Register now to get rid of these ads!

First visit to USA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer132, Jun 21, 2011.

1. racer132

racer132
    from UK

Hi all
    Looking for some advice, im planning my first trip to the USA and it has to involve a hot rod show / swap meet. which one in your opinion is THE one not to miss in 2012 ?

Thanks

2. The Hershey swap meet is very good.(early Oct IIRC)

GNRS (end of jan.) is supposed to be good. I haven't been there yet.

What part of the country are you visiting ?

3. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

southern cali has lots of car stuff , and its nice weather for us brits

4. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

Hunnert car pileup in Illinois!

5. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Los Angeles Roadster show on Father's Day weekend.

6. George

George

People have come from South Africa, Iceland & Australia to do the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour. Detroit to Arlington, Tx in 2012.

7. HAMB Drags! Duh! :D:D

8. MODELA30

MODELA30

THE HUNNERT CAR PILE-UP IN DECATUR ILLINIOS OR THE DUCKTAIL IN INDIANA. JAMES DEAN RUN ALSO IN INDIANA. JEFFERSON WISCONSIN SPRING OR FALL SWAP MEET BRING SOME GOOD SHOES YOU WILL BE ON YOUR FEET ALL DAMN DAY!!!!! JUST TO NAME A FEW!!!! Knuck From Indiana.

9. Crankhole

Crankhole

I 2nd that.

10. 11,700 cars at Minnesotas back to the 50's show:D
    thats got to be the biggest show in the USA!!!

and you will need some good shoes to see it all

11. If you want to see the highest quality cars with an emphasis on older stuff, then the GNRS has to be the one - Jan 27-29, 2012, and it is followed by the Sacramento Autorama just a couple of weeks later. Plus there are so many Hot Rod shops in the area to visit.
    If you are looking for a wider variety of cars (meaning newer as well) then Detroit Autorama should be considered. (Feb 24-26 I think)
    Back to the 50's and the NSRA Nationals in Louisville are HUGE comparatively, but they are your basic drive in type shows with a lot of mediocre cars. Just depends on what you are looking for.

12. n847

n847

GNRS, NSRA Nats in Lousville, and or GoodGuys Nationals in Columbus, Ohio!

13. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Hot Rod Reunion BG, KY held last weekend is the best as far as I'm concerned. For numbers the NSRA Nats In Louisville, KY usually has 10,000-12,000 cars and lots of vendors.

15. x 10 ;)

16. racer132

racer132
    from UK

Wow, lots to consider, now i have some show names i will do some research. Thanks for all your imput.

17. It all depends on where your planning on visiting, and when. This place is HUGE compared to home (I'm an ex-pat) and trying to squeeze stuff in just because its "cool" isn't gonna work...hell, you can spend a week in LA alone & still not see half of the stuff folk will recommend for you to see.

Decide when your coming...and where & go from there....

And personally....I'd say...Lone Star Roundup in Texas.

18. theres a million car shows in this country every year. some are so big you wont be able to see everything, even in the three days they run.

there is only one Bonneville Salt Flats. Speed week is maybe the best event there, runs a week long. you could go to bonneville solo, and you'll swear everyone knew you were comin', and they're all happy to see you, its that friendly out there. and alot of folks take thier hotrods out to watch. car show, races, and family reunion all in one.

cars shows all start to look the same after awhile, sure some have nostalgia drags and other things to try to set themselves apart from the rest, but not a single one holds a flame to a week on the flats.

19. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

I'm based in the UK and have travelled over to quite a few shows in the past, as mentioned above you need to decide where in the USA you want to visit. California has the advantage of unlimited car-related places to see and year round events and probably most Brits head straight for the West Coast. However my two favourite events are the Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green for a mix of rods, customs and nostalgia racing, or the Lone Star Round Up in Texas if you like traditional cars and a good overall atmosphere and experience. You're on here so I'm assuming you do.

Bonneville,the GNRS, and the LA Roadster show and the razmatazz that goes with it are still on my list!

L.P.

20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Hot August Nights @ Reno Nevada a Full week of Cars in August

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would seriously recommend making Hershey the big event, then pick out one of the many hotrod shows that are everywhere...finding one close in time and space should be easy.
    Hershey is not really a rod event, though it probably now contains more rods and old racecars than most rod events do, but it is the undisputed best swap meet on the planet, hosts an absolute zoo of the finest, strangest, oldest, bestest cars on the planet (in the show, in the cars for sale area, in the swapmeet) and will keep you absolutely busier and more thoroughly entertained than anything else. You will walk til you drop for about 5 days in a row, 10 or 12 days if you go the nearby Carlisle the week before, and will not have seen it all. Oh yeah, Hershey entrance is even FREE!

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Shades of the past Tennesee followed the next weekend by the grand run solid week of cars and mountains September

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Father's Day weekend in Soouthern California. Limeworks open house on Thursday, Socal and Walden's open house on Friday L.A. Roadster Show and swapmeet on Saturday and Sunday.

24. Just like Aussie Steve said, Bonneville Speedweek in august, just remember no matter where you go in America, August is the HOTTEST month of the year. Some places like the whole of the East Coast, the South and don't forget Arizona, the heat is like opening an owen!

May PA you have Jalopy Showdown, an absolute must if you find yourself in that area.

I agree on the Lonestar Round up! Great show!

There's so many shows in America, that you'll never be able to hit them all.

Have a great trip

Klaus