Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Tweed,

Geez, that 1968 picture is so cool! I bet you remember that day like it was yesterday.:)

Have you ran your car with your new Ultimate Converter yet?

P.S. those chrome reverse looked great on your car.:cool:

Eddie

2. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Other dealerships with cool names;

Weed Chevrolet
    Pipe Dodge
    Smoke Chrysler
    High Volkswagon
    Tripp Chevrolet

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Pete

4. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Didnt put the Ultimate converter in yet. Gonna wait till I get the good motor back together. Didnt think it was worth using with this old stock motor i got in it in the interim. T
    T.

5. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool: Almost some plumbers crack in this one........[​IMG]

6. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Looks like Joe Daugherty's "Tight Nuts" car

7. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Looks like Bud Rowe.....We raced him at York in 1970 and he was in a J/S or J/SA Chevy II and I was thinking it was all white in color....We won the round....

I spoke to Bud a few years ago at aLucas Series race at Maple Grove....I was very interested in the late model LT-1 EFI stockers. He has been running them for years and is always fast and runs well......We talked a lot about the old days and traded stories. He gave me some insight into why people struggled with the EFI...I really enjoyed that conversation and soon built an LT-1 Firebird and ran it a year or two.....That conversation with Bud gave me the confidence that I could build one of those and tune it myself.....I ran 10.55 at 124+ doing it all myself on an 11.30 index and the car was almost 200 lbs heavy for the class....Almost wish I had it back.....Nah......To many bogus cars out there now for me to compete against.....

8. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

How about John Swope's ....."A Head" wagon.....I think he was friends with Carl Bennett....Was like Cheech and Chong in their pit area...LOL

9. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Rich,
    That is Bud's Chevy II.
    Bob Rice

10. rlpagan

rlpagan

Been away but back a few pages it was mentioned a 65 hemi hitting the wall at Old Bridge, I was there also. The guys name was Venuto but I remember it was a 65 Ply but who knows been a long time. He wiped out the whole right side as he went around the turn, what a mess it was.

11. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Yes Bob I assumed it was....

I raced Bud on a Time Trial at Cecil County with my then A/FIA Firebird and he was in the car currently being driven by Joe Santangelo Jr and he was running B/FIA.....
    He was way faster than me but I was just getting my feet wet with that car....and he was always among the fastest in the country.

Joe Jr has been in the last 2 National even finals winning at E-town a few weeks ago and r/up at Bristol two days ago......

His father was a very good racer as well......

12. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Looks like Chevy Rally wheels on the rear.
    Did some Chevy Jr Stockers run them occasionally or were they rarely seen?
    That pic is the first I've seen of a Jr Stock with rally wheels. Cant tell in b/w pic if they are white or silver.

Eddie

13. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

We ran stock wheels on our '57 Sedan delivery. Had no money for anything but. We borrowed some wheels and that is what is on the car in my Avatar picture.
    On our 168 Chevy II a few years later we ran Cragers and some flat chrome spoke wheels on the rear.
    It became popular to run narrow front wheels on the rear and use low air pressure trying to get some traction.
    It was not a good idea really as the car could and often got feeling squirely at the finishline. Some cars flipped and most of us felt it was from the narrow rim/low air pressue deal.....

High class stick cars were running 120 mph on 7" tires.....and maybe 4-5 inch wide rims.

Todays "Stockers" and I use the term loosely, are running 145mph on 9" tires and 8 to 10 inch rims

14. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

And that term "Stockers" :rolleyes: for today is VERY LOOSE ! :D LOL

15. John Mackey

John Mackey

Jon was Carl's brother in law and the motor in Jon wagon was the motor out of Carl's '57. I was with them the night Jon bought that wagon off a used car lot. We took it for a test drive, Jon beat that poor 6 cyl to death. It was over heating and hardly running by the time we got back to the lot. It was great times back then.
    Jon passed away about 5 years ago after a long illness....

16. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Hey Terry, when I got back in Stock in 2005 I said "this is legal in stock ?" What a shock !!!!!!!

17. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

18. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

19. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Hello John.....Norm Mayerson was your partner on the Chevelle wagon? Yes?

Norm came up to my gas station with Ralph Truppi the night we first started the engine in our '68 Chevy II H/S 'er...

I think Norm was already doing magazine articles at the time and was a good guy......

Ralph was pissed off at me cause my cheezy timing light shocked him when we were checking the timing.....LOL

Carl Bennett was a very good guy to us during our time racing out of the T/K stable......He and Tommy Kling......and Tommy was always a good guy, period.

Carl ran G/S in his Camaro and Ralph gauged everyone off what Carl did back then....

I recall him runnning 11.99 at York I think and it was a big deal to break into the 11's.....We ran 12.20something in H/S at the same event...

John Swoope did very well with that wagon....How heavy was that gas tank???? I think Greg X made them pull the gas tank at one event because it was supposed to be real heavy.....Not sure if thats a true story or not....it sounds possible though....and funny....

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The very reason I got out.
    No exotic materials in a Pro Stock motor but you can run composite faced lifters in Stock?
    Back to a time when stock meant something to nhra.

[​IMG]

21. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  22. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

those were the days when real racers planned to be away from home for 10 days, with a dream of being a real champion...pretty sad times now!

23. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I was there....flat towed from NJ and stayed at a motel that had garages....Had to fix the tow car on the way out and on the way home.....Drove home with bad brakes!!! Luckily we made it both ways in one piece.....

24. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

Many of us did that in the day.............Lots of trouble with the tow vehicles, but the will to race at a major race and be part of Stock Eliminator history....20 years from now, all of us will be forgotten, and the cars too!.....lots of the music we listened to will also be gone...todays youth is not the youth of the 60's.

25. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

X's 2 on that.

26. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

These last two pages have been fantastic!
    Such great stories and it amazes me how one person can mention a certain event or a night in the shop and the memories and accounts from you guys comes pouring out.
    Rich Biebel and John Mackey and other racers - your memory of that great era is amazing! Considering how much fun you guys had back then I think those memories are permanent. Sometimes you guys claim to suffer from CRS but you all seem to remember a lot more than you forgot!

Eddie

27. Cristina Yurkiw

Cristina Yurkiw
    from Las Vegas

Hello,
    I am John Yurkiw daughter in law, and I have all the correct information about him and his performances including pics and certificates. i just came across this post recently and I hope i can help. i can provide you with copies of all this records.

28. ahra vette

ahra vette
    BANNED

it would be very kool to break out the divisions, by racer....o.k..this is not your real job...I could print this list and re=post by divisions, but not without a OK by the board.. also..I will add a list of AHRA racers...about 15..raced only Stock in AHRA (national tours)

29. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Speaking of Archie's car.......[​IMG]

30. John Mackey

John Mackey

Ya, Norm and I went all through school together and built 4 race cars together. Carl and Ronnie were are mentors and Ralph and Tommy were a great part of our success. Norm is still auto editor for the NY TIMES but I keep pestering him to come out of retirement and drive my 96 Corvette. I still see Carl when ever I back in Jersey, our families are even closer since Carl's daughter married my wife's brother.. Small world.
    And as for that gas tank, well,,,,,, I remember Carl putting it in the car with a 10 ton bus jack.... But they did a lot of WIERD things back then....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011