Register now to get rid of these ads!

shows are starting to cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyford40, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You can disagree with me to all hell and gone, but if you're going to try to tell me it's cool to put on a show, charge people admission, all in the name of profiting personally from it is the same as a charity show, free show, or whatever else, or it's the same as going to the store to buy food, OR paying someone to fix your plumbing when it breaks, I'm going to disagree with you.

2. Choptop

Choptop

you seem to be confusing making a profit with not paying ones bills.

3. Choptop

Choptop

well then you seem to have a special place in your heart that says car shows can only be for charity no matter what. Thats fine. But try to refrain from calling everyone that has ever done so names, cuz without them the hobby wouldnt be here any more.

It just funny that you dont apply the same "logic" to say... a concert put on for charity vs. a concert put on for profit. But hey, lord knows how some peoples minds work, or dont work.

via con dios.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. So let the moderators do their jobs.

IHOP making money by hosting an event is again, different than a guy making money for himself off of his show's attendees. Can't you see the difference here? IHOP makes the same money (probably less in the case of a charity event) the rest of the time when not hosting an event, but the show promoter isn't making jack unless he's making it off the show, right? Goods and services are different than a goddamn car show. As I said, if you want to pay admission to a show to line someone's pocket, knock yourself out. Would you still do it knowing this was where the money is going? I wouldn't. Maybe that's where we're different. I'm not saying someone shouldn't charge for providing something nobody else can, or providing some premium service people can;t find elsewhere, but that's not the case here. You either get it or you don't, there's really nothing more to argue about.

5. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

We don't charge anything for the hot rods selected to be displayed inside the National Guard Armory! In fact, we give these owners a complimentary gift for bringing it to the show. The gate entry is $12 to everyone whether you enter with a '62 or older car or walk in (under 12 FREE). The show is a benefit for developmentally disabled young adults, The Providence Center of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, and has been since it started in 2004. We also inherited another charity, a local chapter of the Knights of Columbus, who help with spectator parking and entry gate. I agree with practically everyone that most of the national shows are getting greedy. Did anyone notice that the pre-entry cost to the Nats East went up this year from $25 to $30? They were also charging $19 for a one-day spectator entry too, OUTRAGEOUS!
    We only raised the entry by $2 when I moved the show from Glen Burnie to Annapolis, Md. due to increased expenses. For the money I don't think you can find a better indoor/outdoor venue for 1 whole day than the Jalopyrama Hot Rod Show in the Annapolis, Maryland National Guard Armory.
    This year's date is October 22, 2011, See ya' there! Thanks, J'Mike (www.jalopyrama.com)

6. Somehow i doubt hot-rodding would be extinct if it were not for the folks making a buck off of car shows........

I don't have any interest in continuing this, pissing you or anyone else off, making enemies, whatever. Agree to disagree, I'll owe you a beer and a conversation for another time.
    Bowing out of this one.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

does the Rolling Stones pay me to come see them?

8. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

I would challange anyone to name any other type of spectator activity that charges those who bring,supply,furnish,loan,build,paint or whatever a fee for bringing,suppling,furnishing,loaning,building,painting or whatever else that are the cause for the spectators to be there in the first place.

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I wish they still had 10 dollar shows down here, havent seen one of those in YEARS....

Hell I enjoy parking lot hangouts with a few fellow hotrodders, or cruise in meets, good times good friends and no plastic trophies awarded for easter egg paint job cars and displays with a jukebox in the back and the drive in tray hanging off the window...

10. Choptop

Choptop

trade show
    racing

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Any of those other events would normally pay you a cash prize to win. :D

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No, not a car guy; you are then the chief "Good Guy".

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They would if they had to pay an 'Artists fee' to perform...Ol' Mick isn't stupid.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you know exactly what I ment

15. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'm pretty sure The American Kennel Club charges you to enter a dog into one of their shows.

Car shows are very expensive to put on, and take a lot of effort, planning, and hard work. I look at the entrance fee as me chipping in with everyone to have a good time, and support the hobby. If there's a little left over and the promoter who spent months of their free time arranging everything, and dealing with all of the red tape gets to put a couple of bucks in his pocket for his efforts, so be it.

Hot Rodding is an expensive hobby, a $20 car show is the cheapest part of it.

16. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

If parking your car on stage would sell out Madison Square Garden at $60 bucks a ticket. . . believe me, someone would pay you to bring your car into that show.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

musta touched a nerve?

hey nothin against the guys running them,(the shows) just the source of the money that runs them..it just seems odd that somewhere it became the guy that built the art, is having to pay to show it.

or is it pile on me night?:p

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread is kind of stupid... So, I'm closing it.

That said, I've always felt weird charging cars to be part of my car shows. They are, after all, the draw... Even so, I wouldn't be able to do a car show if I didn't charge the cars as it would simply cost me too much money.

At the end of the day, you are charging for vanity. And yeah, that's a weird way to look at it but it is true... and whether you admit that to yourself or not, you are paying for it. What are you paying for?

19. So where is this great big charity car show you organize by yourself for free?

Running a car show is a service where one provides a form of entertainment to the general public; it has expenses (venue rent, liability insurance, DJs or bands, extra helpers) and it's a gamble since you lay out that money before you recieve much back. There's no reason a guy or the host car club shouldn't get something for his/their time. Otherwise why bother? Now if they want to donate that money to a charity, or use it to wipe their ass, is up to them, it's none of our business.

I'll never understand this commie pinko aversion to profit so many people seem to have. See, I have to eat and pay taxes and all that other crap, which means I need money, which means I have to make money, which means when I do something I need to profit from it. So unless you want to pay my light bill and my tax bill and my car insurance and registration... shut up already. Especially when you can't tell the difference between one crook who didn't want to pay his bills and an honest businessman. Of which there are plenty. You want to live like a commie then move to China, the rest of us aren't interested in that crap because it doesn't work.

20. Know just what you mean. But I put on a Hot Rod show this past weekend with NO ENTRY FEE. NO TROPHYS. Passed out lot's of flyers, made lot's of phone calls and only had around 50 hot rods show up. We had a live band with a street dance and the local fire dept. set up a beer garden. So what the hell.....They don't know what they missed. At least 50 hot rod owners had a blast.

21. Das vitanya, comrade rustynewyorker. i spoke my piece.

22. Weasel

Weasel

For me it is less about vanity and more about hanging and meeting with like minded folks....

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with the gent who answered directly below you. Because of the swap meet and vendor fees and don't they charge for the "other" cars that sit over in the "vip" non finished roadster section??

A lot of clubs an organizations could cut the cost of the entry fees if they cut out a few expenses that cause them to run up the costs on things that most car people don't care much about.
    Things like high dollar door prizes that most guys don't give a rip about. One club up here gives an engine away every year that probably runs the cost up at least 10 bucks a car but they won't consider not giving the engine away and lowering the entry fee. They draw between 150 and 200 cars.
    Another club does give back though. They hand out envelopes of cash as door prizes at the awards instead of stuff collected in town and probably give back half the gate to the participants 20 or 50 bucks at a time.

Still I go for the quality of the event and the people and vehicles that are there and will pass on a free or cheap event to go to a better one that I have to pay a higher entry fee at just because it is a better event.

24. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

I agree with Ryan
    Are we done now

25. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The two shows I'm talking about, The public gets in free. We pay $20 to show our cars. something is wrong with this picture

26. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

A local car show that makes all the mags. takes the money and pays for the club members vacation in Hawaii. Now thats wrong.

27. Hey this is fun to read. How some people don't want to spend 20 bucks to go to a show that somebody spent all year planning and researching insuraning handing out fylers to promote it but the people that don't want to spend the 20 bucks probably smoke 2 packs a day and drink at least 4 cups of coffee too amounting to more then 20 bucks a day. I go to a lot of show and I don't like the thery to pay to hang out with your friends. But if somebody wants to spend there time to promote a good show I will pay it.
    I wonder if these people would ever volunteer to do something at a show like help park cars they would probably want to get payed
    I myself like the shows cause the drinking the woman and oh the cars and friends
    Too. Just my 2 cents

28. i have car shows at my shop every day....opened for every one..FREE ...JUST STOP BY...every day is a different show...

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

So???

If somebody wants to spend their money on coffee and cigarettes than thats their decission.

We all spend our money on whatever we think is important.

I like cars, carparts, and tools to work on those cars.

I dont spend a lot on carshows....

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

I quit taking my stuff to shows along time ago .I got burned out not so much by the expense but by the snob ass high rollers .If you really want to see expense get into Nostalgia drag racing or any racing for that matter.Fuel ,up keep on the car ,etc., gets pricey real quick but alot more fun than car shows IMO ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.