Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road to Rumble! D/FW to RRR on Rt. 66 Road Trip!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toptinman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Toptinman

Toptinman

No, this isn't a thread about a Bing Crosby/Bob Hope movie but I'm just a few minutes away from backing out of the driveway, headed to Indianapolis for the Road Rocket Rumble. Unlike my trip in April to Viva Las Vegas, I'll be going solo this time as Stevan has to work and my girlfriend can't take off to go either. Not to worry. The wagon and I can make it.

As I stated in the title of this thread, much of this trip will be driven on Route 66. I'll connect up with the Mother Road in Oklahoma City and will take it either to St. Louis or Springfield, Il. before branching off and heading on over for Indy.

With the wagon packed, I couldn't help to take a couple of pics to post for the start of the trip. Here's the wagon anxious to go.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the background on the garage wall, I have a passion for all things Route 66!

[​IMG]

Got my pre-entry sticker posted and ready to go!

[​IMG]

Time's a wastin'! I've got miles to cover. Stay tuned!

2. I'm in. Thanx for the invite. Loved the last trip.

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Oh boy, road trip.........:D

4. bb1970

bb1970

I love that wagon!!!! I wish you the best on your trip. We've spent alot of time on Rt. 66. In my opinion Ill. doesn't offer alot you might as well knock off at St. Louis. Make a stop a Ted Drewes and head on to Indy. All of the real neat stuff on 66 is Okla. and west. That's just my take

5. Well, safe travels, and see ya at the show

6. Dude I am doing the same thing but from the east.
    I will be leaving in a few hours after work. I won't have the sites you are gonna have and I hope to hook up with a few friends on the way see you in indy. Safe travels

7. Dude I am doing the same thing but from the east.
    I will be in my henry J
    I will be leaving in a few hours after work. I won't have the sites you are gonna have and I hope to hook up with a few friends on the way see you in indy. Safe travels

8. Toptinman

Toptinman

Whoa, what a day! No sooner (That's an unintentional pun considering that I am in the "Sooner" state!) had I gotten on Route 66 that I started having fuel problems. But more on that later.

My first stop was Pops in Arcadia, Ok. where you can find just about every flavor of soda imaginable. It's fairly new to the Route having been built four or five years ago, I think. There is a restaurant inside that's always busy but most people go just for the sodas. Their trademark is this oversized soda bottle out front. It's really cool at night when it's lite up with pattern changing neon!

[​IMG]

Just a little farther into town is the another Rt. 66 icon - the famous Round Barn. It has been restored back to it's glory days after sitting in neglect for years. It's design was meant to withstand tornados.

[​IMG]

A gift shop is in the lower floor while the loft is reserved for parties and such. Here's the loft area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love the basket weave design of the roof!

[​IMG]

Looking out one of the loft windows down on the Route.

[​IMG]

Route 66 through Arcadia, Ok.

[​IMG]

A marker commemorating Route 66 rest in the parking area across from the Round Barn.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
    stillrunners likes this.
  9. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Hey man I will see you up there I drove up to the show from houston in the van

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

headed there on Thursday!!!

11. Toptinman

Toptinman

Just past Arcadia is this old filling station that has become somewhat of a Rt. 66 icon in itself. It's thought to have been built in the late teens or early twenties before Route 66 was commissioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems that there used to be a counterfeiting ring linked to the old building. A small room was constructed in back to house the operation. The only acces to the room was through this window. Once caught and headed to jail, one of the men had supposedily said, "It wasn't worth it."

[​IMG]

A view of the Route through one of the station's windows. I wonder how many times the station owner eyed the road from this same spot?

[​IMG]

This shot doesn't add to the story one bit. Including it just 'cause I like it! Sorry!

[​IMG]

Also, years after the counterfeiting ring was busted and not connected to it, a murder victim was found in the old building. As he had no identification on him and nobody had see him around, he was never indentified. His killer was never caught.

[​IMG]

Route 66 graffitti.

[​IMG]

Some visitors chose to carve their initals into the sandstone.

