Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gettin it out of long term storage since 1976

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bcowanwheels, Jun 18, 2011.

1. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

WELL FINALLY NOW THAT I,am a old man I,am getting my old T-bucket out of storage !!!!! gonna freshhin everything up and get it back on the road. i,ll post the work as it progresses. this is a great site and a fine bunch of folk.
    bob in tn.

P/S
    I started building this with my dad in 1968 when I was 14. cal-automotive body, 302 ford,c-4,8" rear 3.89 gear, real t model windshield and cowl lamps that have wicks in them !!!!!! there wasnt no "kits" when my t was built.

Attached Files:

2. Ok, now that's pretty damn cool...in storage since '76 and now seeing the light of day. Keep us posted!

P.S. Gonna have to lose the Mustang taillights, though, I'm thinkin....;)

3. F&J

F&J

actually, it was done so long ago that it is sort of traditional. Maybe not for most hamb builds, but still old time. i'd be tempted to leave them.

4. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Thats awesome! Bring it down 81 to knoxville one of these days.

Post more pics once that thing sees sunlight

5. Tripple G

Tripple G

"Started building this with my Dad in 1968" ... That's awesome! With Father's Day being tomorrow, I was wondering, how many other Father/Son projects there are out there? Today, I drove my '32 Ford 5W "American Graffiti" inspired coupe for the first time. A 3-1/2yr. build. Wish Dad was still here to see the finished project. He passed away 1yr. after I started the project, Oh Well.....Happy Father's Day to all the fathers on the H.A.M.B.

6. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

post more pics....looks like a sick ride!!!

7. 41 C28

41 C28

Mustang taillights fix the build, I say keepem.

8. Toner283

Toner283

Cool Car! Do you have any pictures of it back in the day? How about a picture of the whole car? Leave the Mustang taillights as is IMO, If that is how it was built by you & your dad in 1968, then they are traditional in my eyes. Love the color, looking forward to more pics when you get it outside & washed off. :)

There are quite a few father/son builds. Here is the coupe that my dad & I built over the last few years. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348159 It isn't finished yet and it will eventually get paint but for now it is licensed and we are having all kinds of fun with it driving the wheels off of it.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Too cool.
    Looks well thought out from the pictures you posted.

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

geez,i'm glad someone else is dragging out old projects,mine was my grandmother's she passed away in 1957,the last time my grandpa licenced it was 1957,it still has 1 of those plates on it.& will aways have it on somewhere,
    and i agree leave it as is,& MORE pictures please

11. butch27

butch27

Good timing: The National "T" bucket meet is in Dayton, Ohio next week. Tons of buckets.

12. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

yea gonna leave it as it was built "except" gonna put the 289 hi-po parts i bought for it back then on the engine. dad told me if i opened up the engine it would be "PARKED" so now the engine has to come down because it is stuck from sitting. its not damaged just stuck. i got it to bare block and going back like this-
    289 factory hi-po dual point N.O.S.
    1970 BOSS 302 crank , rods & trans am balancer all N.O.S.
    all arp fasteners inside
    polished tunnel ram 2x450 cfm holleys
    balanced and clearenced
    289 hi po fuel pump N.O.S.
    289 hi po heads N.O.S. ported and polished with swirl polished stainless valves
    engle solid lifter cam,lifters & valve train hardware
    hi-volume- hi pressure oil pump fomoco 289 hi-po
    10-1 forged pistons
    thin metal head gaskets
    8 qt oil pan
    trans go shift kit
    and a little more, engine went back std/std in everything
    MORE PICTURES OF PICTURES TOMARROW !!!!!!

13. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

I don't wanna alarm you, but it looks like someone swiped your motor whilst in storage.

14. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

na I pulled it to freshen it up when i found out it was stuck. bent 2 pushrods before i nnoticed it. OUCH....... glad i didnt hit the starter with juice or i would have bent them all....

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Cool !,.... keep us posted.

16. I like NOS parts, but I wouldn't use a NOS fuel pump, that rubber diaphragm has been drying out for 40+ years...cool build btw

17. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Got the pump so gonna try it. Real 289 hi=po pumps are extreamly hard to find especially n.o.s.

18. lurch423

lurch423

hey man fellow kingsporter here ever come over to the cruise in at kmart on fri nights if not you need to check it out

19. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Thoght it was at kingsport mall on friday nights ?

20. How can some of you guys rag on the Mustang taillights as "not traditional", when in fact, when this car was built in 1968, they WERE indeed of the time and therefore rank as "traditional". Oh, and that 'glass body...same thing. This certainly qualifies as a trad build; hell, he and his Dad built it 43 years ago!

Keep the lights!

21. abone1930

abone1930

Dig anything that was built along tome ago and still is around, the paint still looks good.

22. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

THANKS FELLAS real laquer ! candy apple blue over silver and gray primer. this was my 1st paint job !

23. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Love it.
    Sounds exciting and fun.

24. Do not screw with the taillights, they are proof positive traditional.:)

25. F&J

F&J

The color reminds me of how popular that was on the 68 Mustangs... probably not the exact same, but it looks close.

I painted my first real paintjob on Christmas eve 1968 with the Mustang blue, on my 56 belair 2d HT.

26. Great story especially around fathers day! You must be really charged up about starting back on it, hey good luck and from a Chevy guy I think the Mustang lights should stay, I remember when they were popular and used quite often.

27. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

dude this thing is super bitchin and i love the taillights, it all fits together!

28. rat seeker

rat seeker

29. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Love it .........Candy apple blue.....never heard of that.......if that is your first paint job I wish/hope you can save it.
    P.S. The stang tailights in the first pics were the first thing I noticed! ( Just like everyone else)

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sweet..get that sucker out in the light, blow that dust off her and take a full profile shot of her, that will motivate ya:cool: