Register now to get rid of these ads!

Needing help with old mopar flathead trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 71elcamino, Jun 17, 2011.

1. 71elcamino

71elcamino

its been awhile since ive been on here. ive picked up a transmission that i need help identifying. my boss at work has an old aircraft tug that he pulled apart. it was an old mopar flat 6, 3speed manual toploader. he doesnt have the block anymore, but he has the head(which i havent found yet). i mistakenly threw out the old waterpump, distributor, fan. i have the dizzy cap, the trans, bellhousing, flywheel, and hopefully ill get lucky and find the head. i was wanting to see if someone could identify the transmission, and if so, what is it worth? thanks a bunch in advance. sorry for the crappy pics, ill upload better ones tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My guess/opinion is that it is a Dodge truck tranny...........just how old is/was this tug anyway?

Ray

3. 71elcamino

71elcamino

honestly i couldnt tell you. he has the rolling chassis/steering sitting behind the hangar, and all the other body components sitting around. its pretty old. but i am dead positive after throwing out those couple parts, and then getting the itch to do research it was a flathead dodge. he told me that about 15 years ago it went bad, so he pulled it apart, took block down to a local mechanic shop to have it rebuilt, and after several month of them saying they couldnt get the parts he gave up, and forgot about the engine. out of curiousity im going to try and find that shop and maybe ill get lucky and they may still have the block. the head is laying somewhere in the shop and ill hunt for it today and any other parts i can find. the crank was left outside and is ruined. but the trans is in good shape, and shifts no problem, and still has fluid in it that looks good.

4. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

The bellhousing looks like a standard truck 218/230 flathead dodge.

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Looks like early Dodge truck, as Hnstray said. These were much the same from mid thirties to mid fifties. Not really rare and valuable IMO-unless you need one.

6. 71elcamino

71elcamino

ok, well thats some info i didnt know. never been big into mopars, my boss offered it and i thought it was a very unusual find. they just dont seem to be very popular. here are some better photos. And what do you guys think the value of it is?

Attached Files:

7. RodStRace

RodStRace

You threw out some stuff, were given the rest and want to know value?
    Give it away to a good home....

8. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

the bell housing definitely looks late '30s-late '50s Dodge truck; the transmission looks late '30s-late '50s Dodge truck 3 speed, but there appears to be a PTO cover on the right side that is not the same as the PTO that was available on 4 speeds. At any rate, that gear box is not really designed for anything other than tractor work, probably never saw anything over 3000 rpm, and ain't synchronized to boot.

9. 71elcamino

71elcamino

yes i would like to know the value, it was given to me as payment for some extra side work i did for him, i asked for the trans as payment cuz i thought it was kinda cool and could probably sell it instead of him scrapping it. and the stuff i threw out was junk. i have the 1bbl B&B Chrysler Carter carburetor. seems to be in good shape.

10. rustychrome

rustychrome

I have a few running 218/230 motor and trans...I pick them up anywhere from Free, to $300 for one that was recently rebuilt. Thing is, they are a great long lasting motor. Their are some things to look after, but you can get a long life out of them. You aint gonna blow doors off, but kept up, its not a bad inline, and its a flatty!

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

If you can find someone who needs or wants them, I would say the trans and bell are worth $15 - $40 each. Good luck, Joel

12. 71elcamino

71elcamino

what about the carb? its a B&B chrysler carter 1 barrel. is it worth anything?

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The trans is a non-syncro 4 speed ,unless someone is restoring a 40s Dodge truck worthless. Scrap value. Carb $5-10 as a core. Just because something is old don't mean it has much value.

14. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

What shape is the carb in? I might be interested if it's a runner. PM me.

dka

15. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Some of the old MOPAR transmissions had the date and model stamped on the rear of the case where you could see it. They aren't worth much, but there are parts to rebuild them, and they're aren't terribly expensive either.

Attached Files: