Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 Chevy Sedan SBC Firewall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swingcatt, Jun 16, 2011.

1. swingcatt

swingcatt

Has anyone put a SBC in a 37 chevy and NOT put a 2" offset firewall in? I have so much metal to replace on this thing, that I hate to replace something that I don't. I mean, if it's just a little snug - that's one thing, but if the motor just won't fit without it, than I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

Thanks guys!!

2. mj40's

mj40's

Not a problem in my 38 Chevy Sedan. Even had room for a HEI system.
    [​IMG]

3. alchemy

alchemy

I did a 39 Chevy, and there was LOTS of room. Can't guarantee a 37 is the same, but I'd bet it's pretty close. They both had the same 6 cylinder originally.

4. swingcatt

swingcatt

See? That's what I was thinking! I kept looking and looking and measuring and I was like "am I missing something??? Look how freaking long that sixbanger is!" I'm betting the 37-39 firewall is the same, seeing as how Bitchin and Direct both list the firewall inserts for 37-39 models.

No problems with the bell housing? Did you have to increase the angle of the engine more than 3 degrees?

Thanks guys. Seriously. This helps a LOT.

5. I did a '37 that we set the engine back but it wasn't necessary as I recall other than for weight transfer. Like Alchemy I think they are pretty close to being the same car.

6. alchemy

alchemy

My 39 even used the long water pump and had an HEI. Don't remember if it still had the stock trans hump, but it sure wasn't any bigger than stock.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

No problems on a 37 coupe.

8. ...no problem on my 37, no surgery on firewall or floor/trans cover; even room for an HEI,... I'm usin a short water pump which helps, radiator goes in orig. location.

[​IMG]

9. swingcatt

swingcatt

Thanks for you help guys! You saved me a couple hundred bucks here.

Rusty, like the ram's horn manifold. Nice old school look!

10. I have a big block 454 with the stock firewall in my 38. I moved my radiator forward about 3-4 inches though. Run HEI distributor also. It is very tight, but it all fits with about 1/4 inch clearance everywhere. You do not need a recessed firewall, expecially running a small block.

11. slammed

slammed

Same amount of room for the '36 Chev too.