just USPS, all of them. Most of the time, this probably would have made it to you fine, but just not this time. Happens, law of averages and taking your chances.

8. Like the other guys said, I am amazed that some of the parts I have purchased stayed
    in the package. I received a set of early Ford spindles and hubs the other day. 50 pounds of iron thrown loose in a single strength cardboard box. The UPS guy had to make two trips to the door, one with the shredded box and one spindle/hub assy, the second trip with the other spindle/hub that had fallen out. What was the shipper thinking.

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Envelope shows $2.56 in postage so something was in there...also doesnt look unsealed as others have said...the sticky side of those padded envelopes normally seal really well. I think it was "unsealed" by either a USPS, or contract worker they have moving mail. No amount of tape can protect a package from prying hands. There arent any marks on the envelope from being caught up in machinery....looks like someone's fat finger went in there and opened it up...

You would be surprised how many non USPS people touch mail when it goes through airports etc....I say the seller did ok, USPS screwed you...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  10. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Worked for the PO for 30 years,and that was one of the things we away looked for (36 horn button). I never found one ,but we did find a lot of envelopes,unsealed. We would stamp them "received without contents" and send them on. A 36 horn button is just not worth my job. Sorry about your lost,but would have to say it was not wrapped properly.

11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Larry W...I am sure youre a fine guy...but there are many workers who touch mail who ARENT US postal employees. I worked at LAX for over a decade and many contracted companies handle mail. People you wouldnt want to wash your car. They have an $8 an hour job to lose, not a career like yours.

What was shipped was a horn cap...not a heavy steel disc...for the packaging to have failed in the way it did...there had to have been something very heavy in there or have sharp corners to open up the entire edge of the package like that. I still say someone opened it. A small hole in the package on a sharp corner or a clip from the horncap sticking out and bent..yes those are packaging errors. But an entire open end from a light item inside? With $2.56 in postage? For shits and giggles you should take your horncap (since this one was a spare) and that envelope to the post office and see if the postage is exactly $2.56...

12. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

The weight will be on the label that has the $2.56 on it.

By the way,it is 100% the seller`s fault. I ship out several items a week and nothing like that has happened yet to me,but then again I use common sense when I pack things. On the other hand,I have recieved some horribly packed items over the years. Things just tossed in a box,and taped up with masking or duct tape....even electrical tape once.

13. KCsledz

KCsledz

It got ripped open. should have been packed better. But I have to say that putting it up on the board = whiney.

14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Yes, I'm going to be a dick and say it...there's a reason that USPS is going broke. You're looking at it. Why on earth some of those guys get $20/hr to put things in a metal box, I'll never know.

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Really whinny? I thought it might help someone out and keep them from sending a part out in a paper envelope with no tape or anything. I'm out money and my part and all you have to add is it ripped open and you are whinny. I thought for a second you were the person I bought it from.

16. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Several years ago I went to USPS to mail 7 packages. I told them "I want them all insured", 6 packages arrived at their destinations and one didn't. It just so happened that the lady behind the counter didn't click the right button on the computer so that one package didn't get insured. A few weeks later part of the box I shipped the item in showed up in my mailbox inside a USPS bag, not the item, just part of the box. It was a heavy cast iron part, inside of a plastic shopping bag, with spray-foam inside the box to prevent it from rattling around with packing tape all around it. The piece of box I got back was shredded. Someone clearly tore into the box to get to the contents. Maybe I shouldn't have shipped the part in a "Turbonetics" labeled box, but it's all I had that would fit. I had to refund the buyer his money, eat the part, as well as the shipping cost. Now I only use UPS for shipping packages, and USPS for letters.

Bummer deal man.

17. peddlr

peddlr

If the part was not properly packaged, Wouldnt it be the responsibility of the USPS clerk where it was shipped from to tell the sender and have them repackage it? I know from experience that they will refuse a package if it is not properly packaged.

18. GT6Steve

GT6Steve
    from Las Vegas

You've touched an open wound with me.

Today I visited my worthless crappin USPS to mail a package to Canada. After standing in line for a half hour while a single sloth worked the ten window desk I finally got to the desk to be told "We can't mail to Canada cuz they're on strike". Thanx a freakin lot for reminding me why I usually choose UPS or FedEx.

Years ago I mailed a cam for regrind. I made a nice tight fit sced 40 PVC pipe shipping container with screw on ends. The idiots managed to break it and lose the cam but they carefully preserved the broken tube as they thought it was the product!

Now I'll admit the job is likely frantic and there's millions of bits going by with all levels of packaging but GDammit shouldn't they give just the slightest Fliying fark about their customers and try to retrieve these things for identification and recovery?? I mean a cam, a unique horn button, these things can be identified and recovered if any body cared.

The government is the enemy....

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I was on a job in Kansas City, Kansas in the early 80's and the Fed Ex slogan of "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnite" was in everyone's mind, the company I worked for sent me a new set of amended prints that were critical to the job progress...3 days later..still no prints, could not find them, couldn't track them either...company sends new set... I got them... but I was there for 4 month's and the original shipment never showed. The Fed Ex investigator even called me once to see if they showed up..LOL.. go figure I guess it's in all aspects of the shipping business.:confused:

20. al8apex

al8apex

EVERY Post Office station I have been to in the last week had MULTIPLE notices about the strike in Canada placed on the doors, the windows and the counters ... EVERYWHERE!!!

