Register now to get rid of these ads!

A word about jackstands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

So where can a set made in America be found? I use the chinese ones because I do not know where to find some made in the U.S. I do not trust them and always use a redundant backup.

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Plywood cut to size and layered up to the desired height then screwed together is a really safe back-up to jack stands. We use in the heavy lift
    industry to support hundreds of tons safely.

3. I found my set at Costco. They have them from time to time.

4. Guess I'm the only one that has witnessed jack stands sinking into hot pavement and the car going over.Seen it happen on dirt as well. Jack stands are fine inside a cool garage and on concrete if you ask me. Other than that I use 6 x 6 chunks of wood sufficient size and on a level surface.If the wheels are off they go under the car as well.Cheap off shore jack stands aren't worth their weight in scrap.My buddy at the junkyard uses 20 gallon propane tanks laying on their sides but I won't go under the cars....

5. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

Chunks of railroad ties, 6 x 6 blocks, 4 x 4 blocks, etc etc always worked just fine on the farm. We never used jackstands (didnt have any, and most of the equipment wouldve been too heavy for them anyways).

This must be the reason why I still dont fully trust jackstands, and always have a "secondary support" as a safety precaution to a freak jackstand failure.

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Box Cribbing Stands are strong as hell and sturdy.

[​IMG]

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Same here. I've never bought any jackstands, as it always seemed to me the bases were too narrow, giving the car a dangerously high center of gravity. Too easy for a buddy to lean on or accidentally bump into. BUT, I know some HAMBers build their own, Beaner being one; least you KNOW what they're made of, right?

Anyway, what do the cheap HF/etc. ones cost nowadays VS. U.S.-made??? Anybody know recent prices (approx., I mean).

8. Eight433

Eight433

Had a buddy of mine killed by not using stands. We worked on semi trucks and trailers together every day for a year without incident. One weekend he was doing something to his moms grand prix in her driveway and got crushed. Actually, he was the one who introduced me to the hamb.

So yea, I use jack stands. And lots of them. And I always try to push the car off of them before I will crawl under it. Better than waiting till you're under it to find out if its secure.

9. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Glad I'm not the only one.

10. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I do that too.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if im "running short" on jack stands..I get off my lazy ass and go buy a few more

is this some sort of trick question?

12. squirrel

squirrel

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  13. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Had a 3600 pound car fall on me cause a stamped steel stand failed. My shoulders held the car up till a guy walking by jacked the car up and dragged me out not breathing.
    I didn't like the music I was hearing and decided to come back. I use real good stands now..and I still think about the special music I was hearing while working under the car now(even when it's on a four or two post lift) and the pain I went through for months no make that years after. No cider blocks for me thank you.
    I do have some stands made of 2X6's a foot long stacked flat and screwed on each other that I trust too. Use them on my little british race cars to keep the racing tires off the ground.

14. The 'beaner's place is a good place to get a pair of American made jackstands. But that is a long way to drive. You could also make a pair for yourself in a pinch.

A simple trick if you have lots of wheels laying around is to lay a wheel on its side then stand a wheel up in the center of it. Weld the two wheels together. Not adjustable but it will hold the car up and is real stable.

Note: this doesn't work well with magnesium wheels.

15. Dino

Dino

If not on a lift, I use the largest jackstands which will fit, with the floor jack left just touching the lift point as yet another backup...

16. chuxx

chuxx

HF's got a pair of 6 tonners for 39.99. Never thought about the direction of the wood grain until PinHead mentioned it above, considering what he's working on, he's got cred in my book......wood is good!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I keep 2'x2' pieces of plywood around for blacktop and dirt.

18. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Blocks of ice, left over from the cook out

19. i have many sets of jack stands, but keep a couple sets of car ramps [good guy solid, angle iron/diamond plate type] that i slide under the wheels!

20. rustyangels

rustyangels

Ha! A timed wheel rotation!

21. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

When I was in high school I went to a buddy's house and found him putting a clutch in his 340 Duster with the car raised on 4 bumper jacks. I didn't offer to help.
    Yes he's still alive 33yrs later. :rolleyes:

22. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

6 x6 blocks work good but hard to move around, a good tip i seen was to use screen door handles screwed to the ends. That way they can be moved aronnd and pulled out easy.

23. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

good quality jackstands are a requirement - then shake the s%%t out of it before you crawl under and finally a tip from my dad - throw a tire and rim under the frame. You will always have a backup if you do that and it is quick and easy. My kids do it because I passed the above info on to them!

24. B Blue

B Blue

I use these a lot. I feel real comfortable with them, more so than with stands. Also use jackstands. Depends on the job and location.

[​IMG]

Bill

25. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

I have a set of these and they have proven to be very handy and stable, especially on softer ground. I don't always have concrete to set up on. Keeps the steel based stands from sinking into the asphalt and ruining the driveway.

26. slammed49

slammed49

My brother and I tried the cinder blocks...once...NOT good results but at least both are dumb asses are still alive...Harbor Freight jack stands for me!

27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have 3 sets of stands ,1 low and the other 2 are bigger ,All ratcheting though .....

28. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

In the shop - only use jack stands . In my vechicle storage lot - sit bodys and cars without wheeles on railroad ties

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

These look really good and I am considering building a set for myself.

The biggest drawback I can see would be the difficulty in getting the car down off of them.

Any idea how you would do that ?