Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kumho pie crust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straightpipez, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Straightpipez

Straightpipez
    from St. Louis

Perhaps this has been posted but I thought it was interesting. While in the Dominican I saw these tires on a tour bus. No model name, just the size and brand name. Considering Kumho is usually a less expensive tire if these are available in the US, could be a decent alternative. They were stamped DOT as well. I can't post a photo because Yahoo owns all the damn photo hosting sites and cant get any of them work, but I found a link with a photo.

http://www.kumhotire.com/sp/tire/tire_detail.jsp?category_cd=006004000000000

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Straightpipez

Straightpipez
    from St. Louis

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Those are super heavy truck tires, they each weight like twice as much as a comparable hot rod bias ply.

I got a couple of the Nankang 6.00-16s in trade and I was surprised how much heavier they are than a Firestone 6.00-16.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 6.50-16 in the link you posted Straightpipez has a 10 ply rating. Meaning that it is stiff enough and heavy enough so that it would come pretty close to holding a light weight rod up with no or very little air in it. Those things ride pretty hard in a 1 ton truck and would bounce your teeth and everything else out on a hot rod. They look good though.

5. Straightpipez

Straightpipez
    from St. Louis

Damn, thought I was onto something.

6. This information was worth posting and examining, though. This is how good information is brought to light. Don't ever stop diggin' for good leads.

7. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

tractor supply co has these on the shelf. they are trailer tires and they suck a dick for putting on the front of your hot rod. i know from expierence. i have learned a lot from experience, like when a girl asks you to buy her a drink you shouldnnt pull out your weiner because it is a felony.

8. Straightpipez

Straightpipez
    from St. Louis

Pulling out my weiner has actually worked for me.

9. It didn't work too well for that Senator Wiener, though.

10. aircap

aircap

One of the guys in my club has Kuhmo tires on his Studebaker pickup.
    Don't know if they are the same as posted, but his work very well.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Where are these tires made?????....

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Kumho is a Korean tire manufacturer. Trailer tires have no business on cars.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  13. Straightpipez

Straightpipez
    from St. Louis

The ones I saw were on a truck and the Kumho site lists them as truck tires as well.

14. Same for cycle tires and those damn tires that look like front tires off a John Deere

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All I can tell you about Kumho tires is that they are the o.e.m. tire on Chevy Aveos and, as the warranty administrator at a Chevrolet dealership, I just submitted a warranty claim for a pair on the front of a 2010 Aveo that burned down to the wear bars in 6,000 miles. The car is owned by an older man who, I'm sure, doesn't spend his evenings trying to peel out. No alignment issues either.