[​IMG]

then I am behind this twit that gets to the counter and has a hissy fit because she can't send her precious letter to her friend in Canada ...

HELLO ... open your fucking eyes and pay attn, HOW MANY TIMES do they have to post it?

And what ever happened to people paying attention to the news ... it is NOT a secret .... they had talked about it for weeks

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  21. Apparently everyone replying to this are excellant shippers, and are infalable. Reality of this experience is the shipper sent the item in what he believed to be a package suitable with consideration of its size and weight. No mention was made whether you asked for, or if you insisted on insurance, or for that matter if he suggested it. Unfortunate situation, yet another case of what the results may be when one assumes too much. No villains here just a poor judgement call.

22. GT6Steve

GT6Steve
    from Las Vegas

Sorry Mister postal worker but there were no notices anywhere about Canada out here in the west and even the clerk was unsure and had to check with a superior regarding shipping to canada.

Sorry to say it but my local USPS is a bunch of dipshits who can't even open the windows on time! If they were a for profit industry they'd have been out of work long ago.

Mind you, I have high regard for the postal service in general, likely the best in the world for the price. It's just this bunch of fuckwads in North Las Vegas that are totally worthless!

23. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I shipped a super charger,small Judson to a fellow using USPS. He called me and wondered why I shipped him a broken blower and no crank pulley. I was shocked and he was upset. I told him that I did not sell him a cracked blower and that it was fine when it left my shop. He said well you put it in real good bubble wrap and the box was not damaged. I did not use bubble wrap and told him so. I described the box I used and we both found that the box was different. After digging around in the bottom of the box he found a note from usps that said sorry, the box was destroyed and so they repacked it and sent it... broken blower and minus the missing pulley. Sometimes you pays your money and takes your chances...and the morons screw up.

24. lurch13

lurch13

im the one who sent out the package. this is the first time for me anything has been lost or damaged. i have sent heavier things in the same padded envelops with no problems and i always add tape across were it seals. the post office is to blame and this post was uncalled for me and the buyer could of worked something out before he put me on trial even though he didnt mention any names.i have the postage receipt to show anyone who wants to see it. i have been more than responsive through pms with the buyer in fact this is what i pm'ed him when he first told me about the problem.

Default Re: horn button
    wow thats the first time that somethink like this has ever happened. with all the parts i have shipped in the past nothing has been lost. was the package just opened on the sealed end or was it package ripped up? ill take your word for it and send you a refund through paypal let me know if it is found.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by temper_mental
    The envelope arrived but the part was missing it was stamped unsealed without contents.

now after reading this thread i feel the post office is fully at fault. i been the buyer before and a same situation has happened to me im sure its happened to everyone before. i guess i am just going to add insurance in the price of everything i sell from now on. so i wont be at fault again.

its also funny that some of the people with negative things to say on this thread i have mailed you parts before and you were happy with them.

sorry this happened i dont just use this forum to sell parts. if i have something i know im never going to use i sell it and hope it can help someone out. this is a great forum and i read it everyday . everyone has a opinion and can say what they want but i just wanted to put my side of the story out there since it was made public.

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

They are a For Profit Company. They have been since 1969.

26. I guess ive just been very lucky, as ive swapped hot rod bits from NZ, with USA hambers, with no problems at all.
    I think this thread is a great way to make us all aware, that care is needed whenever shipping anything, anywhere. Overkill on the packaging is never a bad thing, and hopefully, we have all learnt something here.

Temper_mental, i hope this works out for you.
    But regaurdless of the outcome, thanks for the informative thread.

27. GT6Steve

GT6Steve
    from Las Vegas

And do I read in the news they are in danger of going out of business because of so many other companies doing it better????

Like opening the windows within fifteen minutes of the posted opening times???

I'm sorry but these guys are a bunch of losers who clearly have little regard for their customers.

that said, the one girl working the only open window of ten seemed very pleasant and helpful once you got to the window. It's the management, not the workers.

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Dude, only 4 posts so far and this is what you contribute? Take a minute to calm down and relax and come back later with something constructive to do. A lot more on here than bitching about the post office.

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Traded carbs with a kid on another board and gave him specific instructions on how to package the one he was shipping. It arrived with the throttle linkage sticking out the side of the box. Amazingly it was not damaged, instead of following my instructions he had put a few wadded up plastic Wal mart bags in the box for "padding" and that was it. I had tightly packed his in high density foam and about a half mile of packing tape on all the box seams and corners.

Bought a cam off eBay, the seller slapped a label and a couple pieces of tape on the cam box and sent it just like that. It made it OK but I don't know how.

On the other hand I just received a set of headers from Gotelli Speed Shop in San Francisco via UPS, I'm in Illinois. The box was beat and battered but when I opened it they had wrapped each individual header in miles of heavy wrapping paper, all the other parts were wrapped in heavy paper and then mummified in packing tape. After all that the empty spaces were filled with those plastic "pillows". Needless to say in spite of the appearance of the box the contents were safe and sound. My only "complaint" is that they only sent me one of their speed shop decals.;)

30. GT6Steve

GT6Steve
    from Las Vegas

You are so totally correct. Apologies are due to all.

I was pissed off and this post touched a sore.

I went off with nothing constructive, not at all what I promised in my introductory text.

Please accept my apologies to all and I'll Shut the F up until I have a useful post as promised.