Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bob's Big Bel Air Build Thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibob, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Looks kewl. Can't wait to see more pics.

2. ratt7

ratt7

Great car!! whether lowered or not that model year has a nice stance about it.

3. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

looks sick now that is lower !!!sweet ride and o I go the meeting :)

4. crawdadfox

crawdadfox

Tough crowd here for bags and big wheels, but heres my old 61 Bel Air on bags.

Attached Files:

5. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Now that is where I was heading. You got any extra trim crawdadfox? I need both sides.

Thanks for the compliments too, thanks for the suggestions as well. I looked at some Superstock cars and turns out there was a guy out east (Dave Strickler) who used to run a '61 bel air. I got all excited about making mine look like a S/S car and did some research, but then thought- mine is just a 283 2 bbl. so if I were to do it I would want it correct, not a "fake" so I would need a 409- and this kid doesn't have that kind of scratch laying around for that. SO... bags and wheels I think is right for me.
    Oh, here is a new picture too.
    [​IMG]
    DSC_2138(2) by Malibob, on Flickr​

6. Deuces

Deuces

You best delete that photo of the big wheels before the guys here go ape shit on ya!! .... And go do an intro on the top of the forum page...

7. crawdadfox

crawdadfox

Thats funny! I have had a few rigs with "site correct rolling stock" before! Cool car Malibob! The side trim will be a bitch though...mine was a little thrashed and i looked for a while with no luck.

Attached Files:

8. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, bummer ain't it??? Seems lately that everyone that buys one of these old jems, they end up slammin' them... Sad! :(

9. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

It is always for sale.

I would also like to point out that the air ride will allow me to set the car up high in the front to look like a superstock car too when the mood strikes. I do not want to have a fake car though and cannot afford to do a S/S right.

Deuces, I respect your taste, but you should also respect mine. Lets not turn this thread into a debate over which is better.

10. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

See, if I were to build one I would want it to be an accurate tribute car to this one.
    [​IMG]

11. Big Nick

Big Nick

I dig it man, one of my favorite body styles!

12. Deuces

Deuces

I see your point.. No biggie!! Got a wedding to go too!! :eek: Talk to ya later!... :)

13. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Okay, strayed a little while back and tried the big wheel thing. I should have stuck to my guns a long time ago. I cleaned up my torquers and threw some new mickies on (port-a-walls). I couldnt be happier. This drives better, looks better (in my opinion) and stops better too. Now I am thinking about getting guts in it and maybe even keeping it a while. Depends on what else I find I guess. Well been a while but here are the newest pictures.

[​IMG]
    Bagged 1961 Bel Air by Malibob, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bagged 1961 Bel Air by Malibob, on Flickr

Oh and if I really want that vintage feel at a show, I can air it all the way up and this is how it sits:
    [​IMG]

Anyways, that's the progress so far, I am super happy with the car now that I "fixed" it (appearence wise anyhow)

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeeeeeeet 61!

15. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Long time coming but here is an update...

Well I got the trim, I got the ambition to start working on it and decided to start with the lower control arms (they need new bushings). The drivers side that I started with is the absolute worst one EVER. I have been beating on it for the past 2 nights for a couple hours at a time with no movement whatsoever. So now I have to decide whether or not to cut it off or find another way. Suggestions welcome. (I have no torches so cant go that route).

As for the trim, waiting on some new trim clips and gonna start throwing that back on. Trying to decide whether to polish that or leave it all scuffed up. Will post pictures soon.

16. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I love the wheel and tire combo!! really cool car man.

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

18. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Yeah thats the goal, I got to get that stupid ball joint off first though. Think I am cutting it off tomorrow. I will take a picture to show everyone. I have never seen anything like it with a ball joint.

19. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Well... ended up cutting them off. They weren't going anywhere. Now I got to take the spindles off completely and try to burn them out. So much for trying to do some simple upgrades for the spring.

Well as soon as I get this wrapped up I can get back to the trim install. At least that is something to look forward to.

20. Clik

Clik

Yeah, I think the higher stance goes with the more vertical rear window style. Leave the suspension alone.

21. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Well, front end is now rebuilt and trims are on. Going to clean them up at some point but figured I would throw them on for World of Wheels
    [​IMG]
    IMG01022-20130123-1628 by Malibob, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  22. caveman3094

caveman3094

i like it dude. Those three on the trees are a blast to drive. good luck with her.

23. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Man I love that 61.. One day I will own one...

25. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

something has to give---your car sits higher than your truck---looks like a great start -love those flat roofs---enjoy

26. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Well, got a TH350 for it last night- gonna get that going this week. Going to have a local shop put it in for me. Before I get all kinds of black and blue balls over this- I got 2 little ones at home and for what I was quoted my time is more valuable with them than in the garage for this. I can still work on the smaller stuff afterwards. So think once this is done pretty much wont want to drive anything else (once the weather breaks)

27. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh