Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955-1957 Chevy Rescue/ Salvage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jun 17, 2011.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I would like pictures and links to the most decrepit, beat up etc. salvage that has been done to a tri-five. How far have people gone to save one of these cars. Seems like they're becoming as popular as the 32 Ford. Where would you draw the line at saving one. Reason being, I have a lead on a 57 thats down a 300 foot embankment and I want to see the lengths others have gone to to save them. BTW FWIW its a 2 door hardtop.

2. Deuces

Deuces

This should be interesting.....

3. Deuces

Deuces

4. 1320/150

1320/150

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447357

I would have to see pics. I am all for saving a tri five,but I have seen some that should just be left to rest in peace. I personally believe you might have a little more of a challenge with it being a hardtop,they have a little less structure than the 2 door post My $.02

5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I know of this one just wanting to be saved :eek:

Attached Files:

6. Larry T

Larry T

I think that depend on what the end purpose of the car is. Boyd Coddington (RIP) went as far as turning a 59 into his idea of a 57. People have scratch built aluminum Willys'. And if you're gonna build a tube chassised race car out of it, all you need is the roof and a couple of good quarter panels.

If the idea is to turn the car back into a running, driving automobile with a minimum outlay of cash, I'd look at the car and see how bad it is. There's probably a reason it's still where it is.

There isn't a lot of logic to taking a car and investing (just an example) $20,000.00 dollars in labor and repair to get the car to the point of being able to sell it for $10,000.00. Some vehicles are worth more as parts vehicles than builders.

I'm working on a money pit (bike) that should have been parted out right now.
    Larry T

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have mentioned this before, but a fellow I know, not far from me, has a pristine '57 Chevy Convertible that he worked on for several years...
    He started with just the Cowl and Windshield....
    Cheers.......

8. scotts52

scotts52

My driving force behind saving it, is that my dad had a 57 back in the late 50's/ early 60's. He talked about the car forever. We vowed to get another one together. I tried several times to get one but it never worked out. He died in 2000, before we had a chance to realize that dream. I have since tried and tried to get something to build in his memory, but I just can't afford to buy one. Everybody wants 5 grand or more just for an incomplete major project. I can piece something together with a little money here and a little money there, but can never save up enough at one time to buy one of these other projects. I was to go pick up this 2 dr htp project below but the weather turned bad. Guy said to come back in spring when the ground dried up. It wasn't his but he was helping the lady on whose land it was. Well, by the time spring arrived and I went to get it, the lady had everything in sight crushed and had moved and he had no idea about this until he went to see if the ground had dried enough for us to get in there. A big surprise to both of us.

Attached Files:

9. henry29

henry29

There was a thread about 2-3 years ago on this exact same car.

10. scotts52

scotts52

Yeah, that was my thread. Kinda ticked me off that the lady didn't give us any heads up. I had given her a small deposit so she knew I was serious but she didn't care. I was ready to go up and get it no matter how muddy it was but they insisted we wait till spring. This was in late October when I was to get it. I know of a 4 door that is cheap, but pretty stripped. I figured if I can haul the 2 door up the hill. If its too far gone, I can use necessary part to convert 4 door into 2 door. I have a hood, front bumper and a front fender already saved up for a project. Just need the rest of the car.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356508

11. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

All you need to do the 4 to 2 door conversion fron the 2 door is the doors.

12. classic gary

classic gary

Wow, is that one even worth the work to drag it to saftey? I say no, but that's JMO.
    Maybe unbolt the parts that can be, and let the "rest in peace".
    '57's just ain't that rare yet.........

13. LDGn63

LDGn63

unless you are the kind of guy that can do this stuff (especially bodywork) in your SLEEP and think doing it is better than SEX, do yourself (and everyone you love around you) a big favor and start with a GOOD body.
    if you start with this, you will end up upside down on cash and personally inside out... and chances are it wont be done. I mean No ill reflection on you, but some of the guys here are so talented that they make is stuff look easy... IT AINT!
    just my .02

14. squirrel

squirrel

There are an awful lot of these cars in good enough condition that it's probably worth sacrificing some to parts car duty.

Then again....my 55 had been parted out almost completely before I got it, someone put a few major parts on it to make the car presentable enough to sell, and I scrounged the rest. I'm glad it was saved.

15. Considering the prices that some are commanding, even what used to be considered a parts car, practically any Tri-5 is worth saving.

16. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I would drag that thing home for sure if for nothing else a parts car to fix a better one. If you decide to fix it make sure you have a title for it before spending one dime!!! Maybe your state is easier on titles than some places.

17. Swifster

Swifster

It is FAR cheaper to start with a solid car vs a rusty POS. That $5000 project is probably a better deal if it's solid.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sorry man but if its a hardtop (like you said)at the foot of the hill,you will need the whole rear clip,doors etc to convert it to a 2 door h/t,but if its a post you will just need the quarter sections and doors to convert a 4 door post(not 4 door h/t) to a 2 door post
    all of the floor would be basicly the same but the front of the quarters,top,doors,glass etc. etc. on the hardtop will be diffrent than the sedan/post cars.

.........but get it if you can,you will use something off it or maybe someone else can.;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  19. RichG

RichG

I'm pretty much useless, but I'd ride along for moral support and to take pictures.:D (I also have a full size Bronco that doesn't mind playing in the dirt)