Register now to get rid of these ads!

IFS for a 57 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by treegrower, Jun 18, 2011.

1. treegrower

treegrower
    from VT

Greetings from VT-newbie here. I am researching my options for mating my 57 body to newer suspension. Found several good threads and tech tips for frame swaps, but am still looking. In the latest issue of CCT there is an article about putting a new Fat Man IFS under a 73-87 Chevy C10. The write-up says the OEM crossmember is held in place with 14 bolts What is the liklihood that I can install the OEM 73-87 crossmember in place of my leaf springs and I-beam axle? I really don't want to invest the $$ in a new IFS.

2. SRMN8R

SRMN8R
    from Central VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm running a 55 Chevy longbed, and my frame is spliced just behind the cab with a 1980 C10, giving me IFS, and all the other goodies like disc brakes. It's not a bad set up, but the track width is a little too wide for my liking.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with a heidts or fatman set up. In the long run, I think it's probably worth the $$.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Use the OEM frame with a Series 1-3 Jag IFS (XJ6 or XJ12). PDB and PS, simple conversion plus 5 stud Chev bolt pattern

4. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've built 2 of these trucks. The first one I used a 74 sb chevy pickup frame. It was a little wide but worked out excellent and drove perfect. The one I have now is Heidts and fits much better.

5. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Go with the heidts if you are going aftermarket.If you want an OEM clip to install go with a dodge dakota.They were designed to hols a V8 and give you all the late model stuff you want.I have not personally done this clip job,but have seen several and liked the way it looked under the truck.The reason for the dakota/durango swap is the factory power rack and pinion steering.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

7. Sentimental 65

Sentimental 65

I have question! We have a 1969 6 cyclinder that boltedtp a turbo 400. what manual tranny will bolt to it?