Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found a flathead project for the wife's first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTrailerGuy, Jun 18, 2011.

1. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

My lovely wife has a fixation to build a totally rusty, ratted out rod from a 37 ford pickup cab and frame that i picked up a few years ago. Well, I told her that first, I would show her how to build a motor, THEN we would get to the fun stuff.

She kept talking smallblock chevy, i pulled rank and told her that her very first motor ever to build from scratch would be a flathead. I called my buddy who does nothing but scrap stuff and told him to keep his eyes open for any old flathead... 48 hours later he calls... got one. Free spinning under the hood of a 48 ton and a half ford truck. Motor and tranny $250.

Sweeet! (Now i have to show her how to get this thing apart without destroying it!)

Pray for me
    TheTrailerGuy

2. TraderJack

TraderJack

Well, the firs thing you do is take it down to the steam cleaners and steam clean it.
    that will make the wife happy, she can get dirty when she gets into the engine.

traderjack

3. barry wny

barry wny

She won't like that heavy 4 speed, need a pickup trans, but if it go's with it... Also try to get the pedals & steering if cheap

4. If that has the crash box T9 I could use the speedo gears for my Federal,,,,:)

5. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Many thanks, guys. She is a professional photographer, so i will get on her to shoot, shoot, shoot and post when we tear into it in a few weeks.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don't specifically know which trucks, but I do know the larger Ford trucks had there own flatheads not remotely close to what we are installing into these hotrods. Do a search.
    250 sounds high especially if it hasn't been magnafluxed for cracks.

see link

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_specs-337bigV8.htm

7. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

have one... very nice. out of a 48 ton and a half and it is the same as the std flathead. Go figure. All parts are swapping nicely inside and out.

8. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Nope... this old truck had the perfect motor... right number of head bolts, water necks in the right spots and the distributor on the correct end of the motor. Just a nice. solid, crack free old ford flattie in a crappy old truck. pure heaven!!!