Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Frye jr

Frye jr

Spike- I remember that very well. That ended up with a big crowd. My dad and I were standing next to Jim Adair when it happened and Jim turned to turned to my Dad Danny Sr and said "Mr Welsh is a nice guy,would you please hold my cigarettes" turned around and laid out McCoy Sr and just walked off into the night.

2. the shadow

the shadow

Posted this sale add for a new friend, he is selling his fathers midget that was raced from the late 1930's till late 1941. Bill Holland built & ran it at philly's yellow jacket stadium as well as langhorne ,sanatoga & reading fairgrounds. after returning from the war (WWII) he didn't race anmore but saved the car in his garage. In the late 1990's bill in his 80's rebuilt the v8-60 engine & started to restore the car to run agian but he passed away. his son has the car now and wish's to sell it. he has documentation of his fathers racing performance with the car as well as some old built pictures. it's a real nice piece and whom ever buys it should rstor it as it was raced under the bill holland name. If our interested please email Kyle at the email listed in the add & say ou saw the add I (paul) posted for him. all the hard work has been done on this car, it does need a cowl (hood) & correct tires but it should fire up with a push start. for anyone collectin earl midgets it's a neat find. I can asssist with suppling more pic (which I have) as well as helping the buyer close the deal and or store it till they can pic it up ect.
    here's the sale link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6622705#post6622705

Paul

3. the shadow

the shadow

this is not the same ill holland that ran after the war & ran indy ect

4. cars5752

cars5752

Blackie -- for EVM help, call Ron's Fuel Injection in Tucson, Az.
    Tech line is 1-520-807-7555
    Ask for Jeremy Camacho. He help me out with old EVM items
    several times. They were very nice folks and my experiences
    were always good.

5. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call.

Blacki-Suede

6. Well its been a crazy 8 months. My passion for the Offy Midget Engine has taken over my life and thats a good thing. I appriciate all of your support and input.
    For those of you that have seen my website there have been some upates, including this video of one of my completed engines. ENJOY !

7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Have you had any of your engines using that collector-type header on a dyno?

I always wondered what that type of exhaust system would do compared to the traditional looking pipe?

8. Speedwrench,
    Never on a Dyno. We did run with this style header on or LTC Offy.
    Did have to make jetting changes. So I suspect that it scavenged much better.

9. the shadow

the shadow

Can anyone ID the car & driver from this crude picture (of a picture that was in a frame)? or ID the car?

also can anone tell me if the early mdgets had an cast built into the front spring perch's? the midget have has the front spring perch 90 degree's to the frame, it's a narrowed model A front axel. Just wondering if thats how the were set up because the last owner cut off the original spring perch & made his own bracket to set the suspension higher to drop the nose?

Paul

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Harry Hespell's cars had that front nerf bar Shadow, but i don't recognize the guy.

11. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

That is definately one of Harry Hespell's cars.

12. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Here is a picture of Eddie Sachs in the Charlie Sacks Offy Midget. I have no idea where this was taken but I used this to make my decals. Eddie may have only driven this once but it appears, based on publications about Eddie, that he may have driven it several times around the Allentown area (Reading, Allentown, Hatfield, etc.).

I have also included a picture of the restored Sacks Offy Midget.

Attached Files:

13. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Who owns the 18 now? Looks like he backed it into the fence!

14. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Looks like it might be one of those nagging push truck accidents...bumper straight, I hate those..

15. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I had thought that but figured guys would be a little more careful with these vintages machines. $h!t happens I guess!

16. Surfref32

Surfref32

I was wondering what kind of power and weight midgets had through the years. I thought a chart of some sort would be cool so we could compare engines and chassis and see how things changed through time.

17. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

This ones for RABs32, enjoy! :D

Mark Gilmore 6-12-11 at Susquehanna Speedway ARDC action.

Lee

Attached Files:

• 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      487.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Surfref32, I think tires have made a big difference too. Denny Z

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Lee thanks alot for the shot,It looks a hell of alot better than what he did at Grandview 2 weeks ago....Thanks Again,Rich

20. steamer

steamer

Anyone interested in a trailer for their midget, I have on for sale in Jersey. shoot me an e-mail,[email protected].

21. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

22. gearguy

gearguy

I have assembled a chart with midget racing costs adjusted for inflation over the years and can probably add motor hp to it with a look at the reference material and my Desk Top Dyno program.

Mr. White's excellent Offenhauser book, for example, has some dyno info and adds from back in the day. Based on race results it is fair to say the better V8-60s were close to the Offy.

By 1965 the Chevy II was probably equal to the current Offy & by 1969 the Sesco beat them both.

My Ford Focus has maybe 185 HP from a pretty stock 122 cubic inches; better than most of the midget Offys. A top flight national motor is pushing 375 HP. In their defense, my Focus did 48 races before "laying down" about what mid-1970s Chevy II or Offy could do between rebuilds.

PM me if you want a copy of the cost chart. It doesn't post well here.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

23. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

1969 Astro Grand Prix at the Astrodome

Attached Files:

24. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Mel Kenyon

Attached Files:

25. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Lee Raceway programs
    Lee, New Hampshire

Attached Files:

26. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Could someone ID this midget roadster and driver

Attached Files:

27. thebikeguy

thebikeguy
    from australia

I am wondering if anybody here may have any knowlwdg of midgets races at Manzanita Speedway??

In particular a car from the late 80,s (88-89)

Itt was owned by a lady Danna Williams and her driver was a guy called Wayne Moughler

any info appreciated [​IMG]

28. thebikeguy

thebikeguy
    from australia

Also the chassis pictured above does anyone recognise it as any particular make/brand??

Any info appreciated

29. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Lee Raceway program photos

Attached Files:

30. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

pic#2 King Carpenter hits wall at Waterford Speedbowl after steering breaks.
    pic#4 Ray Roberts is thought to have the National record for getting on his head. (31 times)

Attached Files: