Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frankenstein powertrain questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Concrete B, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Concrete B

Concrete B

Hey guys, I've been searcing around the web for an hour now, and don't have a definitive answer. I've compiled a few parts and want to know what will fit together. I'm not a "mechanic" so forgive me if this is basic stuff.

I have a 63 Coupe DeVille with the 390 and Jetaway trans.

I have a late model 4.3 chevy (from a 95 S10) with (I think) a 4L60E

I have a mid 80s Cadillac HT4100 engine with (I think) a 200-4R

I have an older Chevy 350

OK. The Coupe DeVille is begging for an overdrive trans. Will a 200-4R or 4L60E fit to the 390? and with what mods? How would the electronics portion of the 4L60E work in an old car. It's not a powerful car, I just want to be able to afford driving her.

Also, I'm pretty sure both transmissions would fit the 350, and I can rid myself of the other motors. Apparently, that HT4100 is aluminum block, so it's destiny is sealed...

Anyway, any info on fitting these together would be welcomed.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, none of the transmissions will fit the Caddy 390 without an adapter (est $800), the HT4100 is scrap..........The 4L60E will fit the 350 Chev and maybe...just maybe, the 2004R from the HT4100 will also bolt to the Chev 350. I say "maybe" because I do not know for sure what block pattern the HT4100 had, but if that IS a 2004R, the only cases I have seen for them are "multifit", meaning they will bolt to either Chevy or Buick/Olds/Pontiac & late Cadillac (aka BOP pattern) engines.

Are you sure the S-10 tranny is an "E" 4L60 ? But, either way, you can buy a stand alone tranny controller that permits it's use with non-computer engines. I would check with a tranny shop about the internal specs of a V6/S-10 trans, as it may have fewer clutch discs than a V8 model and could benefit from an upgrade, although, if it is good shape and driven sensibly, it may not matter.

Ray

3. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

In reply to Hnstray's post, are adapters for cad motors really that expensive? I've bought an adapter to use a 700 with a 350 olds motor and the adapter was more like $80. Ithink ther are some 200's that aren't multifit but they are very rare.

4. why not just sell all those parts and use the cash to buy a 700r4 that will fit that chevy. 350's are great for daily drivers, parts are cheap, and those motors are tried and true...

5. Concrete B

Concrete B

I eventually found an adapter for the 390 from Bendtsons. They are about $800 with a starter.

I believe it is a 4L60E, the site I was on said 700R4 were up to 90 or 92, then 4L60 for a few years, then 4L60E in the mid 90s with an upgraded 4L60E coming in 97.

I am hoping to use parts I have to make some things work. The 350 I want to keep, even though it has no car to go in yet. My priority is the Caddy. I want to be able to drive it. The Jetaway works, but is not ideal. I do not need the 4.3, nor do I want the 4100 ( scrap for sure). The current plan is to sell the complete 4.3, scrap the 4100, and I'd like to use the transmissions from those 2 engines to complete the other 2 setups. Of course that's not set in stone, but it would be nice. Anyone know what other trans may work easily on that 390 and have 4 speeds and or overdrive? It may be cheaper than adapting over to the 390.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

What do you mean it "needs" overdrive? Most Cadillacs are geared really well from the factory. My dad's 64 CDV is a great highway cruiser.

7. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

It is real interesting to me that the adapter is so expensive, I didn't realizxe about the starter problem etc., for that money nyou could buy an assortment of motor trans combos!

8. squirrel

squirrel

The 66 and older cadillac engines have a bolt pattern that is just a bit different than the later BOP pattern. The dowels and lower bolts are off just a hair....making it quite a pain to adapt the newer trans to the older engines.

Whereas the later BOP pattern shares two bolt and two dowel locations with the Chevy pattern, so it's easy to adapt.

I'm in the "why the hell do you need overdrive on a car geared for highway cruising" crowd

9. Concrete B

Concrete B

GotGas - 63 and 64 have different trans.

10. The 4L60E is computer controlled.

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That may be true, but I assume both have a high gear ratio of 1:1.

His car doesn't have a tachometer, but I would say he's turning around 1900-2200 at average freeway speeds. I'm just not convinced a drop from that is going to be much of a gain, especially if you factor in the expense of adding the OD trans. You'll have to re-engineer the trans cooling, make the shifter work, and possibly have to modify the floor, exhaust, and deal with the driveshaft too.