Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

OW photos of Mario

Attached Files:

2. Clay110

Clay110
    from Queensland

Good to see you got the KK finished KKx125 and you did a great job, i'm sorry I had to give it up but thats life Lucky I had a couple of spairs, now commenced.

3. Clay110

Clay110
    from Queensland

More photo's of your KK IMG_0683.jpg

4. Clay110

Clay110
    from Queensland

From Clay 110

Attached Files:

5. Clay110

Clay110
    from Queensland

Try for one more KK

Attached Files:

6. DocF

DocF

I've been looking at the photo of Mel Kenyon in his car. I know this was taken after his Langhorne accident. I am trying to figure out what fairground that shot was at. I saw Mel win over 100 USAC features. I even remember him driving Leon Mensing's car back before the invention of internal combustion. Try as I might, I cannot stir the old grey matter to come up with the track.

Doc

7. Frye jr

Frye jr

Doc---- I think it's Columbis Indiana. May of 1963 or 64. Both pictures are the same day I think. I was here with my Dad Danny Sr. He was driving for Gus "digger" Sohm. I remember them taking that picture.

8. thebikeguy

thebikeguy
    from australia

Hello

I am looking for some help to find any information and pics of a midget driven by Garry Bettenhausen and built by Harry Turner. It was a tub car and possibly numbered 82 or 16 (not certain of that)
    Other owners of the car may have been Robin Miller, Danny Williams, Roy Caruthers and last owner was Ron Vaughn with Pepi as the driver. Any info on this car throughout its history would be greatly appreciated and help with its restoration

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  9. KKx125

KKx125

Clay 110,Gi,Day & welcome to this site. The photo as my avatar is actually an Edmunds that restored for another guy.My Kurtis is on #2 or #3of this site. I have worked on OFFY motors for over 45 years and midget restos. Currently working on 110 Midget & 270 Big motor. Feel free to share your photos with all of us ,Thanks,Enjoy the site Speedy.

10. Clay110

Clay110
    from Queensland

Thanks Speedy, I'v owned and sponsored a few cars over the years and have been able to keep 2 Chassis and some odd bits, I also have 4 jawa solo's including one long track bike all running. I would like to 2 alloy bodies made for these 2, and I would say at some time in the future I will need some assistance it would be a great help if I could acquire your professional services "RE: parts and engines" I'll be going for the late 60's look so a bit more amateur work by me and i'll be asking for your guidance, if thats ok ??

11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A heads up if you are not aware…

Two in a row, Vintage only meets this coming week.

<O:pThursday evening, June 23, Southern Iowa Speedway at Oskaloosa IA, dirt ½ mile Mississippi Valley Vintage Race Car Association
    <O:p
    and 25 miles west
    <O:p
    Friday evening, June 24<SUP>th</SUP>, Knoxville Raceway, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Knoxville, <st1:State w:st="on">IA</st1:State></ST1:pdirt racing capitol of the world. ½ mile Nostalgia Night courtesy of the Marion County Fairboard and Ralph Capitani. This has been the largest vintage meet in the country by car count.

Saturday June 25<SUP>th</SUP> Knoxville all cars on display, Hall of Fame Museum, banquet, regular Saturday night 410 winged sprinters and 305’s.<O:p

12. DocF

DocF

I think you are right. The wooden "guard rails" threw me. There sure were some interesting race tracks in those days, weren't there?

Doc

13. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Speaking of Pepi Marchese- Does anyone know how he is? I heard he sustained head injuries in a racing accident and never fully recuperated. He was always an upbeat, fun guy, and enjoyed racing and the camaraderie a lot.

14. Ed Battle

Ed Battle
    from Lutz FL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "While at the races Saturday night, a fellow racer pulled up with his new home made two car trailer hauling his and his son's micro sprints. I immediately thought of Pappy Hough and his multi-car trailer. My friend never heard of Pappy. I think I saw it in "Eastern Midget Classics" but I haven't been able to locate a picture online. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, Andy Cardinale Jr"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    YOU WERE RIGHT !

[​IMG]
    Top rear Hough midget comes off trailer
    Patterson NJ 1946

[​IMG]
    Top front Hough midget comes of trailer
    Patterson NJ 1946

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  15. TimMehner

TimMehner
    from Indiana

Bob,
    The last I heard Pepi was living in Muncie, IN (at a V.A. hospital type place??). As far as I know he has been in need of constant care since his accident. I think he's still with us...but not positive on that. Roy might know more than me abotu this.

Pepi was a character for sure. :)

16. Surfref32

Surfref32

Thank you Ed! Are those screen shots from Eastern Midget Classics?

While I'm posting, here's some ARDC action from the May 7, 1968 issue of Illustrated Speedway News. At the bottom of the second scan is the caption for all the photos.

Attached Files:

17. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Last week I posted a photo of a midget roadster. This car is now here on the west coast. Over time a beautiful Kurtis type roadster body has been built but the frame is all beat up and needs rebuilding. Are there drawings of the 1957 Kurtis midget roadsters out there. Or was the layout of the Indy Kurtis roadster and midget roadster similiar, as I have seen drawings of the 1956 Novi.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

18. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

With the help of both Dutch Schaefer & Duke Donaldson, I put that May, 1968 "HANDICAPPED CHILDREN'S DAY" together at the Freeport (NY) Stadium Speedway.

Handicapped children, together with an adult were admitted FREE.

THANKS for posting the pictures, they had been lost to both me and to the Buchholz family.
    Karin Buchholz (the handicapped girl in the second photo) is my cousin.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  19. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Steve, Contact Al Novotnik at 203-847-7861. He has blueprints of the Kurtis Roadsters for sale.

Doug Post

20. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

21. Race Artist

Race Artist

My father, the late Art Naprstek in his HD powered midget at Nutley Velodrome, probably 1938.
    Joel

Attached Files:

22. deuce354

deuce354

WOW Really Cool Photo, Anymore Photos Or History, Your Dad Must Have Been A Hell Of A Guy ,You Had To Have Big Ones To Race At Nutley, It Was A Killer Track

23. Old Sprinter

Old Sprinter

Don Edmunds offers plans for his 60s sprinter, midget and super in 1/8 scale on his web site. Great plans as I am building a model of his 4 bar midget with an Offy. I got a wealth of info on the Offy from a guy in New Mexico who knows everything about these motors. I thought you all might be interested.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks! Of course my dad was my hero. He never won in his brief midget career but as he always said when some of us kids would make fun of the guys that were down on bucks and equipment at the track :They're out there and you're in the stands watching" The lesson was learned and respect forever given.
    I have a few more pictures that I'll post soon if I can.
    Joel

25. thebikeguy

thebikeguy
    from australia

Thanks very much to both Tim and Bob for your reply. Yes you are correct Pepi is in a care home and I have spoken with his brother regarding this.

Ia still after info on the car or any pics that people may have of the car previous to Pepi / Ron Vaughn ownership.
    Previous owners were Roy Caruthers, Gary Bettenhausen, Robin Miller pics and info on the car would be much appreciated and help with resto.

26. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hi! 'Could you please just make one little clarification regarding the Harry Turner car you now own? Is it the former #7 & #16 Harry Turner monocoque chassis with a Chevy II engine that Gary Bettenhausen owned and won the 1970 USAC Turkey Night Grand Prix? And then the #16 that brother Merle made his comeback to racing in 1973 after losing his arm at Michigan the year before? 'Because I had no clue that Roy and Robin Miller also owned the very same car??? Thanks and good luck, thebikeguy.

note: If that is indeed the same car, I've posted many pics of that car on various websites. (In particular, the #7 car w/o cage driven by Gary at San Jose Speedway, 1970. #16 w/cage staged for the 1971 Turkey Night GP. And the 1973 Summer Edition of Racing Pictorial Magazine has a pic of Merle posing beside the white #16 car.)

27. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Just got a fuel injector for chevy 2 4 banger if interested pm me !

28. Jobbo

Jobbo

Hi there and thanks for your response to my post.
    Still trying to figure all this techno stuff out so I didnt see your reply until today!
    The car came from Gary Schroeder in Burbank. I understand that it is a Kurtis frame, Edmunds rear cross bar kit and a custom body. The Chevy11 runs on Ethanol.
    I have found some items detailing Ollie Prather's Indy 500 entries but nothing at all regarding the Midget.
    I will post some more pictures as soon as I can.
    Cheers,
    Mark

29. TommyA19

TommyA19

Question for the gang:
    I've been on the Hinchliffe Stadium Facebook page talking about the Joe Barzda stretched midget and now we're wondering - since Joe basically just moved the front axle forward, has anyone heard of him moving that front axle back to where it was as a midget, and run it as a midget, again. How about other stretched midgets? Anyone ever hear of one going back to midget status?

30. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Went to AACA car show at Old Westbury earlier this month and came across the Vitucci Offy. Still looking good.

Attached Files: