Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's best way to patch a tire with a screw in it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Jun 23, 2011.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I usually take my tires to America's Tire and have them put on a patch from the inside. took the wheel and tire off my 61 Dodge down there a couple weeks ago and they told me they could not fix the tire because it was 10 years old.

tire has plenty of tread and no cracking... the guy just looked at the date code and said they are not allowed to touch it.

I seem to remember a long time ago I tried to patch a screw hole with some thing from the auto parts store .. like you ream it out and shove some rubber looking thread in there and some glue.... that one didn't work... at least for me anyways.

what do you guys do?? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

At your local auto parts store the sell the plug kits like you mentioned, They work for me depending on how big the hole is? Did you try reading the directions?[​IMG]

3. 2-TONED

2-TONED

grind the date off.
    yes a plug works great if its in the tread. ive had many MANY tires plugged that lasted for years. advance auto parts has good plugs.

4. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

Yeah, they worked great for me. Back in the '70's that's what we used at the Shell station I worked at. It's about ALL we used.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You're talking about a tire plug. Although some consider them the work of Satan, I've used them without issues before, including an emergency repair one cold and wet winter night with the tire still on the car. Modern tire plugs seem to work much better than the versions I remember when I worked in a garage in high school (mid '70s). There is a combination patch/plug that requires removing the tire from the rim, but it works very well. I carry a cheap plugging kit in my glovebox, and have been damned glad that I did a couple times.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Like that nonsense? Thank a lawyer....

7. When all else fails...put a damn tube in it...

8. 2-TONED

2-TONED

heres what you want. if you were here id plug it for you right now with the last plug i have.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Crankhole

Crankhole

I've always had luck with the plug kits.

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you can"t or don"t know how to plug the tire,take it to one of the smaller shops.They will patch it on the inside for you .Big shops just tell you that crap to sell you something.

11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

tire plugs kick ass. i dont care what anyone says. Ive put over ten plugs in a slit or gouge, just keep putting them in till it stops leaking. was for off highway use tho.

12. 1320/150

1320/150

and, liability..... I have used plugs for years works great. Just has to be on the tread,not the sidewall!!

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Plugs always worked for me. Been a while but last plugged tire I had.... the tire wore out before the plug.

Find the smallest used tire shop in you town and have them do it.

14. DrJ

DrJ

You have the tire off?
    Put a good quality patch on the inside.
    If there is tearing on the inside though, any more than just a round hole where the a screw was, hang it from a tree with a rope for the kids to play on.
    I patched a Pirelli that with pressure on it had a hole the size of a cigarette back in the '60's and put it back on the rear of my MGA. I put a tube in it too.
    It let go at about 80 mph in the twisty part of 101, up between San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles I think, at 3 in the morning.
    Lucky the spare still held air even if it was bald. I slowed down after that.
    The fish-tailing was "exciting" :eek:

15. I Drag

I Drag

Tighten the screw 1/2 turn.

If you ever get a nail, hammer it in farther.

16. Deuces

Deuces

I plugged a tire on my o/t pony 6 years ago.. Still no problems with it.. I use the real tacky brown "camel hair" plugs. I install those without the lube.. I did it without taking the wheel off the car.. :cool:

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hmmm... sounds like I have been tossing 20 dollar bills into the crapper when I take my tires to have them patched.

it was so long ago I don't even remember what car it was or what kind of tire... all I know is it did not work when I tried to plug the tire and I haven't given it another try.

I'll have to go get one and try it again.. I'll be sure to read the instructions this time.

18. moregsxrs

moregsxrs

More this:
    Than this:

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Originally Posted by brad chevy
    Big shops just tell you that crap to sell you something.

20. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i have had no luck with the little tube of glue that is provided in the kit, what i do is buy a tube of the black gasket sealer and the kit. i like the redish brown plugs better than the smaller black plugs. i ream the crap out of the hole(LOL) and squeeze a bunch of the high temp gasket sealer into the hole and apply a crap load on the plug. install the plug and i let it sit for a day than i air the tire up, i have had no leaks and still have a tire on my truck that i did this 3 yrs ago holding air with no problems.