[​IMG]

Route 66 as it heads east away from the old gas station.

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  12. Toptinman

Toptinman

Entering Luther, OK, is this stretch of ole Rt. 66. It deadends but is still worth checking out as it still has the old portland cement under the asphalt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lining up the Route through my fender gunsights!

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  13. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Hey if you are following all of 66 on the way up you really should stop at the old chain of rocks bridge that crosses the Mississippi river just a little north of St.louis. You can walk across the river on the old 66 bridge and there are still stone houses in the river in the middle.
    I checked it out and it's badass

14. seatex

seatex

Road Trippin'! Thanks for sharing, wish I was going! Keep the air on, it's gonna' be HOT!:cool::cool::cool:

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I saw your post, I almost walked out from work, hop'd in the Merc and try to
    chase ya down. I really wanna go to the Road Rocket Rumble. Looks like a good show
    and not that far away. Next year it will be on my schedule.

Have a safe trip and keep us posted, I love reading your post.

Happy Trails, Mick

16. Living in the area that you are going through right now, I have probably taken most of the stuff for granted that you are posting pics of. Thanks for the coverage and giving me a different perspective of the things in my back yard.

17. apound

apound

loved the last trip. Can't wait to see how this one goes.

18. triumphtony

triumphtony

reading your post is the next best thing to being there
    Thanks

19. This is going to be great. Your pictures of your trip out to Viva were amazing! Now we get to see Route 66 going the other way. I am stoked! Thanks far all the pics!. I wish you a safe and fun trip!

20. MissBelvedere

MissBelvedere

Well, I just got off the phone with Toptinman and he is certainly enjoying his trip to Indy! We are all super excited to have him a part of the Rumble and are eagerly anticipating his arrival. We are also enjoying the great pictorial journal which is capturing a fantastic road trip. Three of our participants just drove in from Long Island and stopped by the house to say hello and to let us know that they arrived safely. To all of you that will be heading our way, inculding Toptinman, we wish you safe travels and we can't wait to see everyone for a wonderful fun filled weekend.

21. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Great Pictures... Thanks for sharing

22. Toptinman

Toptinman

Heading east of Luther, OK., you have to admire how Rt. 66 rolls with along over the hills. Shot this through my windshield.

[​IMG]

A little further east, after crossing under an old railroad overpass in Warwick, lies Seaba Station, an old garage/station that has now been converted into a killer motorcycle museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love these old DX cans!

[​IMG]

And their collection of toys. Bear with me! The vintage motorcycles are next!

[​IMG]

Like these!

[​IMG]

The museum isn't just about the motorcycles but how they're displayed as well.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to bother putting captions with all of these, so just enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about this one?! Never been out of the crate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or this old Pope board track racer?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An original Rt. 66 sign!

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  23. Toptinman

Toptinman

Love the old Diamond cans!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And other cool garage stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Toptinman

Toptinman

Supposedily, the old outhouse in back was the first outhouse in Oklahoma to receive indoor plumbing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to worry. There was evidence that there used to be a privacy wall to separate the sexes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hung on the back wall of the museum were these old tanks.

[​IMG]

And some were lined up on the ground.

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  25. Toptinman

Toptinman

Meramec Caverns advertizing barn. Has been advertizing the caves for years.

[​IMG]

Just had to sneak in a pic of the wagon with the barn! You knew it was coming!

[​IMG]

26. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

Excellent pics and captions as usual! Thanks!

Randy

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

thank you for the pics.i too am planning a hwy 66 trip in late sept. i cant take our wagon because 5 miles to the gal wont get me out of alabama. but we are taking a 67 impala that im rebuilding right now, new paint engine and tires..lol hope i got enough money left to go!!! again thanks for the pics. now i cant wait to go!!!!!!

29. Dodge Dude

Dodge Dude

very cool to see this:)

30. Another road trip thread.......subscribed. I love these threads. I'm overdue for a road trip so I'll just follow you on yours.!:rolleyes::)