Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Whale-Tail,

Your 1960 Plymouth experts.
    Bob Kammer
    Dayton, Ohio
    1960 Plymouth Belvedere
    car weight; 3339 lbs.
    'Weekend Warrior'
    361/310 HP 'Sonoramic Commando'/dual-quad
    paint color; orange
    wt/hp = 10.77
    1967 class; C/SA (wt/hp 10.60 - 11.29)
    E.T Times; 13.30's @ 103 mph
    w/stock converter

1967 National Record
    13.11 = E.T.
    107.07 = MPH
    pc

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Check your PM and I'll tell ya.

Pete :)

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Something with lots of torque! :)

Yes, I noticed those unusual looking Magnum 500's; they look like the wheels Buick used on their cars however, they're not interchangeable with Chrysler products of that era due to the 1/2" difference in wheel bolt pattern spacing. Maybe they were redrilled?

Paul, that's the first time I saw a photo of this Knoblock Dodge or even heard about any race car(s) sponsored by this dealership. As I was growing up, I used to visit my cousins in South River, NJ virtually every weekend, and on the way there we'd pass by Knoblock Dodge, therefore my interest.

Pete

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I had that problem--bad--once upon a time in 1979 when I installed a 750 cfm Carter AVS carb on my 1970 383-powered, 4-speed Roadrunner with 3.23 gears. The engine originally came from the factory with a Holley carb but the auto parts store I went to didn't have a replacement unit. I needed to get the car on the road a.s.a.p. as it was my only means of transportation. The parts guy looked around and found a 750 cfm Carter AVS* carb in stock, and somehow or other, a new Carter carburetor vs. a rebuilt one had been placed in the box. The fact that a new carburetor for the price of a rebuilt one (and a larger one too, i.e., 750 cfm vs. 585 cfm) is what motivated me to go with the larger, though 'incorrect', carb.

Anyway, my Roadrunner would bog instantly if I tried to accelerate in a normal fashion. What I'd have to do is accelerate slowly from a stop else the car would fall flat on its face then instantly pick up. This problem drove me NUTS 'til I found out about the secondary air valve adjustment, and presto, problem solved.

Pete

*For 1970 440/375 hp engine.

5. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Pete,
    Aren't those the factory type magnum 500's used by Mopar/Ford from late 60's?
    I thought the magnum 500 wheels were a factory wheel for Roadrunners .... as well as the late 60's Mustangs. :confused:

oops, I think your saying those look like Buick style INSTEAD of Mopar/Ford.:eek:

Eddie

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Eddie,

On second look, they're not Buick wheels on that 1960 Plymouth Stocker but certainly do come closest appearance-wise with their concave spokes.

[​IMG]

And for sure they are not the style of Magnum 500 rims that were installed by the factory (and dealerships) on mid-late-1960s/very early-1970s performance Mopars.

[​IMG]

Pete

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Lookin' good...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Rich Panicaro photos)

Pete

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Whoa...check out the length of the collector on this Poncho! It has got to be the longest ever! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's with the missing headlight? Part of some trick ram air set up? :) How the heck did he pass tech??

Pete

11. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I watched that car whack the wall trying to shut down at Old Bridge Speedway (1/16th mile drags). It was brand new,not even lettered yet.
    [​IMG]

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Oh really? Wow...

Pete

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some more Ponchos....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some Mopars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

And of course, some Chevys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

More Chevys...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

And one lone AMC Hurst SC/rambler...

[​IMG]

Pete

18. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Perfect timing for the pictures Pete!

At work and and just came upstairs in the office(shouldn't really be up here) to eat my sandwich at lunch and OH YEAH!:D _____New Pics!!

Eddie

19. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Post #9794
    The 65' Plymouth Barracuda 'CROC'
    273/235 HP
    Class K/SA (12.50 - 12.99 wt/hp)
    Then its from 1969.

14.50's should have been good enough for a Class trophy at the local track.
    To be competitive in $tock Eliminator,,,,,,,13.80's should get you their.

20. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I'm awaiting a second opinion but I believe that picture is Bob Davis' car being driven by Ron Mandella at Fontana. Bob's car was a factory big-block, four speed car. It was converted from that configuration to that of AA/FC over the course of a winter. There have been numerous shots posted on H.A.M.B. that show it gutted and powered by a blown big block later in its life. Bob and Ron had a lot of fun during the summer of 1965, match racing the "Giant" against Ron's A/SA station wagon. A year later found Ron driving the Shore's and Hess AA/GS Anglia and Bob racing the "Giant" as a funny car. As far as the missing headlight goes, at Fontana in those days, it would have been a minor issue. Fontana became an A.H.R.A. track with promotions by Mickey Thompson during this era.

21. Master09

Master09
    from Miami

What a beauty

22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Note the black/yellow dealer plates plus the window sticker on the driver's side of the car. it didn't take long for this gem to meet its true destiny. Those details make me wonder if Bob wasn't a salesman at that dealership? I knew Bob slightly but I never knew where he worked.

c

23. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Is it me, or does it semm like many of the 'west coast' cars utilized
    Jardine Headers..

And Stahl Headers on the 'east coast'.

pc

24. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Another shot of the strickler-jenkins car posted previously:
    Hrm-january,1962-nhra regional drags-york,pennsylvania feature-car has hood scoop mentioned earlier-and lettered "sound by miles"-any info on "miles".;)

Attached Files:

25. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

This is the best!!-larry schneider and daughter tonya with their jr. Stock 57 chevy sd car at island-tonya first time behind the wheel....went 12's....go girl go!:d

Attached Files:

• s2.bmp
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    • s1.bmp
      File size:
      100.1 KB
      Views:
    • s3.bmp
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
  26. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Try pix again of tonya schneider and jr stocker

Attached Files:

• s2.bmp
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    • s3.bmp
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • s1.bmp
      File size:
      100.1 KB
      Views:
  27. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Boy! You guys are the greatest! First of all, thanks for the tidbits on what you think my problem might be. I kinda agree that it is somewhat fuel related. I do have two pumps (electric in the rear and stock mechanical in the front) and I think the pressure is adequate, but I'm wondering about VOLUME. Some of the fuel line is original ("ouch") and quite small and therein lies a problem of it's own. That was supposed to be a LAST winter project that I never addressed. My friend who did the Q-Jet has an Olds running 10.20s with a Q-Jet and a stick, but I don't know what all he did to it---he was at the track and said he wanted to go through it again. As for my questioning the ignition advance-- according to the timing light it seemed that full advance didn't come in until almost 4500-5000rpm. We changed the springs at the track to the only other set that we had there and the "dead spot" seemed to go away ever so slightly. I drove to a somewhat secluded area at the far end of the spectator side and "cracked it" from a slow roll and the car felt VERY strong---the only time I experienced the "lag" was from the launch. Actually, I think I have TWO issues here---fuel AND ignition---both are close but need some fine tuning. And, finally second, A BIG THANKS for posting the pics from the race. I wish whoever took and posted them would've stopped and introduced themselves. Thanks again everybody. Until next time..... Dave.

28. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Agreed .

29. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Paul,

I believe that, particularly in the early days (1959-1964), racers were more regional in their focus. Jardine was in Garden Grove, California. Don Nicholson used Jardine (at least in the 409 and early FE Ford days). Racers in California were mostly interested in outrunning Don Nicholson so Jardine must have seemed like a logical choice when they went shopping for headers. Over the next ten years there were many local options for headers. Doug Thorley was conveniently located in E. Los Angeles, Belanger Brothers, S & S, Hooker and others were frequently seen on fast cars at our tracks.

Ron Mandella's 1963 Stage I Plymouth Belvedere wagon was delivered with Horsepower Engineering fenderwell headers. Horsepower Engineering was located in Pasadena only a stone's throw from Milne Brothers. Many of the fast Mopars in seen at Lions, San Gabriel, and San Fernando used Horsepower Engineering headers in the early days.

Fast-forward to the late 60s and new faces had emerged on the track and in the manufacturing world. We began to read about Stahl Headers. More racers were beginning to travel. The decals began to pay dividends. Factories were producing fleets of fast cars and recommended the names of aftermarket sources that produced the best dyno figures. Manufacturers began to advertise nationally.

To me, it feels like a natural progression of a growing industry but particularly an industry that was feeding on steroids and growing exponentially.

c

30. Bigcam

Bigcam
    from York, Pa.

"Sound by Miles" that would be Miles Muffler Shop which used to do all the exhaust work in the York, Pa. area. Still in business today!!!!