21. F&J

F&J

We used those on fleet vehicles. Incredible bonding.

Don't know if the glue has been changed since then, but if you got just a few flakes of rubber dust in the can, then the whole can would gel.

22. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! Like a new set of tires when you don't need'em... And then on top of that, at some places they'll charge "you" the paying customer an extra 20 or so to get rid of your old ones... If they don't do that near you, give it time 'cause they sure do it here in motown.. :mad:

23. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Exactly. Look for one of those used tire shops that have about 90% of their tires stored on racks outside. They'll patch it for typically around $10.

This'd be what I'd do. Just depends on how hard you use the tire. If you're beating the hell out of it, it won't last at all with any sort of dry rotting or whatever on them. I have lawnmower tires that I could slide 3 fingers through the dry rot cracks in the sidewall, but the tube has lasted for 3 years now with no issues or even loss of tire pressure.

Take it for what it's worth.

24. My vote. Like the best of both....A patch and a plug. I use tire cement. No special tools required,just a drill to open up the hole(think reamer),say a 3/16, scuff area inside tire,cement and pull through with side cutters. I only use Tech,and have never had one fail. Soory no pic at this time,but if you look it up,you'll see what we're talking about.
    Now this is ONLY if the tire is dismounted! On the road,and only for emergency's it's a plug kit. The dealer-TECH SUPPLY is in the Bay Area,and tommorow,I can provide you with the contact info if needed.
    Good Hunting-Kid

25. Not all tire plugs are equal. I have used Safety Seal, and Blackjack brand with great results. These are self vulcanising plugs, and dont need glue. They are stickey as hell, and do need lubricant for installation. Im not sure I would trust the cheap parts store plugs though. Tire patches are good too, and will work in some situations plugs dont, like say a 3/8 bolt stuck in a tire. On steel belted tires, plugs work better in the long run. I have seen seperated ply's caused by rusted steel belts around a patched hole. A plug would not leave the belt exposed to the elements.

26. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

.They don't work on bias plys but they're great on radials.......ask me how I know.

27. After retiring with 35 years iin the truck tire business, I'll add my 2 cents.

The RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Assoc) has a recommended procedure for repairing RADIAL tires:

Dismount the tire
    Clean out the hole and frayed belt with an apporpriately sized high speed rotary file. Nice round hole with no frayed wire ends.
    Lightly buff or clean the liner with rubber buff solution.
    Apply cement to the buff area and into the hole
    Allow the cement to tack off. VERY important
    Use a pull through plug and patch combination that is slightly oversize for the hole.
    Pull through the plug, stitch down the liner patch to remove any trapped air.
    Pull slightly on the plug from the outside and trim off flush.

The plug prevents moisture from entering and rusting the belt package, and the patch seals the air cavity and reinforces the belt package and body plies.

If it's good for 200K miles in truck tire, it's good for your car.

Find another tire dealer.

28. I forgot about plug patches. These were too high tech for the place i worked. They do seem like the best of both worlds.

29. bigger screw

30. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

********SPAM ALERT*********SPAM ALERT******SPAM ALERT***
    We sell this kit for off roaders. retail $39.99, special HAMB price $34.99
    give me a call
    800-337-9005 ext 5410, Lance

[​IMG]

<LI nodeIndex="1">Tire gauge<LI nodeIndex="2">Insertion needle<LI nodeIndex="3">Lubricant<LI nodeIndex="4">Valve core tool<LI nodeIndex="5">Four valve stems<LI nodeIndex="6">Four valve caps<LI nodeIndex="7">Reamer tool<LI nodeIndex="8">30 self vulcanizing repair cords<LI nodeIndex="9">Two allen keys<LI nodeIndex="10">Orange molded case

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011