Register now to get rid of these ads!

headlight wiring question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprodz, Jun 13, 2011.

1. choprodz

choprodz

Im getting ready to wire up lights on my Thames. It has the old headlight buckets that have a ground wire grounded inside the bucket. I have fiberglass fenderes, will the ground wire in the light bucket work as a usable ground???? Thanks, Rob

2. George/Maine

George/Maine

I just a problem like that ,and run another wire back to ground to frame or body.

3. Take the time to run a ground wire to a known chassis ground. Otherwise you won't have lights because fiberglass is a better insulator than a ground. Don't count on any metal structure inside the glass as being a ground either.
    It can be done neatly if you take the time. I ran ground wires for my headlights while using Ford headlight buckets and metal headlight bar. Paint will act like an insulator also.

4. choprodz

choprodz

Thanks for the help! Kinda what I thought. Its nice to have a little back up on here. Thanks again!!!! Rob

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No steel fender braces to ground to there?

6. choprodz

choprodz

Ok, I just ran my wires and found a good ground. Is it safe to just hook the headlight wire to the positive on the battery to check them??? Also, Does the hot wire go in the a and out of the b side of the light switch to the lights??? Thanks, Rob

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Do yourself a favor, and run a relay.

8. Butch11443

Butch11443

Do yourself another favor and have a fuse in the circuit. Batteries melt wires.
    Butch

9. If we're going to help you with light switch wiring, you'll need to show us what you're using. As noted, fuses are very important on the positive side and using a relay being switched from the light switch will lead to longer life of switch contacts.
    Seems like I need to make a run up I-57 to visit my dad too.