Register now to get rid of these ads!

A D truck question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oc dave, Jun 19, 2011.

1. oc dave

oc dave

So im looking for a 47 to 54 chevy truck and sometimes it seems like the front sheetmetal is bigger on the 3/4 and 1 ton models then the 1/2 tons. Is this just me? I would think the 1 1/2 ton trucks would be differnt not the 1/2 thru 1 tons but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me???

2. squirrel

squirrel

I think your eyes are playing tricks. The bigger ones do sit up higher, maybe that's why? I know what you mean, I have some 1/2 ton TF trucks, and a 1 ton, and the 1 ton looks so much bigger even though it's not

3. D-man313

D-man313

on the ADs the 1ton and bigger trucks have larger wheel openings for the bigger tires.

4. 1 ton fenders are the same as 1/2 ton, they get bigger on 1 & 1/2 ton trucks.

5. D-man313

D-man313

ok thanks my mistake

6. oc dave

oc dave

thanks for the info,forgot to ask in the first post but did all of them come with the gas tank behind the seat? I ask this because im looking at a 50 5 window that doesnt have a tank behind the seat,not sure if its a 3/4 or 1 ton but it does have 8 lug wheels on the front.

7. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

from what i have been told 3/4 ton are diff from 1/2 ton not sure how? and 1 ton have larger openings but they all look very close until you get into 1 1/2 there huge heres a pic of a 1 1/2-2 ton clip i have look at how huge the fender width on top is and as far as the gas tanks 47-48 had tanks under the bed maybe 49 to? but 50 and newer moved them behind the back seat

Attached Files:

8. squirrel

squirrel

When in doubt, read the book.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_54chevyparts/index.htm

this is the Chevy parts book that lists the part numbers for all the parts. You need to spend some time near the front of it to figure out which model is which. The Commercial is 1 ton and smaller, while Utility is 1-1/2 ton and larger.

Page 80 shows the group number for the different parts.

Page 460 shows the part numbers. Note that the Commercial trucks all use the same fenders, while the Utility trucks all use different fenders. What that means is that the 1/2 to 1 ton models use one fender, while the 1.5 ton and larger models are different.

But I guess you can believe what the guy at the swap meet said, instead.

9. oc dave

oc dave

thanks for this info,I will go back and do some reading.

10. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

GMC's always look a bit beefier in the front with the different grill and all. I've heard consistent wive's tales over the years that GMC's were stamped from thicker steel. Any truth to this?

11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a '49 3/4 ton. I replaced the DS fender with on from a 1/2 ton when I rebuilt it. I didn't notice til later that my original fender had a lapped seam from the headlight hole to the grille opening and the replacement fender does not. The wheel arches are the same. Possibly different stamping plants made the 2 fenders?