Register now to get rid of these ads!

spray paint....what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by its a classic, Jun 16, 2011.

1. its a classic

its a classic
    from montana

hey guys so i picked up a "64" gmc and it was beat to hell! so i had another gmc that i stole the front fenders and hood off of for the "64". anyways the paint on the "64" was pretty good but the fenders and hood were bare metal. and my mom said that the whole pickup had to be one color to drive it. well im constantly beating dents out of the pickup so i didnt see the pros of spending money on paint and taking the time to paint it just to have to redo it later. and i only had like 2 days to do it anyways before i was going to drive it. anyways i get flak from people(i really dont care what they say) that im an idiot for spray painting it. i did it impliment enamel blue and you can tell its been spray painted. anyways i just wanted to get your opinions on the whole spray painting deal. this pickup is my DD 30 miles everyday to work. of course once i get the body work done ill paint it right but until then its nice to be able to strip a section then once i get it done just spray some more paint on it. anyways i want to hear what you guys have to say about it?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I admire your Passion But this forum is for 1964 and down ,I cant talk about my 69 firebird on here So dont be surprised if it gets deleted .On painting part Spray paint cant be painted over with real paint jobs ,You will have to strip it off before painting ,I had a friend that was very good with spray cans and he painted his whole truck with them.Looked pretty good for a driver.......

3. its a classic

its a classic
    from montana

woops sorry. ok so my 64 chevy....hehe. and ya ill strip it down to metal. i just wanted to get some thoughts on it. thanks for the reply and the heads up on the years. but its more about the paint then the year of vehicle.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

In the search function on this site Theres many articles on brush painting ,Rolling and rustoleum paint jobs .Go back and change the title of your thread......64 and down.....

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

If you have to spray paint then you have to spray paint. But I think the blue was a mistake, should have stayed with black, white, or maybe gray... and flat...

6. Spray paint will have some durability questions. It's not a substitute for a good paint job. While it's better than nothing, it porbably isn't going to stand up to winter in a northern state. Get it fixed up and then get a real paint job as soon as you can, you wouldn't want your "64 Chevy" to rust before it turns 40.

Good luck with your Mom.....I've been through that,too.

7. its a classic

its a classic
    from montana

well i hope to paint it the end of summer if everything goes right. its just a quick fix.
    and ya i should have picked a color becides blue. shoulda just painted it all orange cause the "64" was already orange becides the front fenders and hood. oh well, live and learn