Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery guys,I could use addvice here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edsel, Jun 20, 2011.

1. edsel

edsel

My question is that I need to know a fair price for getting a headliner installed on a 1958 ford/edsel 2dr hdtp, I supplied the headliner, removed the old one, cleaned everything up so it was ready to go just needed installed.
    Very long story after a month he finally finished the headliner but poked a hole in it trying to find the dome lite, messed up the C-pillars and had to try and glue in a piece to fix, I also think he left out some of the clips that hold the plate along the sides that the headliner tucks into. not a good job for a guy that claimed he had done at least 10 of them.
    He was also supposed to door my door panels (real long story there) when I text him on how long I had to wait for those, major drama started, with treats of all kinds, so I took a few hours off work and had a freind help me get my car the hell out of there, but off coarse he is freaking out even more and wants money, I do feel I should pay him something even though he messed it up it is still livable, but need to know what that job should pay so I can go from there.
    Sorry for being so long winded, I have just been really stressed out all night about this mess

2. low merc51

low merc51

A man is only as good as his word !!! He said he could do the job and didn"t !!!
    I have stood by my word on many jobs even if it cost me money out of my own pocket !!!
    I would not pay him a cent !!!!

3. edsel

edsel

I do feel at times like I should not pay him either, but I also already have so much stress in my life I would rather just pay him something fair and forget he even breaths air on this planet.

edsel

4. So lets look at this in a different light.

If the neighbors kid knocks your front window out with a base ball how much to you pay him to do that?

A guy destroys your property and you are having trouble deciding how much to pay him, that just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you should have him replace the headliner and take it somewhere else.

5. Just tell him you are going to use his labor money to replace the headliner HE ruined....

6. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Pay him nothing. When someone represents that he can do a job, doesn't do it and damages your materials besides, you owe him nothing.

7. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Common practice is to leave the screws attached after you remove the dome light or visors so you can find them easier and hot have this happen. Looks like he screwed up. And while ten might seem like alot for your average backyard guy, I would think an experienced "upholstery guy" would have more than that under his belt.

Everybody knows shit happens and he should have made it right immediatly, took the whole thing down and replaced the damaged panel. I wouldn't pay him a cent, HE damaged the headliner YOU supplied. Cesar

8. BJR

BJR

I agree with the above, he wrecked your headliner. He owes you a new one, you don't owe him a cent! If it were me I would send him a bill for what the headliner cost you with a copy of the original receipt included so he could see what you paid for it.

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

you want my advice? i wouldn't give him a plug nickel, chaulk it up to experience and move on. he sounds like a one and done (no repeat customers) upholstery shop anyway, and i'm sure he'll add you to the list of guys never going back.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The way you explained it (removing, cleaning, etc.) and you suppled the headliner, it should take a competent upholsterer no more than one to two hours to install it (and not a month)...and not charge a lot since you purchased the material...

FWIW, a low cost is nice...but when the guy screws up and pokes holes in a NEW headliner, tell him to take a FF at a rolling donut...take your car somewhere else...he's going to tell everyone it was all your fault anyway.

R-

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pay him with the balance between a copy of your headliner receipt and his labor quote. As far as 1-2hrs? Only if you've done so many you can do it with your eyes closed! They're not easy but they also don't take a month. He bit of more than he can handle. My suggestion is pretty valid. Depending on the guy's professionalism and manners you may walk away feeling empowered with no stress. Suppose you ordered 2 eggs over easy and they brought you scrambled? Would you eat em to avoid the stress? I wouldn't. I would politely say, "Excuse me dear, I ordered over easy." Get it?

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The guy I use to do all my interiors (eight in my personal cars, at last count) can put in a headliner (pre-made, which is what Edsel bought) in less than two hours...if he has to sew one up, it'll be done and installed in less than four...

Yep, they're not easy...but that should be no excuse for a competant upholsterer.

R-

13. edsel

edsel

You can bet I well never ever even think about using this guy again, if I had known how they just tuck up under the side trim I probably would have tried to do it myself, after all I even pulled the back window out, I just had not seen how Ford did that before, I have only done 55 chevys before.
    After going by his shop several times while my car was there I would find him working on other peoples cars, I think he just did not like me (I can be an asshole after a few weeks) I should have took my car then, now he thinks If I dont pay him he can have his buddies turn me in as a drug dealer or pedifile and I can have fun fighting all that shit, I should just go see the cops but he does know where I live having giving me a ride home after I dropped off the car.
    I never have problems when I do the shit myself, even my exhuast cost twice what I was verbaly quoted and binds agianst the firewall.

thanks guys
    edsel

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Woah Brush Prairie huh, is it Rodgers upholstery? terrible shop! If not them then who is it so I don't learn the hard way.

dont roll over on this guy, take pictures of everything defective for personal record.

15. DO NOT PAY THIS BUM!!! Headliners are not that hard to do. Ive installed hundereds of them.

16. He should owe you a new headliner and install it. Figure the Avg price to install which should be roughly 3-4 hours on a long day.

HT headliners are one of the easiest to install.

Dont pay a cent until its done.

17. edsel

edsel

No Not Rogers, I think they are closed up now and they sucked, This guy is G&K Upholstery guys name is Gary his shop is in Greg Biffles moms wharehouse.
    I an not paying him anything, and took the door panels to another upholstery guy I used years ago, he well be done tomorrow, I did all the rest in 2 two days, that asshole had it a month.

Thanks guys

edsel

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I hope you took pictures of the damage in case he sues you.

19. Rs2

Rs2

oK, is this cat an established business ? insurance, taxs etc. if so he won't be for long with a story like that going around. if he's a back yardigan and were looking for a cheap way out you certainly got it. I would not expect to be paid if I screwed up a customs car... simple as that, fix what you screwed up and if there's anything left over then you move on (things do happen sometimes). I believe a real professional shop would not act in this manner. I see that you went back to your origanil guy to finish the job... why did you go to the the guy who screwed up your job in the first place if you had a guy you knew would treat you right > ??