Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hold on to your Craftsman tools...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Master of None

Master of None

Man Deuces seems your being the bearer of bad news lately. First Autolite now Craftsman....how about a I got a new project thread?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Can't afford one right now.. :( I'm all about preechin' the good word.... Read my sig down below...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Deuces

Deuces

I could do a buildup of a tunnel rammed 5.0L Ford motor later down the road... And take a shit load of pictures of the build process...

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Look on the good side, all those R** Rods will have tons of door and trunk handles to pick from. But really, whats all the fuss ? There a good tool and will be somewhere to be had.

5. Master of None

Master of None

Sorry to hear that man, wish I could send you a new project to take you mind off how bad things are getting. Keep preaching the good word.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Rootbeer floats??:eek:

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I honestly do NOT like Craftsmen ratchets, I dont like a ratchet that doesnt have a push-button socket release (greasy hands) and I do not like the set-up for changing direction. I have craftsmen, snap-on and mac ratchets, the mac is the one I always use. Lots of craftsmen sockets and wrenches, extensions ect.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Still have all my Snap-On, began adding to my original set in '56. Got some other brands of 'specialty' tools along the way, (German Stahlwille, Belzer, Hazet) for the German cars.
    Craftsman supplied special sockets in the early '60s, I bought sets of shallow thinwall, medium deep (12 point) and deep. (also 12 point)
    Sears was always respondant to replace broken sockets, etc., until around 2,000 A.D.
    They were willing to replace cracked sockets, BUT NO MORE Thinwalls!
    (I had a brother that used tools up like dope. When they were gone, they were gone.)
    Snap On man (the fourth one hereabouts, never had Snap-On trouble in the Bay Area)
    refused to replace screwdrivers: the black plastic handles were MELTING in their drawer!
    I called Snap-On, they said "Send them." There were 7 pieces. Two weeks later, my screwdriver drawer had new red-and-gray handled screwdrivers in all the correct sizes.
    Last month I took a rusting channellock-type plier in for replacement: chrome flaking off the channels, rusting, just a heavy old Craftsman copy of a Channellock.
    The girl replaced it with a Knipex-type of Channellock: a German style, identical to my Knipex! I was very happy, but the sockets she gave me for the cracked thinwalls were of Chinese origin...probably soft metal, (China has no Rockwell specs)
    I go to the flea markets here, find older sockets all the time. Thinwall sockets last week, 2 of the 1/2" in 3/8" drive, one 9/16". (excellent for con rods)
    Wish I had a time machine.

9. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

A&W USA and A&W Canada are owned by two different companies that have nothing to do with each other as far as day to day operations. Canada is doing great - but Yum! Foods here in the US has been trying to unload A&W for a couple of years now.

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Fake titties taste funny (.)(.)
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

11. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, tell me about it.. :rolleyes::D

12. edweird

edweird

they did in my town.

13. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

summit tools in mcdonough Ga. sells craftsman tools now.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know, I have honestly never tasted fake titties. Now I am starting to wonder if I have missed out...:confused:

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I tried to take a couple worn out tape measure to Sears to swap out, they told me that they no longer warranty the tape measures. A few days later I went to one of the Sears/Craftsman stores, and the lady told me that they DO still swap them out however they wouldn't take mine because they weren't actually broken. (then she said if i leave and come back with two broken tapes she would swap them)

The next day I was in Ace and they had a run on 25' tapes for $5. Ace will also replace the broken crafstman tools.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Ace will do just about anything to keep the customer happy.. That's cool!

17. Rumbler

Rumbler

Seems all of the talk on here lately is how we are losing(lost) everything that has made this country so great. There must be somthn we can do to break the cycle?! maybe all members of HAMB arm up and plan a coup de tat to change things back to the way they were, or at the very least head for the desert and wait til Mad Max goes beyond Thunderdome.

18. VonKool13

VonKool13

A&W has been "Gone" for years here in So.Cal. ever since they closed the original down the street in Ontario Cal.

19. Don't know about now, but back when I was a "Magazine guy" Craftsman used to always come to town right before Christmas, and invite all the magazine editors to a show, where the reps showed off the newest, latest and greatest, tools, from Craftsman. The kinda bitchin' part was that the Los Angeles stop, where all the Primedia Editors (They were McMullen/Argus back when I got to go, to give you a time frame) were, was the last stop, and a lot of the stuff was given away in contests, as the people didn't want to have to ship all that stuff back to, IIRC, Illinois. I still have my "75th Anniversary" screwdriver set, and a honest to God Gold plated 3/8 ratchet, that they gave away during their yearly visits. The idea, of course, was that the editors would say something nice, or use, the newest, latest and greatest tool, during one of their builds, or Tech stories, and thereby promote the Craftsman brand. I remember asking the guy once, and he said that a company named Danneher made the hand tools for Craftsman, although I don't have any clue if they still do, this was back in the late 1990's/early 2000's.
    I still remember Bob McClurg walking out with that brand new, ball bearing slides, roll away one year, too....

20. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Spot on!

21. Clik

Clik

I usually bought Craftsman because the were a reasonable deal for the money. Sometimes you get in a tight place where there isn't enough clicks in the ratchet to get any action and that's when you realize why so many pros rely on Snap-on.

22. We've called Sears tools crapsman in a kidding manner for years. Really, the ratchets are CRAP, but the hand tools are great for the money, especially when they have big sales. Hope they stay afloat like Chevy, FoMoCo, etc.

23. I loves me my Dual 80. Snap On has some items on sale right now until the end of June. The FL80 is $81.50 (reg $94.95) on the web site, so about $21.50 more than this:

I saw this in Sears yesterday: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...ame=Ratchets+&+Sockets&sName=Ratchets&prdNo=2

84 teeth. The mechanism felt decent enough...kind of an odd handle shape, though. Still, might be worth a look.

24. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Who cares the zombies are going to take over after the apocalypse anyway 12/21/12 better hurry up and get my car done so I can at least get a couple of cruises in.

25. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

DAMN-IT man

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

x2. or Mac. Hard to spend too much on a ratchet, especially considering how much use it gets.

27. Deuces

Deuces

Your busted!! Ha Ha! :D

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I broke a 1/2 in drive 3/4 12 pt. socket from a Craftsman set theat was my fathers' probably purchased in the 30's. I took it to the local sears and they swapped it no questions for a bright shiney chromed 3/4, cliped it to the 1930's breaker bar from the same set, and it snapped 1st try. I took it back and the guy at the counter gave me a bunch of crap about how I must have abused it. Had to call a manager to get it replaced. I also bought a 6pt 3/4 because I was sure teh replace 12pt was as poor as the one that just broke. I did use the 6pt to remove the nut I was working on.

threw the 12 pt in my misc. junk box in the bottom of the tool box. I suspect the sockets and small hand tools labled as craftsman are made "offshore" these days.

On a good note I still have the variable speed unbranded 3/8 drill I bought at the E J Korvette Store in Brooklyn in 1970 for 8 bucks. And my 3/8 and 1/2 in drive Power craft sockets set I got form JC Penney in 73, a set that has suffered no failures over the years.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've been a big fan of Cornwell for the last 18 years or so. With Snap On or Mac thrown in from time to time. And the occasional Craftsman. But I like to buy tools that will last a lifetime and really try to buy made in the USA.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just went to the MAC web site, they dont make the ratchet I have anymore!:mad: