Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. I have watched it a few times lately and thought it was ages ago but it's not and I've even had mixed feelings and gone oh maybe I should have left it alone but that feeling passes pretty quick cause it's looking heaps better now in my opinion and I'm making it my own now. Yeah i'd say the car may be completely bare metal for chopped possibly with all the welds all cleaned up and maybe even lead filled frenched head/tail lights. We'll see what happens. All I know is o really wanna drag it all day sat at chopped I etter get the gearbox sorted out

2. sp1ke

sp1ke

I sure do love your car but I also think I am a little one sided on the car!!!!!!

sp1ke

3. Ha ha I can see why, being a fellow club/bussines man from the other side of the world. Maye not the other side but a massive bit of water away.
    Cheers mate

4. now thats what im talking about, shitloads of feedback on the car, that gets me motivated to keep the ball rolling. thanks everyone

5. It's cool what you cats are doing. This sorta stuff ( engine, chop) is inspiring , way out in front of where I'm at.
    Makes me want to get my F.J. rolling outta the paddock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Hey that's cool mate thanks alot. Cool pic to. Cheers

7. half day strike again from work means more shit happening in the shed, love it

8. Justin's a strangish man, to much time alone I think, his Pick up's at paint, it's very green.

Tell Arhon, us local headlights try FC, similar to the others just a little smaller and probably better in scale if your going down that path. There is that there's probably some at Ryan's old mans yard you could score to look at / Tape in place to see how you like em.

Looking forward to the next installment, loving the build, and especially the mateship involved. Well done

Mark

9. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey Man ! Enjoyed the Post and all tha' Pics, ..................But, Can't find the follow-up on the Top Chop ???? Show Me Again, Thanks
    Smoke' :cool:

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice work,keep it up!

11. Ha ha ha ha. Yeah he is. Good guy but od.
    Yeah there's an idea with the dc headlights. I think I will just do drenched once. Not sure if I'm sold on the look of the headlights with a little visor type thig but it's all stuff to think about. I'm looking forward to doin the wheel arch drop with Ahron one day. 2 inch wheel arch drop will make it look cool as.
    Thanks. Hopefully we have some more progress on the roof sat. The esky is still loaded up since last weekend so I might be able to convince Ahron to come round for a couple hours and get the other qaurter window in.
    DES

12. Hey mate thanks alot. The pics I have uploaded till now is were we are up to see I will upload more as more gets done to the roof hopefully sat. Maybe even fri night

13. toranaback

toranaback

D, Big ups to you and the crew! you guys know your shit!!!!!!
    that sled is going to be one of the coolest cars on oz, so im thinkin that when it hits the road you are going to have to do a country wide tour to show it off! when u reach brissvegas i will have a full esky wiatin for you all and a shed to drink in . top work and congrats you deserve the coolest ride in town!
    Mick

14. stuffs still happening down here at eldoradoville, got the cowl panel between the bonnet and windscreen bared up and got the other rear qaurter bared, that one had a few surprises in the form of filler and no panel beating, but thats cool, has to be expected in a 60 year old car, and will give me a chance to tune up my panel beating skils ha ha.
    also cut and tacked in the fuel filler panel, me and ahron spent tonight in at waddingtons making the other side window panel, at least starting it anyway,
    we are gunna spend sat arvo and night on the roof among other thing and beer, i plan on oxy welding in the fuel filler,maybe finish off the a pillers and dp the b pillers and door window frames, shaving the door handles and weldin up the mirror holes and stuff, and more striping, se how much i can get done, should be another productive weekend, as i only have 17 days till i head to the u.s. for a month cruising round. if any ha,bers in the states feel like offering a place to park the rv and hang out for a night along the way just let me know and there will be budweisers in it for u.
    a couple pics,
    dont laugh a mate from the cabalerros told me about these caps on ebay, 55 desoto, i think im gunna get em, its either cool or really lame thats they say des but i reckon there a cool hubcap and would be different i think, would like to know what people think, i can always hang em on the shed wall or put a bullet in the center,
    nice night for a cruise in the valiant.............

