Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Colorado Springs... again

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by dragonashes, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Hey y'all. I've introduced myself once, but that was back last year, when I was lookin for a 50ish truck. I got so much help and advice then, when I didn't even have one yet, that I felt I could get great advice and help now that I actually have a vehicle.
    I've purchased a 64 1/2 Mustang- my true love and obsession (maybe a 50s truck will come in later years :)). Its a bit of a project, but the engine is all up and it runs beautifully now- it's mostly cosmetic stuff I'll have to do.
    My quandry is that I want to keep it as original as possible (it is for the most part right now), but I don't know how to tell the difference between original parts and reproduction ones. I know keeping it original will be difficult, and that is fine, but I think the reward of doing that will outweigh the hassle in the long run. I just need some help on what I should be looking for.

Thanks, and I look forward to everything that comes with the H.A.M.B.
    DA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks good. Youll be much happier with the stang than that stude truck for sure.
    Original parts are usually more $$ than repops as a way to tell difference. But maybe some mustang people can chime in and tell you more resources.

3. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

If you can get your hands on one, an original parts book should help you out here. Although, I will say, some manufacturers use the same part numbers for re-production/aftermarket parts. There should be several places around that deal with Classic Fords and Stangs like yours that probably know all the ins and outs. =) Nice ride by the way. =)

4. Thank you both very much =)

23dragster:
    Original parts book? We were lucky enough to get the orginal owner's manual with the car, but I don't believe that's what you're talkin about lol. Where do you think I could find one?
    There is Colorado Mustang up here, but I haven't had the chance to actually go and check them out. Maybe it would be a good idea for this weekend lol
    (And the HAMB comes through again, I've already gotten more help than I did from the Mustang forum I joined lol)

5. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

As in, an old school book from places like old dealerships or a parts house. There are still some old books floating around that have OEM part numbers in them. Some auto parts places actually started throwing them away where I live, which is too bad, now that everything is on computers. I would check at your local auto parts house/s and see if they still have some old dusty parts books lying around as you never know. I've gotten blessed once or twice in that way when parts houses keep their good old paper books. =) Sounds like you have a cool weekend plan. =)

6. Well at least I know where to start my search =)
    Thanks!

7. choptvan

choptvan

welcome from your neighbor. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

8. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Welcome again from Ft Collins:). Nice lookin 'stang, but you might catch some crap asking about it on the main board. It's probably too OT for this site. Not trying to discourage you, just warning ya.

BTW, the dealer I work for (Spradley-Barr Ford) in Fort Collins hosts a Mustang show the first saturday of every month if your ever on this side of the state

9. Thanks y'all.
    Iceberg460: I realize that, but I've already gotten alot more help here than I did on the Mustang site/forum I joined. Doesn't seem to be too much.... 'community' there like there is here. Maybe once it starts to not look quite so ragged I'll make a trip up that way lol.
    I really need help deciding where to go for parts- usually someone who has a good source for parts for a certain vehicle knows another source for other vehicles. I also need recomendations for places in Colorado Springs, or surrounding towns, for places that do reupholstery and paint jobs- that's pretty universal, whether its for a classic car/truck or my classic Mustang lol.
    Choptvan- I'd really appreciate any help/tips you could give =)

10. choptvan

choptvan

Is she a runner? Stop on by the shop with it. Would be happy to help. 719-358-6981.

11. Very much so- we drove him home all the way from Golden. Gotta fix one lil leak (hopefully tomorrow) then I'll feel better about drivin him around town- no headache from fumes lol. But once that is fixed and I'll give ya a call and see about coming by.

12. 2ton

2ton
    from Colorado

I do a lot of 50's, 60's Ford stuff in Golden. Colorado Mustang is an excellent source for you, give Mike a call if you have specific needs. They stock all the repop stuff and have lots of original parts available. I purchase other parts from Sam's Vintage Ford in Denver but his focus is on mid 30's to 60's Fords that don't have a horse on 'em. He does get stuff from time to time though. Get a reproduction service manual, electrical manual, and whatever other literature you might need. Educate yourself on Fords parts numbering system and learn how to decode the date stamps and part numbers. Fun car, and unusual to find someone who wants to keep one original.

Good luck

13. Thanks for the tips- I was under the impression Colorado Mustang only did reproduction parts- good to know they have original as well.
    I am finding that I am in a -very- small group of people who like to keep them original lol. The thought not to never crossed my mind before I started doin research and people gave me funny looks when I told them I planned to keep it that way lol.

14. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Cool deal, no problem, and have fun with it!