Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

Track was probably Debo,near Steubenville,Ohio. I think it was put together by the Burriss boys-Frank and Bob. Bob was the original driver of the Wilbur Hawthorne Trevis Craft Sprinter. When it was new,He set a new track record at Greater Pittsburgh Speedway(Clinton). The yellow car #5 was probably the McMillan#5. Go to "adamandersonracing"for some history-He's a Mcmillan grandson,I think. He races#5b(yellw&blue lettering):D

2. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

The Chamberlain/ Beletsky car is now owned by Ray Boissoneau of Concord NH

3. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

John is correct... on all counts.

Bobbie drove for the McMillan Bros., I'm thinking before Steve Travers had the ride.

First car I saw Bobbie drive was the #21 Ascot Imported Cars super-mod at Greater Pitt.

LM

4. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Thanks for answering that question...

Always comes up around here as to what became of that car.

LM

5. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hi Guys, in the Tampa photo ,does anyone know the identity of the orange #96??
    The car make , engine , driver , history??
    It looks very close to my Shilala which had orange sprayed over its original black ,and had run #96 when it was black.
    If so, this is the first period photo I have seen of it .
    Many thanks Greg

6. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Here's a distant shot of your car in question. I don't remember who drove the car. Thanks to everyone again about the Bobbie Adamson scoop. I come on this site and ask a question and I'm transported back 40 - 50 years. Those times seem like yesterday, but they also seem like a lifetime ago. And Greg, if I find anymore photos of the #96 car, I'll post them.

7. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Some of you have mentioned Frank Burriss. Frank was one of my dad's best friends. They had a lot of good races together down along the Ohio River. Here's a picture of Frank sitting on Russ Garber's lap at our house in 1969. Frank drove the Dill's Duece and Russ owned a garage in Ohio and helped Dad sometimes with his race cars. Russ was a good guy to keep an eye on the car and tools while you were at a driver's meeting. The house sure looks like the '60s

8. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Here's another picture of Frank Burriss. That's my dad Luke to the flagman's left (in the uniform), then Gene Ingold in the dark shirt, and then Frank (in the other uniform with handkerchief) and his son Mike in front. I think this is at Parkersburg, WV. In the bottom right corner you can see #40 on Pappy Buckley's supermodified Dad won with. This was probably '65 or '66. The guys on the other side were either stock car or sportsman drivers.

9. Ebert

Ebert

Me, too!!! NEVER saw these.....thanks!

10. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Hey Easter; I'm sure I was there that night. I have Frank's ph. # if you want it. Talked to him last Mar. while at the old timer get together.

11. easter

easter

Yes sir I'd like Frank's number! Please send it PM if you like - or [email protected]. Thanks Butch. I've got another shot of Dad and Frank in Victory Lane with I think Pat Herrick finishing 2nd.

12. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Anyone coming in for the Latimore Valley Fair next weekend? Track time Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

13. brcisna

brcisna
    from illinois

Was anyone on the board here at the JC Agajanian promoted races at Sacramento Fairgrounds in '68,'69,'70?
    This was a cool find .

[​IMG]

Take Care,
    BC

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

15. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Attached Files:

16. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A heads up if you are not aware…

Two in a row, Vintage only meets this coming week.

<O:pThursday evening, June 23, Southern Iowa Speedway at Oskaloosa IA, dirt ½ mile Mississippi Valley Vintage Race Car Association
    <O:p
    and 25 miles west
    <O:p
    Friday evening, June 24<SUP>th</SUP>, Knoxville Raceway, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Knoxville, <st1:State w:st="on">IA</st1:State></ST1:pdirt racing capitol of the world. ½ mile Nostalgia Night courtesy of the Marion County Fairboard and Ralph Capitani. This has been the largest vintage meet in the country by car count.

Saturday June 25<SUP>th</SUP> Knoxville all cars on display, Hall of Fame Museum, banquet, regular Saturday night 410 winged sprinters and 305’s.<O:p

19. DetailnDude

DetailnDude

that is Ron Perkins ! My Father he was Fast !!

20. DetailnDude

DetailnDude

Yes it is Ron Perkins ! My Father he was FAST !!

21. DetailnDude

DetailnDude

Jan Opperman I think ? I have a lot of pics of him and my dad racing back in the day an Opp was in the red and white 11

22. DetailnDude

DetailnDude

23. JimmyBryan

JimmyBryan

Hi Everyone,

I'm mostly a lurker here, drawn to the site by my admiration of caftsmanship and history, found the vintage modified and sprint threads and enjoy them a lot. It's a real treasure to have so many people sharing so many photos and recollections.

I'd like to say Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Enjoy!

I'd also like to take the opportunity to mark today as the 51st anniversary of the passing of one of the greatest of all time (and my namesake), Jimmy Bryan.

Anyone out there have any personal stories of Jimmy to share?

I picked up and enjoyed a used copy of a book about him a few years ago, and recently discovered that it's been re-released. The co-author has been kind enough to correspond with me via email.

Moderators - would it be OK if I posted a link to the book's e-commerce site?

Regards,
    Jim

24. Anybody recognize this midget Jackie Howerton is with?
    [​IMG]

25. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

The WELD sprint car is owned by aa friend of mine here in Portland, oregon. I am restoring it now.We will post some pictures at a later date when I start to assemble it.

26. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Brian, 'It's the D.J. (Doug) Caruthers Edmunds-SESCO-Chevy from the 1973 USAC Midget season. Doug was still running a two-car team and hauling the cars around in that famous big yellow tandem trailer that he debuted in 1971 for Jimmy and Danny. Besides Howerton, Jimmy Caruthers, Gary Bettenhausen and Tommy Astone were regular drivers in those cars that season.

.....'We can wait for confirmation from racer5c............................

BTW, thank you Brian for all the great videos you provide us.

edit note: That could very well be Doug behind the rear nerf bar in his usual yellow coveralls/jumpsuit that he so often wore.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  27. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Anybody else notice that the R/F brake is plumbed, but there's only a caliper mount on the L/F? I've seen front brakes set up the other way around a million times on dirt, but never right front only before. Some super-secret Caruthers setup? Roy, what's the skinny?

28. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Wow! Good eye! That IS odd, as they generally have the front brakes the other way around to pull the car into the corner. Maybe Jackie Howerton might remember. He's liable to say " Yeah-I remember driving that car- we couldn't get it to stop pushing!" :)

29. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Definately odd drove a car on dirt with 4 wheel brakes once and it pulled to the right entering turns had o brake then reset car can't imagine right front brake only.