Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eric Swenson(Thrasher Mag/Independent Trucks) R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rust Junkie, Jun 23, 2011.

1. though not HAMB related, Eric Swenson's businesses played a huge role to many of us as youths. I remember scarying the hell out of my dad when I rode my skateboard around his projects and finished cars.

RIP Eric

SAN FRANCISCO - Skateboard business icon Eric Swenson, co-founder of the magazine Thrasher who reinvigorated the sidewalk surfing craze in the late 1970s with his Independent Trucks equipment firm, has died in San Francisco.
    Police say the 64-year-old Swenson shot himself to death on Monday in front of the Mission police station.
    The San Francisco Chronicle says Independent Trucks made a high-quality truck, the metal connector between the skateboard and its wheels that enabled moves necessary for jumps and tricks.
    Swenson and friend Fausto Vitello opened the manufacturing company in San Francisco in 1978.
    Three years later, Swenson, Vitello and Kevin Thatcher co-founded skateboarding's Thrasher magazine.
    Swenson is survived by wife Linda McKay and sisters Rebekah Engle and Sonja Taylor, both of San Francisco

[​IMG]

2. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

Subscribed to Thrasher for many years and always rode (and still ride) Indies. Bummer.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn that's rough. Terrible news and a terrible way to go.

4. Labold

Labold

Sad news.
    RIP Eric.

5. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I grew up skating in So.Cal in the 70's, and my trucks of choice were Indies. Very sad news. RIP Eric :(

6. corpsewheelie

corpsewheelie

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thrasher Mag was one of the reasons I started skating. Huge influence.

8. The Internet

The Internet
    from Hudson, NH

I would like to hear the rest of the story. What (besides drugs) makes someone who has had that kind of success walk in front of a police station and shoot themselves?

I used to love Thrasher. I remember writing letters to the magazine and decorating the envelope in hopes of getting my letter published.

9. jipp

jipp

depression.. regardless of where you stand financially.. etc etc.. i used them back in the day too.. they were the best.. dunno where they stand these days not touch a skateboard for over 18 years now..

10. As quoted from The SF Examiner.

When he was about 20, Swenson severely injured his leg in a motorycle accident that kept him at Laguna Honda Hospital for more than a half year, Vitello said. Years of pain stemming from that injury might have become too overwhelming for Swenson, she said.
    "Toward the end, walking was kind of a struggle for him," Vitello said, who added that friends and loved ones can only speculate as to why he took his own life.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/201...de-front-mission-police-station#ixzz1Q7NxOX6a

11. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

-RIP ERIC.
    Thanks for bringing skateboarding to the midwest via Thrasher mags. I just found my stash of old Thrasher mags this spring and I still have my first set of indies.

12. hotdamn

hotdamn

that said though for one to take their own life infront of the police station is a bit extreme, that seems to reason a message was being sent...

either way, this is a horrible thing to happen to anyone and my heart goes out to the folks that survived him.

thats never an easy thing for anyone to have to live with...

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

14. 52pig

52pig

Wait, what? I haven't even heard! Damn I've been out for so long.
    May you find rest for your tired soul brother.

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

damn. wore many many sets of indy's. may he have a peaceful rest.

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

May he find pain free peace now.....

17. jipp

jipp

wow, that hit home with me.. i shattered my left leg and had to crawl for two days with a compound fracture dragged my self a mile and half for help.. fake knee in 2004.. and chronic pain patient now and the meds are not working to well.. i deal with depression and the pain just eats at you so yeah i totally understand what lead the man to his grave ( minus in front of a police station).. man.. so close to home.. im only 36 tho.. so if i see his age ill be honestly surprised.. i figure 5 years.. if im lucky.. one day ata time is best we can do so thats how i live.. i did a number on my leg.. laughs..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  18. my sister sent me the info last night..very sad. always loved Thrasher mag and still ride Indys. Sucks that Eric didn't think he had any other way out of whatever his troubles were. Prayers for his wife and family and friends. RIP

19. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Bummer R.I.P.

Independents for life...

Should also be noted that although he was mainly a skateboarding icon he was also a supporter of racing, I know that Independent is a sponsor of the Bean Bandits for land speed racing, so he really wasn't just a skateboard guy even though he may not have been a car builder.

20. A rough way to go for a life that effected so many(myself included) for the better. My prayers go out to his friends and family.

Attached Files:

21. RIP Eric -- Indy's rule all other Trucks Suck!!!!!

22. That sucks.....RIP

23. Crankhole

Crankhole

Sad news.
    "Built to Grind"

24. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Hero in so many ways.
    Godspeed, Eric.

Cris

25. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

RIP No talk...losta walk!!

26. slammed

slammed

Speculation of cause is not respectful. Mercy on his soul.

27. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

RIP Eric thanks for making the best trucks