Register now to get rid of these ads!

Minnesota Back to the Fifties..Whos going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jun 2, 2011.

1. PinHead

PinHead

Man, this thread is almost depressing for me, I went for nearly ten years straight and now this will be the third in a row that I've missed since then. Life throws you a curve and you just deal with it, you know...

I have so many memories of this show when I was a kid going with my dad; bought my first car, my 62 Fairlane, up there when I was 17. Seems like it almost rains up there at some point though. Whatever, it just adds to the experience. The MSRA really have their act together and really make this a great show for what you pay, for a whole weekend.

Hope the rest of you guys have a great time, looking forward to get my Fairlane back up there someday!

2. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Yep I am going up for the weekend. Can't wait. See ya if you are there.

3. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Drivin' the '57 chevy up Friday morning

4. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Day one of four almost in the bag. Looks like it's going to be a great weekend. Quite a bit of activity in the south campground. Good times!

5. Hot Rod Hoodlum

Hot Rod Hoodlum

I'm leaving now! I should be there in a few hours.

6. thotvet

thotvet

I might make it on Saturday, depending how the bachelor party goes tonight. Unfortunately no car this year:mad:

7. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

spent 5 hours at registration yesterday nice day cool breeze and shade

going down to the 50's in a hour with the 61 Catalina
    [​IMG]

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Been there done that for today.
    Work at the show tomorrow.
    Vending at the swap Sunday.

9. titus

titus

Oh great!

10. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I completely agree! Registration is a joke. I had to work Thursday until 6 then scramble to get up to the hotel and deal with the circus that is the sign in thing. I don't get why all of those people want to just sit there in the hotel parking lot and hang out and make it impossible for anyone else to get in and out of there. I went with the wife this year and had her circle the car while I ran in.

Jay

11. Had a blast today, will be there all weekend.

12. 29essex

29essex

Their registration there does have a lot to be desired. It wouldn't take much to charge a couple dollars more for the registration and have the paperwork mailed to you before the show. We have gone there for seven years and registered a vehicle every year and drove it up there. It would really help lessen the congestion and decrease aggravation.

We also know from experience that the way the camping spots are handed out could really use an overhaul. They have numerous people who buy a camping spot there but don't even have an old car. I can't even tell you how many people we ran into that were from right there in the Twin Cities that would buy a camping spot, not even keep their old car there, and then drive back home to drive the car over to the show. Then when the day was over, or if it rained, they would take the car back to the house. We also know of others that registered a vehicle but never even brought it to the show or camping grounds.

From experience it's very aggravating to drive a few hundred miles one way to try and fight the locals for a place to stay. The locals that do this should really think about those who drive in from longer distances. Try to be more accommodating to their fellow man. Don't even get me started on how they let the RV's in to the camp grounds. It just down right sucks showing up in an old car after having to drive 4 hours, show up 2 days before the camp grounds are even opened and you show up 2 days early just to have hopes of getting a spot, and then get stuck with having to camp between two huge RV's. The generators running all the time and the rigs blowing exhaust into your tent. Yes, I did say tent. Not everybody has a damn camper. I guess it can be tough to live a few days without AC or TV, but it can be done.

We do really like coming there and looking at the old cars. There is some really good food at the show, too. From our perspective it ruins the experience when having to deal with all this side stuff that could be worked on to make it more enjoyable by all instead of a select few. We have skipped this show now for a total of three years now. We do miss the old cars but we don't miss the bs that comes with trying to be part of the show. Found it to actually be more enjoyable in a way to just stay home, work on the cars like we want to, hit a few local smaller shows, and fire up the grill. We still drive the snot out of our old stuff and rebuild it when it comes time.

Oh well. They won't change anything about it for us. We don't have enough money and don't hold any type of political position within the MSRA. At least there is always hope.

13. Sounds like a bunch of whiners. Get out and learn the cities, I saw a ton of folks staying at the newer hotels up on 694 and that is minutes away from the North gate that you get ushered right in.

We had a blast the last two days, had about 20-25 HAMBers invade the Morton Building in the rain for our meat and greet. Where else can the DW drop in and hand out wet hugs. Had lunch with BobK, BSed with TomH in the rain. Drank a beer with Povertyflats who hauled my new tranny from Rocky.....Thanks a ton to those two!!!!!Even in the steady rain this afternoon there was plenty to see.

I also forgot to mention it was my pleasure to meet AbeLugo and talk Hot Wheels, his bride Mel surprised us with an appearance worthy of hefty clad celebrities (aka cheap rain ponchos!)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  14. drying out my soaked wallet and check book now
    even after handing out my camera for group pics there was none to show ?
    i am happy with the week end so far .................

sure i could complain too but that sounds normal for me .............

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The weather forecast looks better for tomorrow...

16. Hope so. It was pretty soggy today. Still not all bad. Looking forward for tomorrow. I was over by the Coliseum when the rain hit. Missed the M & G.

17. Jason455

Jason455

I missed the m&g too but still seen enough iron and wet tshirts to make me happy. Awesome show.

18. Just got back from the swap and had a good time. Hung out with Titus and crew, met seesko and Stick Shift. Steffan and I hiked for 20 minutes looking for Bulls Tudor where it was supposed to be with no luck. Very good swap meet, lots of stuff there. Springfield MO is the only one that I would call bigger.......at least the ones I have been to.

19. I saw Bull a couple of times cruising around

20. Bull was a VERY happy camper. His A looked great.
    50's was awesome this year in spite of the rain. Great seeing so many friends and making some new ones. Met Marci and Jeff Allison. Tman too.

21. Yes, nice to finally meet you in person as well! You aren't the only person this weekend that said something like "which one of the Vagabonds are yo..?.......oh, you must be Tman!" Dunno if that is bad or good!;):D

Jeffs swap spot was a good place to hang AND buy stuff!

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I have done Back to the 50s for 6 years now and that swap meet is one of the best - this year I scored a nice chromed bumper for the '35!

23. its over, the cars went home whhat?
    only 362 days til next one ...

24. Snarl and I had a fine time - good hanging with you guys! Got a little soggy on Saturday- finally bagged it around 4 PM - ended up at the MOA and ran into LouverDude and family and rode the rides.

Went back for it on Sunday and got to see a lot of stuff we missed on Saturday afternoon. Bryan was pleased with the swap.

25. It'z a good thing...Jeff is a hot rod culture magnet. Super nice guy too.

26. TinShed

TinShed

That was the only good thing about the rain on Saturday!

I did not make the M&G either but did get to yell as Bull rolled by on Friday with is A with a smile from ear to ear. :D

27. Yup, had a great chat with Bryan at the swap! I only made it through a small portion of it but already had quite a load of parts to haul home anyway!