Attached Files:

15. ha ha ha ha thanks brother, not sure if ur taking the piss or not ha ha, but thanks anyway.
    i would deffinatly hang in your shed and smash brews, thanks alot mick.
    i hope it turns out as cool as u think its gunna be...........

16. D,

The Desoto caps r definitly a go buddy. I've no doubt u will pick up at least 1 other set whilst in the US & many other cool parts.

French HL will only add to the evolving coolness of this ride.
    Also no aprons are good, my opinon.. :)

J168

17. yeah, im glad to here someone digs the desoto caps, i reckon there rad and may look good have to wait till i get them, that is if i win them on sat,
    oh shit yeah i gunna get me some little shoebox treat while in the states,

not sure what u mean by no aprons are good????

thanks mate
    des

18. ha ha ha, moments dumbness, yeah just realised what u meant, the headlightds, yeah im open to peoples ideas an opinions but i think just frenched buckets will look good.

19. i just thought id share this little bit of knowledge that brother jeffree shared with me when i was doin the fuel filler,
    this is the way he does it
    i took the fuel filler flap off, just left the opening, he said measure the opeing and ad 10mm at all four sides, so it overlaps, then cut out your panel in a square peice obviously,
    use a 4 inch cut off wheel and mark the edges on each corner of your panel to make them a nice rounded shape, making sure u dont mark them to round as to loose all your material,
    then check this on the whole in which you want to cover,
    trim them up neatly with your tin snips.
    get your shape, ur curves and stuff for the body line in which its going to be welded into, then place it over the whole and get it centered and out 4 tech screws in to hold it where your going to eventually weld it, then scribe around the edge nice and neat,
    unscrew it, mark 4 spots were ur screw wholes are and make all your cuts along the scribed line using a grinder and tinsnips, leaving 4 little tabs around the screw wholes, get the panel screwed on and trim and excess or whatever to get it to fit flush and neat in the area u just cut, once its all nice u can get your edges lined up and do a a few tacks around it, unscrew your tech screws then from inside the boot, knick the tabs with the cut off wheel so that u can pull them off from inside and the panel will still sit exactly where u tacked it and should be all flush, then u can weld it, not sure how other people do it but i thought that was really smart and decided to share that info with u guys, hes pretty damn switched on for 23 my man jeffree.
    cheers

20. Nice weekend to be in the shed outta the rain and old weather.

21. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

..Sweet looking Shoe Dood ! loving your progress.
    I will stay tuned to this channel.:D

James

22. thanks james, keep checkin in mate
    des

23. Love what you blokes have been doing to the shoebox.
    Must be about time for this weekends update.

24. alright update time,

got a fair bit done, kept weldin the roof up and beatin it as we went,
    got the fuel filler all welded in, i am an amateur oxy welder but Ahrons is awesome at it so he's teaching me as i weld, i can do it alright just got tune up the skills alot more, what better place to learn than on my own custom,
    Ahron is also teachin me to tap up as were doin it which is great,
    anyway, the fuel filler is welded in and got some shape in it, ahron is showing me how to body file it and get it real nice with minimal filler as i want to take it bare metal to chopped, so its gettin there, we also cut and tacked in the caps for the a pillwer and got all the screen sqaured up again, we started doin the drivers door window frame looking at gettin that tacked in soon, sutffed around with the flow on the gutters, its all little shit really but will make for a better car at the end, we still have to work on the other qaurter window this week, its a huge job but everytime is coming more together, tex knocked out a few dents and tapped up as i was weldin, me and ahron welded from the c pillar up to the roof.
    i pretty much got nearly whole car in bare metal with only a little patch required at each fender, the cars is so damn good body wise its gunna look great. anyway check out the pics im stuffed.............

Attached Files:

25. some more, fuel filler still needs some work but it came up really good, would be perfect with a skin of filler but we wanna metal finish it as good as possible so that it looks killer
    fuckin smiley face

Attached Files:

26. sorry about the sideways pics but u get the point'
    des of eldoradoville - so muck

27. Damn it looks so cool in bare metal.
    You boys are doing a nice job and you really hit the jackpot with such a great body.

28. thats a damn nice shoebox, she looks sweet

29. Looks great in bare metal with solid black wheels & whitewalls D.

J168