Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running a early Corvette steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I am considering running a early Corvette steeing wheel on my 38 project. Also considering a early Impala wheel but I think the Vette one would be a little more hot rod-ish.
    I do have a few questions. From what I can fugure the wheel and hub are seperate. Does the hub mount to the steering column and then the wheel mounts to the hub?? I assume the steering hub is splined? I appreciate any guidence or help you can give me. Pics are always appreciated too! Thanks, Todd

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just was holding one at L.A.R.S. on Saturday! Hot Rod Ron's dad had just purchased on for one of his projects and was showing it off... It didn't seem to unbolt from the hub, I think the wheel and hub were one piece.It looked to have a typical G.M. spline too.

3. 1931av8

1931av8

How early? My '62 has the hub mounted to the wheel and it is splined. I can provide you with some pics if you wish. Let me know.

Tom

4. squirrel

squirrel

depends what you mean by "early" but the 60s-70s wheels with the bolt on hub do have a separate splined hub. This design was also used on some other musclecars, for example some Oldsmobiles had a 4 spoke wheel that looked like a vette wheel and used the same hub

5. tcb-1

tcb-1

I installed one in my '69 Chevy shop truck. Bought all the adapter shtuff from O.E.R.

6. 1931av8

1931av8

This may help. This is a picture of the steering wheel where it mounts to the hub. The horn button is removed.
    You could always remove the rivets seen in the photo and attach to a hub of your making...or use one of the adapters mentioned:

[​IMG]

7. I'm talking 1st gen Corvette, 56-62. The reason I said seperate hub is I looked at some of the Vette supply houses and the offer a seperate steering wheel and a hub "kit" Thanks, Todd

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  8. 1931av8

1931av8

I suspect that they are selling the hub and wheel separate and letting you rivet them together. The prices for OEM are climbing, so separating the two main components is pretty cost effective for the restorer. It will also be of benefit to you since you probably don't want the OEM hub.

9. racemad55

racemad55

originals are riveted ,repro ones bolt to the hub with special bolt kit.

10. I love those wheels, but driving a Ford truck with one on it just feels wrong.

[​IMG]

11. Larry T

Larry T

Here's one that goes on a car I'm working on for a customer right now. Ididit column, Ididit hub, stock mid 60's Corvette wheel.
    Larry T

Just looked and the same hub works on the earlier wheels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011