Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bare metal finish. How hard to keep up.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivrat, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Im digging the bare metal look. But was wondering about the up keep. Any tips. Any more pictures?

Attached Files:

2. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Do like the top fuel guys and just sctochbrite it with WD40 once in a while... or better yet, suede clearcoat the thing and never worry about it again.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

4. ronk16

ronk16

I think eastwood co. has a conversion coat that will keep the moisture from attacking the bare metal for a year at a time, has a step 2 to reverse and clean the metal to continue your work.....look on the Powerblock.com site on spike tv, look under the trucks show, I`m pretty sure I seen it there......

5. You should contact Bass, he knows what it takes and he is the master

6. skyrodder

skyrodder

gibbs will attract dust like crazy, just dont drive in the rain and keep on fine sanding when you get some flash rust

7. 8-Track

8-Track

Gibbs brand penetrating oil is what every one uses. the key to the oil is that it contains Isopropal alcohol in it which disapates water, the same ingredient that is in rain-x.
    You can buy it at the Hot rod Co. they are a H.A.M.B alliance vendor.

8. beauishere

beauishere

I recommend Gibbs as well. It's worked great for the Naked Milner. Good luck

9. 47studes

47studes

I would use an oil or bare metal treatment, if you clear it and there is any moisture trapped under it if will rust then it even harder to get rid of

10. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

What would be the best way to get it uniform. Would I just go from coarser to finer paper.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Buy some gibbs....by the way that was so 2010. paint is KING!!

12. baremetal48

baremetal48

Thats my old 48 chevy pu in the first pic. I ground it down with a pretty coarse disc, don't know what it was off hand. I think it was made by merit, blue in color. Then used rattle can clear and it held up for over 3 years, had some discoloration but held up good being i drove it in the rain alot. Had alot of people that used clear from a paint gun say it didnt hold up. I sold it to a dude in London but i believe it is still in bare metal and holding up good.

13. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Mine would be be in the garage. I'm hoping it would say up longer. Im thinking of doing a two tone. Bare metal fenders and rusty cab and body or vise versa.

14. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

By the way I love your truck. what is that bumper of of. It looks like a mid 50s caddy

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

those are 2 diffrent trucks,the fact that one is a chevy and the other a ford is the biggest hint.
    rusty cab? is that a typo or a joke?

16. jchum

jchum

i did a dodge truck bare metal clear coated it and it was a pain in the ass i ended up taking the clear coat off and hitting it with patina in a spray bottle that i got from a arts and crafts store and used a map gas torch with a realy low flame to heat the metal then left it out in the snow all winter it came out looking even cooler than i thaught it would lots of greens and reds and browns then did the back window in that safety glass that u used to find in the gym at school with the chicken wire in it was so bad ass gona do another one like it soon

17. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I should have posted the front of the chevy to not confuse some

Attached Files:

18. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Jchum, isn't that safety glass tempered, so you wouldnt be able to cut it. Did you have a glass shop make it? Do you have any pictures.

19. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Clearcoated my stripped motorcycle tank and fenders 1 1/2 years ago, looks good still.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There is a reason Skip is so popular around here.................he's usually right.

Frank

21. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Pain in the ass! [​IMG]

22. yup, Ian is right. Pain in the ass. I would go to shows and everyone would have to put there hands on the car and feel it. Bare metal is like a magnet for peoples dirty/greasy hands. The next day i would see fingerprints everywhere. I used gibbs oil. I'd spray it on thick every 4 months and it never flash rust..works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

24. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

25. Bare metal is the new flat black evidently.

26. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

So ... just to be "that way" ... precisely how is "bare metal and rust" Traditional?

I'm getting so sick of "patina".

27. badshifter

badshifter

What exactly is the point of driving a bare metal car? I get it if it's a Delorean or MAYBE an aluminum bodied car, but seriously... a two tone bare metal/rusty metal truck? WTF. If it's for some shake down miles I understand, but to make that be the end long term result? Why?

28. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Badshifter. Don't get bent out of shape on it. I'm just getting ideas. I like the way it looks but if the maintenance issue is a hassle then Im probably not going to do it.

29. badshifter

badshifter

Bent out of shape? Asking why is bent out of shape?
    You may be a little too sensitive if a simple why seems hostile.
    Good luck.

30. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

It was more of the "WTF" then the "why" comment. I'm not too sensitive. I'm looking for more opinions and less criticism. I'm good with everything tho. Have a good one.