Register now to get rid of these ads!

NOS Edmunds Heads. Should I use them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jun 14, 2011.

?
  1. Dont use them, their only NOS once

14 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Use them! Their hot rod parts and should be on a hot rod!

116 vote(s)
    78.4%
  3. Sell everything and buy a chevy crate motor

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Allright heres the deal. Right now I have a set of old Offenhauser heads on my roadster. A few months back number 1 plug hole stripped out. I put a heli-coil in it, and this weekend the heli coil stripped out of the heads. I was thinking of fixing them again, but then I remembered the Edmunds heads I have.
    They are NOS polished heads, still in the original box, with all the Edmumds paper work still in the box.
    I originally bought these to use on my car, but everyone I know was giving me a hard time about it, because they are NOS only once, and still in the box, so I used the offy heads instead.
    So what would you guys do?
    Part of me hates to use them and take the NOS away from them, but another part of me says their suppose to used, and having them sit in a box is no good to anyone either.
    :confused::confused::confused:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sell them and buy two good used pairs. Maybe three.

3. That thought also crossed my mind, but I would like to have the car on the road again for the drags this weekend. If it was winter time, it wouldnt be a problem, but here in Alberta our hot rod season is only about 4 months. I just got the car on the road in April after a year and half build, I want to drive it!

hotcoupe likes this.
  4. Bolt em on the damm car....keep the paperwork in a binder with a picture if need be...and drive the damm wheels off it...

5. Unless you are starting a museum,..... I'd bolt them on the engine.

6. Little Terry

Little Terry

If you have plenty of money then bolt them on. I would probably sell them and buy another cheaper pair and pocket the difference.

7. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

If I owned them I would bolt them on and enjoy the car.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If they are polished doesn't that mean they sort of lose that NOS tag? Did they come from Edmunds polished?

Anyways, I'd run them. Unless they are going to a museum what's the point of having them if they aren't going to be used some day.

9. mr.happy

mr.happy
    from tennessee

I would use em its what they are made for. I would keep the box and paperwork.

10. I don't know if they were polished by Edmunds, or if someone polished them later on.

The more I've been thinking about, and reading your guys post, I think I'm going to use them.
    It's the "period correct" thing to do haha. If it was 1954 and I bought some new heads, they would be on the car and the original box and paperwork would be in the dumpster! I may not go as far as tossing the box and paperwork, but I do think the heads will be bolted on.

11. williebill

williebill

What do you think they're worth? If you're gonna keep the car for a while,I'd use them..If you are likely to sell the car anytime soon,I'd hang on to them,or sell them.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like NOS stuff in the box with paperwork. I put in a bid on an EMPTY BOX for one of my pre-war Wyandotte toy cars, the bidding went to $130.00. needless to say, I did not get it.

I just watched a fairly common Wyandotte toy car in the box sell for $1200.00. even in very good condition these would never go over $300.00 with out the box and accessories.

I don't collect flathead parts, but I'm sure something like those heads in the box would fetch a good bit of change. if you were to put them on the car it would be the same as tossing $100 dollar bills out the window.

I could see using a common NOS part on a car, but I heve never even heard of an NOS set of heads in the box like that. how many are left?

buy these instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1938...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  13. OK I picked sell everything and by a Chevy Crate motor. But I was just screwin' with ya.

Hell yes use the NOS heads. You used the Offy heads because the other heads are NOS now the Offy heads have let you down. You do catch my drift right?

You have a brand new in the box pair of heads, those would no doubt be your best bet. Unless you own a museum whay would it matter to you if you still have them new in the box. Take a picture to show everyone when they see your car you're golden.

14. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I would sell the NOS heads, fix the ones you got, use the loot for the next project or whatever else tickles your fancy.....

15. F&J

F&J

I am pretty sure all of Edmunds stuff was highly polished; the intakes for inlines and overheads were polished.

16. spot

spot
    from usa

use 'em. what good are they in a box?

17. Use them!!!! Hang the old heads on the wall.

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Use them! Save all of the paperwork & box for the 'future'. I have a certain speed part that I have been offered a bunch of 'mortgage payments' for and there is no way that I would sell it. It is collecting dust for a FUTURE project, but "it's" one of a kind & I will never find another. Heck, maybe my 2 year old kid might use it when he gets older. He did say the word "hot rod" the other day while looking at my Bonneville calendar.

Chris

19. A good machine shop could weld up the offy head and redrill the plug hole and have them ready for you by the weekend. Wouldn't have to use/sell the NOS heads and you wouldn't have to retune for a possibly different compression ratio.

20. Crestoloy

Crestoloy

Fix the offy heads. Those Edmunds heads will be worth a lot to the right person.

21. I have an NOS Hurst mount box, original paperwork, spacers the whole 27 feet. I intend to use it and hang the box etc on the shop wall.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I wouldnt use them till i absolutely had to.

23. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

inquiring minds want to know:D

24. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Ouch! Haha.......yea, yea.....Thank goodness that Ryan P. is back on the east coast........that kid keeps teasing me with parts.

Chris

25. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I agree with the others that have said it; sell them to someone that cares that they are NOS and use the money to buy a set that are used. Then spend the rest on hookers and blow, obviously.

26. Greezy

Greezy

Fix the Offy. Should be a quick and easy fix for a decent shop. And save those heads for that really special project, that is of course unless thats what your driving. Did that help?

27. Wondering why nobody made you an offer yet?
    Or maybe you find someone that wants to trade. This way you'd have something to bolt on your motor right away.

28. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Let's see some picks of your heads. If running them would really float your boat, and you cannot invision any other heads on the car, then bolt them up. If you would be just as happy with another set of heads and some fresh cheddar in your pocket,then sell them to someone who will appreciate their NOS status. Your heads,your choice. Nice problem to have by the way.

29. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Don't use them. Sell them to someone for a dollar amount with lots of zeros. Fix the Offys or find a used set. Pocket the difference. Pay some bills. Buy beer. Next...

30. I would make a phone call to Bill Smith (Speedy) in Lincoln NE and ask him about the NOS heads. If they are worth a lot, sell them, he will tell you about them (he may want them for a display engine). If not, use them, weld up the spark plug hole in the other head and redrill it, blast the heads and have them as your back-up heads if someone wants the NOS heads in the box (slightly used). Win-Win