Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods After 800 some passes, something had to give on the Rebel Reaper!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Here is a video from last weekend at Beaver Springs Raceway last weekend. It was the 10th annual Gasser Reunion put on by Gasser Magazine. This was probably my 5th or 6th pass on Friday. I was having trouble with the track. It was too damn sticky. I made my first pass and foot braked it to get a feel for track conditions. Determined that the trans brake would have to wait! The whole weekend I never did use the trans brake. That starting line was something else! I also want to give the guys at Harlow Racing tires a plug for the new Mickey Thompson ET's. I don't like it when the car unloads the suspension like that and one wheel comes off the ground. No fun turning in the air. Anyhow, the fun I was having all came to an end on the 16th pass on early Saturday afternoon. I got to the line and took off, pulled the wheels then a gear grinding noise ended the fun...Here is the damage so far....I guess that I should not be too bummed, I have about 800 hard passes on that rear end...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Here is the inside of the rear end....

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

ha ha Don you kick ass.....sorry for the damage.

4. Unfortunately, I run a torqueflite trans and it appears that something inside the trans also went ka boom. There is no external damage to the trans, but the tail shaft is seized.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. I took the housing out and am going to have John Pito put a back brace in it with other Mark Williams goodies in the Olds Pontiac beast....

[​IMG]

6. The only sliver lining in all of this is I can finally get rid of this POS sfi flex plate.

[​IMG]

7. SLCK64

SLCK64

Man that looks like it was a wild ride!!!

Why is the sfi unit a POS?

8. slepe67

slepe67

TOUGH BREAK

I kinda laguhed when I read your narrative. I had an old Mustang with the 8 inch with 4.56s (?) rear end. Figured I would use it till i found a 9 inch.

The day started when a hot little blonde wanted to go for a ride and afterwards, when she got exit, the door handle came off in her hand. She laughed and said her ex boyfirends Camaro could do better. Now I was on a vendetta. Well, after about 20 passes on that weak 8 inch(second pass of the day I think), it hooked and POW! I still had my foot on the gas, and the revl-imiter went off. I was like WTF??? I got off the track and got to a stop. Nothing in drive. Shifted back to 2nd. It chugged forward. I had First, Second, and Reverse. If I gave it any gas, other than pressure with my big toes, the rear end made gawd awful grinding noise. Wasnt too fun at the time, but looking back, those were some gooooood times. Never saw the blonde again...haha

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

You have lost your mind!

I need to come to one of those and stick cameras all over that car..

Wheelies!!!!!!!!

10. 69fury

69fury

Sorry to hear about the rear and the trans. The backbrace will help the rear from having the caps walk-but adding a girdle would be even better.

I'd be willing to bet you'll find a scattered rear sprag in that 727. That's the main weakness to those trans-anytime you have a sudden unloading of the trans (such as dropped driveshaft/broken rear) the sprag takes a powder.

The 36 element super sprag is a help, but it does need to be pinned to the case.

That car is wicked awesome! Hope she's back on the strip soon!

Rick

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

That car is awesome. I watched that video at least 5 times. Wheelieees!!!

12. It has run out in and out and egg shape. Really hard on starters! The machine shop doing the work for my new motor is supposed to make me a new one. Still waiting....I am going to put a stock one back in for now. Mondello is the only other source for an sfi plate and they are like over $400!

13. Richie from Prime Time Video wanted to put cameras all over it, but he also wanted me to stick his modern looking stickers on my car....sorry. Now MFS, that is a different story! You got a place to stay in Ohio if you need it! (Jalopy Showdown Drags) Or, find someone to sponsor me to come out to Bakersfield:D

14. Yep, I put a Coan Super Sprag in it origonally, just hoping the case is not damaged.. I will pass on the info about pinning it to the case. I have a different trans guy looking at it now because my regular guy is on vacation. I am pushing to get this thing back together for the Gasser Nationals at Marion in July! Thanks!

15. Thanks, some day we will line up together, your car is kick ass and it would make for a bitchen photo op!

16. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

800 passes. I saw a few. Thanks Don. Slim

17. scarylarry

scarylarry

I got to RIDE on one of those passes & see a little sky doing it, still makes me smile.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

HA!!
    You got your money out of that drivetrain. Wildman...
    And stay in your own lane or you may get pulled over for a DUI.
    Good luck Don!

19. LabRat

LabRat

Wow ! You Sir are a class peddler ! Sorry for the downtime ... But hey , Better , Faster , Stronger ...

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

mmmmh...so, you did 800 of those wheelies and only broke something at the last round?
    I call it bullet-fukin-proof. hahahaha....

21. I would have to definitely concur with the masses here...you got your money and then some out of that beast! Damn awesome, and I too gave the video a few replays, holy shit man, put a camera or two on it and give us a ride from inside too :)

22. not that pass, but here is one from the Jalopy Showdown drags...

23. Here is an outside view....

24. different angle:D

25. Don, I am proud of you!

26. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

bad ass, you definitely got your moneys worth!!

27. Great video and awesome pics, too bad about the rear-end, but sounds like you got your money out of it!

28. belair

belair

A true wheelie-one wheel on the ground. Looks like you get your money's worth every pass. Glad you didn't hurt
    anything important.

29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

deff got your moneys worth outa that rear end. Badass pics ....