Register now to get rid of these ads!

What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Jun 17, 2011.

1. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

Hirohata Merc

Attached Files:

2. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

[​IMG]

the Jade Idol because it was clean and simple in an age of busy body lines and too much chrome. 50+ years later it still looks good.

3. Rebracer

Rebracer

Every car on American Graffiti... but especially the 55. Years later the same car in Two Lane Blacktop with its rough mean persona kept me going.

4. Big John Mazmanian's candy red Willys and Corvette

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Can you tell I grew up in the 80's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

For me it was the 58 corvette on Route 66 and the Harley sportster on Than came Bronson. I was behind the wheel of my gray primed 55 at the drive-in, when James Taylor wheeled his 55 down the back roads. Have never quite got over them days. Ron

7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

ala kart made the biggest impression on me back when I was a kid. I know that my choice (and reason of my choice) might not be popular... but it is what it is... to me it was a 'crossing of the line' into less tasteful design. I like many of the older style customs... but ala kart stands out in my mind as one I don't care for. after that one the customs seemed to be more 'showie' (however that is spelled) and 'tackey'. maybe flashy might better describe it. (as if I could do better.) but that's my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Ed Roth`s Mega Cycle

10. I started out with the "Lil coffin" kit, and then watched "hot rod" in black n white on our b n w tv, so the Willys was a biggy. After that, came Milners coupe. Its all been downhill from there, and i can't seem to shake the sickness.

11. RDR

RDR

Ed Roths' "Outlaw"....I remember reading he built it for 500 bucks and it said to me, ....'If he can do it, you can do it' ....

Attached Files:

12. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Ed Roth was a very interesting man....very talented..inspired me a lot in the aspect of the way i do my art...

13. big giant head

big giant head
    from Whangamata

Chris Tynans Rat Attack from the 80's/90's and Falfa's made me want a 55 Chebby.

Attached Files:

14. Cecil

Cecil

So Many !!! The Golden Sahara - Kookie T - Tom McMullen Roadster - The Outlaw - Beatnic Bandit - Scritchfield Roadster - Lil Coffin - Tommy Ivo T - Lively Set Movie T - The Ghost - All Ivo's Dragsters & Trailers - Novel T - King T - California Kid - Griffiti Coupe and on & on !!! LOL

15. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

for those of you who said the tom McMullen roadster, have you seen the danbury mint replica that is coming out? it is Spot -on with everything. very nice diecast replica

16. tiquer

tiquer

In 1959 the neighbor across the road in Glen Lake B.C. had a completely origanal and in mint shape 32 five window coupe he was driving to High school. I was seven at the time and will never forget that car.

17. Mickm

Mickm

The California Kid was my greatest influence. Followed by Milner's coupe and the ELiminator coupe.
    Cheers!
    Mickm

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  18. Its got to be the Milner's deuce, then TLB 55, but close in the running is Project X....the Hollywood Knights version!

19. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i don't think there is a car someone has mentioned that i don't like...all of these are/were sick cars.....

20. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

'Lil' John Buttera's 26 T. I still have a model of it from when I was 14 or so.

21. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Gene Windfields Solar Scene was the one that did it for me, I had a small black and white pic of that car since I was about 6 years old and always loved the car, never even crossed my mind to try to clone the car or anything, I am smart enough to know that I dont need to try to compete with Gene's talent, I just really respected that car and that build, and knew I had to have a chopped merc in my life from then on. So I am building what I can how I can. I have cought little whispering roumors that Gene is building a clone of the Solar Scene since the original was lost......I am hoping and praying that is true, for me that would truely be a dream come true to be able to see that car in person and be able to take my photo infront of that car. Jim

Attached Files:

22. mark 55

mark 55

The baddest 55 of it's time. Gary Kollofski's wicked, all black 210 sedan. I even built a model of that car. Maybe someone could post a picture for all us 55 freaks.

23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

24. lorodz

lorodz

id have to say
    millners coupe
    falfas 55
    2 lane 55
    bad news T (choppers of burbank)
    rolling bones style 32's

25. There were so many unknowns both local and in the little pages, but of the more notables it wud be Grabowski's Kookie T, Ivo's T, Ala Kart, Barris Merc, Cushenberry's El Matador, Alexander Bros' Golden Indian, Todd & Buzz driving along Rt 66 every week in the drop top Vette, Mazmanian's Vette & Willys, and the one that pushed me over the edge, Dean Lowe's RPU.

26. TraderJack

TraderJack

Ok, the most impressive was in 1938 with Austion Chauncy Potters single seater. First rod I ever saw which had individual tubes for spark plug wires. Every wire was neatly in place and had big pipes out each side.
    Second was Paul Schiefers 32 in same year, going across Kearny Mesa Road at 100 mph, with a nice 32 whistle as it came along. First one I saw with solid side panels on the hoods.
    The Kromholz 39 Mercury Cpnvertible , Lowered, Carson Top, and dual pipes with Desoto bumbers.in 1939, Rear fender skirts with flipper hub caps.

they impressed me.

traderjack

27. 1938?
    Wow you have been here since the beginning and here you are posting on a hotrod board with your great history. I read your bio and at 85 you are still at it. I would love to sit down and have a coffee with you and talk about this hotrod business. At 71, I have been around for a while but you, sir have me beat. You grew up in the middle of it all.

28. These were the ones for me too.. :eek:
    Great choices Beatnik!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Dave

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  29. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Here ya go....

Pictures were taken in 1977 - 78. The first picture was taken at the old North Star dragstrip in New Brighton, MN and the second was at Minnesota Dragways. I don't recall which show is in the third picture. Gary and I became friends when he was beginning the '55 build in '74 or 75 ... I spent more than a few hours on it also.

The '55 was featured in Popular Hot Rodding during that time and also appeared in Car Craft in the November '78 issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  30. ARNIE

ARNIE

I have to go with "Color Me Gone" &" Shake, Rattle & Roll!"