Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Josh, I forgot to say it when I got back, but I SURE enjoyed looking at your handiwork at the Indy museum during race week. Gary

2. sramoa

sramoa

I am sure Nagy was a hungarian native driver.I have an entry list from Oakland,Milford County,MI about in 1939 or 1940 and there was Nagy's name again.Now I don't remember which car entered for him,but later I will give the answer.
    Do you have a race records for him from early 30s years?

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Getting some paint colors together for the midget and wondered if anybody new what color(name, code, or car it was from) Foyt's early coyotes where? I am looking for the Orange he used.
    Thanks

4. 1959 and 1960 Indy 500. Most likely a few clips you've never seen

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

About 1/2 way down the page:
    http://www.foytracing.com/AJFoyt/aj_trivia.html

6. baldtireman

baldtireman

Really nice clip,Brian26!! Thank you!

7. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

8. jrose7004

jrose7004

I enjoyed the old Indy footage!

9. Offy 220

Offy 220

Brian26,

Thanks for the Indy footage! You are correct - never seen these clips! :)

Offy 220

10. easter

easter

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  11. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

12. Thanks guys- glad you enjoyed it.

13. racer5c

racer5c

Hell I thought it looked like the throttle stuck as fast as he was going in to that turn

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

Looks like typical full body racing to me. Looks to me like spectator sakety is not up to U.S.standards,yet! Good thing there was no fire!:eek:

15. easter

easter

How about that sand trap? The car just skimmed over it. I've seen some that have "ridges" in the sand or gravel to catch the car. Some of those photographers seemed unimpressed with the debris - they just stood there as though it was normal. Even the one guy running away from the tire didn't seem that worried. This wreck was within the first hour of the 24 hour race. I could understand that type of action in a Saturday night helmet dash, but damn. Remember years ago when Jim Hall's "Vaccuum Machine" broke suction and got dumped? AJ and Mario used to make these cars get around the track just fine - even if AJ didn't know the shifting pattern. Remember that one?

16. jimg12

jimg12

Rusty coe,
    Saw where you said Vern Tester droce the City of Roses. That was news to me as I thought I knew a lot about the City of Roses car. I just got off the phone with Vern jr. and you were right. Vern drove for about 3 years[I did not know he drove, just thought he flagged] before Harold Shaw drove for Hector. Shaw got killed in the car before the war[he also won a Championship in it]. Vern jr. said Hector cut that car up and got or built another one and named it the City of Roses also. Clift Griffith won 2 MTRRA Championships in it[1946,1947]. Don Turner got killed in that car when Cliff was sick and could not drive for a few weeks. When Cliff quit driving for Hector at the end on 1947 Bobby Grim drove it untill they got the new car in 1952.
    Jim Graybeal

17. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

I know it has a cage and is a midget but can anyone ID the car or driver

Attached Files:

18. David J. Kovac

David J. Kovac

VINTAGE OPEN WHEEL RACE CAR OWNERS
    Dust her off, load her up and join us at BELLE-CLAIR SPEEDWAY, BELLEVILLE IL. on FRIDAY JULY 1st and SATURDAY JULY 2nd.
    Two POWRi midget races, sponsored by LUCAS OIL, both nights on the fast 1/5 mile dirt track.
    VINTAGE OPEN WHEEL CARS on display, two pit passes per displayed vintage cars. VINTAGE cars load in between 2-3PM both days, display on the covered concrete pad just across from the main grandstand. Fenced in BELLE-CLAIR FAIRGROUNDS, 200 South Belt East, plenty of parkinig for your hauler, leave the race car on display overnight, go into the town SATURDAY and come back for the night show. Town Square and motels nearby. Lunch provided on SATURDAY.
    Call to reserve your spot.
    David J. Kovac at 314-220-0699
    See you at the track !

19. BarnMom829

BarnMom829

Just ran across this post and have to add... Al Chamberlain #55 was my uncle. His brother, John, was my dad -- he passed away in 2001. I have tons of pics and memorabilia from their racing days. I am not a racing enthusiast and have no idea what to do with all of it! Any ideas?

20. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

EMMR guys were at Susquehanna Speedway on 6-12-2011, here some of the highlights. enjoy! :D

Attached Files:

21. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Donate the stuff to EMMR. It will well received by all the folks interested in the history of racing. There are a lot of folks use the museum for research.

22. easter

easter

Do you know if Bobby Adamson drove this car?

23. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Bobbie normally drove the Hamiltion #77...

This car is (was?) located in the Johnstown, PA area, and the owner brought it to Jennerstown for some EMMR vintage meets when I was the GM there.

He had drivers names listed on the car. I recall Billy Cassella, Ray Lee Goodwin and Jan Opperman...

LM

24. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Since Al and John were from the Altoona, PA area, and Al raced with URC...that is an excellent suggestion.

BTW... anyone know the history of Al's #55 sprinter, and where it went after he moved on to IMCA? I often thought the Tarr #00 that Andy Phillips raced in Western PA super sprint competition reminded me of the Chamberlain car.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  25. sideways27

sideways27

Just completed adding the Indy style fuel cap that was on the origional car in 1966. Special thanks to Jerry Day who helped me with this and he is healing well but the Doc told him to stay out of sprint cars.

[​IMG][​IMG]

26. easter

easter

[​IMG]

This is the one I was thinking of. This is Tampa IMCA 1967. I don't know the number on this car, but for some reason #35 always comes to mind with Adamson. He kind of reminds me of Dale Blaney - big tall thin fellow who was smooth - Dad always wanted me to give Bobbie a beer before anyone else got one.

27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Al Chamberlain's 55 was Walt Beletsky's chevy powered car in 1958. Hilligas I believe, Driven by George Landry.

28. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

The Hamilton #78 is presently owned by my good friend, Rick Mandelson from Maryland. Here is his website:
    http://www.rickmandelson.com/

Here is an old photo of Adamson in the #77.

[​IMG]

29. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Before hooking up with Al Hamilton in Central PA, Bobbie was the regular driver of the Wilbur Hawthorne Trevis #35.

Billy Cassella moved into the #35 when Bobbie left...

LM

30. easter

easter

Thanks everybody for the scoop on Bobbie Adamson. I remember both cars (#35 and #77) I think I saw the #35 more. My dad raced with Bobbie in IMCA and several years earlier in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Once, when I was pretty young, Dad and I went to a track near the Ohio/Pennsylvania/WV line - I think it was called Dobbies - maybe Debo? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Dad said: "That new yellow car is Bobbie Adamson - he's fast." I also think the car was a #5. Anybody remember that?