Register now to get rid of these ads!

shows are starting to cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyford40, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The typical parking lot Mickey Mouse one day show is asking $20.00 to show your car. When is it to much?

2. terry48435

terry48435

I quit doing the shows where you have to pay unless the money is going to a needy cause.

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

agree.........I only go if ALL the money goes to a good charity

4. I figure I put all the money and hard labor into my car, they oughta pay me to see it!!

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

At ten or fifteen I would think they would get more cars. It's not like it cost more money per car to put the show on.

6. Fenders

Fenders

I should have to pay people to look at my car?

7. Its already too much for me. I haven't paid to go to a show in over a year.$20 a pop for these may not be much for some well off people but it would cut in to my food bill if I did it for every show coming up. I think $10 is max for me. That way they would get more participating and make more money and I could maybe afford more of it.

8. Yip I agree, I rekon the orginisers should be thankful of you bringing your rides along for the public to look at, without the support of us rodders bringing along our cars there would be no show.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Unfortunately a sign of the times.....greed is getting into everything..
    On the opposite end.....I am going to a car show this Wednesday at the annual pork dinner sponsored by the County, which also has a classic car show...
    AND if you bring your car, you get a free pork chop dinner.....(and no entry fee either!!)
    Cheers..........

10. slammed49

slammed49

I totally agree with that...I rather drop the $$$ in my tank and drive my truck!

11. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

$10 is the max for me - after that its getting into my beer money !!! And it must be for a charity or good fund raiser.

Last friday night a local seniors home had a cruise-in in the parking lot for the seniors to come out look at stuff they used to drive - we had a blast listening to all the stories. And the staff provided all the car people with hotdogs, drinks and ice-cream to show their appreciation.

12. Costs them more to put on the show, just like everything else, your dollar isn't worth what it was even last year.

13. jamn47

jamn47

Not that I attend them. But if I was going to pay, it better be for the benefit of a wounded or fallen soldier, or their family. Not for some idiot to give out trophies made in China. Just so some moron with his feather duster can go brag to his no-nothing buddies how cool his piece of crap is. I'd like to stick the trophy up his A$$.

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Last week we went to a show and on the flyer it sayed $5.oo. But at the gate we were told $20.00. They sayed it was a misprint. Now this weekend there is a show I have gone to for the last 5 years at $10 now it's $20.00 I'm having second thoughts.

15. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The parking lot shows don't cost them per car

16. don daddyo

don daddyo

I've quit awhile ago,...Love show show the car in the street,and to some friends place to party...YEAH!!!

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ditto that!:D

18. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I didn't think it was about the "shows", I thought it was about our love of the cars. I know it still is for me, the drive, the getting there and it was never about the trophy!

19. yardgoat

yardgoat

x 1,000,000.99 Most car shows ive seen and collect money for there cause ,dont care they want money and pat them selvels on the back for a job well done on getting us more money.

20. jamn47

jamn47

I had a show the other day. I went to load up my truck with lumber at Lowes and when I came out six guys were standing around saying " we waited for you to come out because that cam you have is hellacious." I didn't even have to pay them, and they never made a comment about my shitty primer job. HAHA!

Attached Files:

21. OldCrow

OldCrow

I've put thousands of dollars and hours into each of my cars, and now they want me to pay people to look at it?? BULL. and I don't care if it is for a "good cause".
    I try to understand the thinking of the promotors in that most of the shows are in a park, parking lot, or other open area that's very difficult to control from a "pay to enter" standpoint. I guess they figure the car owners are easier to snag, so they just give us the bill for the show as well. I park on the street and go see the show for free + other lookers can check out my car for free if they want to.
    One local show in particular is in doors and pays for car owners to enter (by invitation only). they also feed you and provide amenities. the public pays 15 or 20 to get in, and I've gladly paid, along with a few thousasnd other folks, to see some of the top cars in the area at that show. everybody goes home happy.

Russ

22. i did one with 4400 miles round trip, can only do 1 long distance one a month
    then when i am broke find the closest free one and we have some , some have prizes and dashplaks too paid for by merchants
    but sometimes i travel for good swap meets and people that have helped me out
    but dont like being raped to pay for someons overpriced fundraiser, paying for the travel , and getting your brains baked out, they were eliminated quickly from my schedule

many shows in this area furnish all your meals which i find to be a big plus:D a free lunch will bribe me into mostly anything

23. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Since we and our cars are the show, let us in free. Make the spectators (only) pay and I'll start going again.

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd rather pay for a good show with alot of cars to look at than go to local shows or cruise ins and see the same old cars.......

25. clockwork31

clockwork31

Sometimes that money you pay for shows is use to pay musicians if there's band playing, sound technician, place rental, sanitary equipment, ads, promoting (newspaper, posters etc) there is nothing free these days. It Always depends what kind of show it is and also the size of the show... 20$ seems to be a bit expensive though... If it's a well organize show I don't mind paying a few bucks, after all, shows is part of what keep our hobby alive.

I woudn't pay a buck for the typical parking lot meet though...

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

CA registrations are going up in july....I pay for 7 cars. FWUK

27. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Same old lyrics, same old song...how many times can you beat a dead horse...???

R-

29. blt2go

blt2go

HOOKER CAR SHOW SEPT. 10TH 2011 is twenty bucks but you get a dash plaque, t shirt, and free meal. plus about a one in four chance at walking away with 100 bucks cash or equivilent piece of shop equipment. we don't feel we are fleecing the entrants, as they are the only ones with a chance to win the prizes that the entrant fees pay for. last year we had about 200 entrants and gave away 10,000 dollars in cash and prizes. that averages 50 dollars per entrant; so in theory we're paying you 30 bucks to bring your car and have a great time with like minded people. then the swag is just icing. as clockwork said we pay for entertainment, toilets for your use and food vendors to keep you fat and happy along with some great kids activities. our main street venue also allows for some light shopping for the ladies.

30. Putting on a show costs money. permits=$$, sani-cans=$$,dash plaques=$$,T-shirts=$$, INSURANCE TO PAY YOU CAUSE SOME DRUNK SCRATCHED YOUR RIDE!=$$$$$$$$$. $20.00 is nothing when you consider how much it really costs to put on ANY kind of event.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.