Register now to get rid of these ads!

A competitor to Speedway Motors ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MP4/8, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I have always had great experiences with speedway both in racing parts and hot rod parts. Any problem with them was handled with out issues.
    But for what it worth Minnesota Hot Rod Hardware carries a good inventory and is a HAMB alliance vendor, check them out.

2. sololobo

sololobo

Call and ask if you can speak to Speedy Bill, if not ask for some management. This is a huge distributer and some stuff can fall thru the cracks. Take your issues to the source not to a public forum. I hope you get you issues resolved. ~sololobo~

3. I have been buying from Speedway for years, never have I had a problem. Same goes with Summit. When I need something in a hurry I know that I can depend on them. As far as other places to buy from, ante up the $50.00 and become a Alliance member, there's a bunch of good people offering discounts. It's money well spent...

4. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Ditto... The few problems we have encountered with them was resolved quickly by the person who answered the phone, we buy from them almost weekly with good customer service. Just my 2 cents...........

5. X2...McMaster Carr is great to deal with.

6. Lucky3

Lucky3

X3....much the preferred choice. Very nice quality and very little foreign made stuff.
    I have a big problem with Chinese Knock-off stuff (crap) and go out of my way to "Buy American" if it all possible. Just my way of supporting the US labor force.

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

i havent had an issue with speeday,

but I also use Smileys Racing parts for my small parts. I have a store close to me also I can go buy parts like heims, brake fittings, master cyl, valves etc... Always had good service with them.

8. Speedway must be doing something right they are the largest Hot Rod parts supplier on earth... even in this weak economy they seem to be expanding and profiting. Jeanne and I are dealers for a lot of companys and have never had any problems with our suppliers including speedway motors.....Next time you have a question about what parts fit your application call their tech line,no sales pitches just spot on information and its FREE!!!!!

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Look for dirt track roundy-rounders supply stores, I found sources by tracking down Ford 2.3 parts, many places in Kansas, Florida, North Cal, etc. I personally have had no issue with Speedway.

10. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

No issues here. Know what you are ordering and who sells it. Not all is equal (ie banjo opendrive conversion-- go to the hot rod works, not SW) so know your stuff and you get no surprises. Speedway even has stuff that is not listed! Just call and ask. They helped me. Just be careful and do your research first, or ask here first--lol.

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Haven't had bad service, but really dislike some of their predatory business practices, and their Chinese anything. McMaster Carr is the best kept secret around, have used them for years...you do have to learn to use their catalog to find car stuff however. It's astonising what's there.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Am I the only one who has noticed this: the OP is in Reno. I seem to recall that Summit's West Coast Distribution Center is located there - so all he has to do is run around the corner and visit in person. Or maybe that's just too much effort....

13. MP4/8

MP4/8

To the people that actually offered up places to try, thanks for that. I buy from McMaster-Carr regularly. I haven't purchased from jegs in many years. Mainly because I live 25 miles from Summit Racings west coast warehouse. So most of my parts buying is there.
    Sololobo "Take your issues to the source not to a public forum." I didn't in any way bring up my exact issue. I am simply looking for a competitor to them. Someone else did bring up what my problem is though...
    yule16met "He said he would grab some and call me back. He never called back.... "
    That is the issue that prompted me starting this thread. I am not going into details here, not here to trash them. Just simply looking for new parts suppliers that sell the same type of stuff.

Mr48chev "But I have to ask, if you are constantly having problems with orders is the problem them or is it you?"
    You read way to much into that. I am not constantly having problems. This started on saturday. I am in the auto parts selling business. I deal with speedway regularly, and even have a dealer account with them. Almost all of my business with them is done thru faxes and emails. I choose to do this because of the paper trails it leaves. Eliminating mistakes. And the mistakes are very very few. But in this past week, the interaction with them on the phone has made me decide to look around at what else is out there.

Let me share an off topic story with you... Years ago, I was insured with AIG. After all the government bailouts, etc. There was a news story about AIG execs going on a high $$$ retreat. I decided I didn't want to do business with them after reading the story. So I started shopping around. And I found another insurance co, with the same coverages, for less money. So the moral is, sometimes it doesn't hurt to shop around. What do I have to loose ? A little time ? What do I have to gain ? Possibly better pricing ? possibly better parts ? possibly someone closer to me, to cut down on delivery time ?

14. MP4/8

MP4/8

I visit there regularly. In fact I was just there last friday. If you spend anytime looking thru both speedways and summits catalogs, you will see there is a lot of items speedway sells that summit doesnt have.
    Thanks for the usefull post though

15. MP4/8

MP4/8

Wintech is one place I planned on checking out. Spirit the other. The have the types of things I am looking for. I bought from wintech once, and was just neutral on the experience. I bought a set of new brake rotors from them, and one had a huge blem in it. I called them and explained the situation, in that it was usable, but it my situation of a fenderless car and the type of wheels being used, no matter which direction I put it on it would show. And the guy was real nice, understanding, and said return it and he would send me a new one. Which he did. The blem in the next one was only about 1/2 of that in the first one. So He was real nice one the phone, and tried to take care of me. But no one took the time to check over the part to make sure it didn't have the problem the first one did before shipping it.

Edit: I was just at wintec's site. It has changed a lot since I was last there. I think I may have found what I was looking for ! Thanks for that suggestion.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

16. Amen, That's all that's needed to say!!

17. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

X2 on Graingers. They have all the little stuff like clevises etc, prices are cheap. I order their free catalog, it gets delivered on a pallet!