Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 chev 216 overheating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cp sizemore, Jun 9, 2011.

1. cp sizemore

cp sizemore

my 50 hardtop was runnin good. took it to muffler shop to get single exhaust muff and tailpipe.on way home , hardly would start ,ran like crap,overheated , had no power to get up the smallgrade ,then stalled.coolant came out of overflow..radiater was full prior to startin out. now car will hardly start or stay running.can a fellow hamber help me out with your expert advice? I"M NEW TO THIS.THANKS,C.P.

2. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Sounds like t-stat is stuck shut. CHECK THE EASIEST STUFF TO FIX FIRST!

3. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

this might sound stupid, but could they have restricted or closed the exhaust off, maybe go behind the car and put yer hand by the exhaust pipe-see if there is anything coming out. If everything is restricted and no exhaust coming out it would kill the motor and possibly overheat it...

4. Cub8556

Cub8556

A rule to live by

5. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

also check the flapper valve on the stock exhaust manifold, it could be stuck shut!!!

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

Vac line knocked off the intake manifold. Little vac leak and no vac advance=hard start no power run hot. Easy to check.

7. cp sizemore

cp sizemore

Checked manifold heat valve.cant move the balance weight.should'nt it pivot on the shaft opposite the thermostatic spring?

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yeah, it should be floppy. the weight should go up and down easily. Unless the butterfly plate was removed and the shaft left in.

I think up on the weight is closed and down open. Or not?

9. cp sizemore

cp sizemore

IT'S FROZEN SOLID.shaft wont budge. is there an easy way to free it up without removing ex. manifold?WHAT DO U SUGGEST?I'VE ALREADY SPRAYED IT WITH RUST BLASTER.

10. cp sizemore

cp sizemore

have only owned it 7 months.just started running bad after muffler install.heat risor appears to be frozen for years.what do i need to do guy's?