Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Pickers just picked my buddy! On tonight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29sportcoupe, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

So my original post was closed. The episode is on tonight where they go to Maricopa and pick my buddys stuff. They go to the Raceway Bar and Grill just south of maricopa in hidden valley. I will be there to watch tonight. They buy a 48 Airstream and a bunch of other crap we all wish we had. My 61 Corvette drag car and my 74 Harley X90 mini bike are in the building but not sure they get on camera. Everything they buy is on topic crap. Might want to put down the tools for an hour and watch one of our own gear heads embarass himself on national tv!

2. dadseh

dadseh

so , ... to get the 15 minutes of fame his name is, Bubba.....???

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never seen the show but don't they buy for resale?

If they knocked on my door I'd send them away empty handed.

4. dadseh

dadseh

Yeah , they offer you 50 % on THEIR resale price, seems fair to me considering YOU asked them to show up!! You want to sell or what??

5. rgaller

rgaller

Heaven forbid someone buys something and resells it.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

duh... heaven forbid I spend the time and effort and gas to gather up all my items to sell and don't get maximum $$$ for every piece. takes too much time to gather up inventory to sell it for less than top dollar.

American Pickers would not like my prices.

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I dont think they look for guys like me or you, they look for the old guy with a barn full of junk that hasnt seen the light of day for 40+ years.

8. shadams

shadams

Nothing wrong with that, you are just selling to the people they are selling to rather then than them. I am with you there....

But if I had a garage full of shiz that I needed to move, bring on the pickers!

9. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

They look for the same people we ALL look for!
    The guy who has a bunch of cool stuff no one has picked over, and they don't know the value of, so they sell it cheap!
    The Pickers guys aren't usually buying for themselves though, they say it themselves: "We're looking for anything we think we can make a buck on!"
    The show has been on long enough now, that they'll burn up the deals sooner or later, because there can't be THAT many people who don't know about them by now!!
    They'll end up doing to antiques/collectibles what B-J did to muscle cars!

10. Never2low

Never2low

Already happening. Been to too many swaps were guys have astronomicle prices on old signs and advertising. Ask them and you get; "one sold for more than that on that pickers show, and mine is in way better shape"

11. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

They have already affected the pricing of stuff. Try and buy an old sign nowadays. Especially oil items.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Honestly, it should have the exact opposite effect. They always buy NOS signs for $15 that would sell around here for $1200. I call BS.

13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Problem is, they always have to add the part about how much they SELL it for too! :)
    I wonder how over inflated their auction prices get because people can brag they "bought it from the guys from American Pickers!"

14. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Danielle can come to my house anytime and pick. She can leave the guys at home.

Attached Files:

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wonder how many people laugh in thier face and tell them to get the fuck out when they make thier offer.

that's the show I'd like to see.

16. Hoodlum Rocky

Hoodlum Rocky

I agree on the price thing on the signs, i always bitch and say i wish i could buy it for what they do, and when they say they are going to sell it for double price. BS the price is usually way low for what i see them bringing. I also love to watch for Danielle!! She can come pick me!

17. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Pretty soon only very wealthy people will be able to afford anything that is old and cool since the masses that never cared about that stuff now want it 'cause they saw it on TV.

18. I enjoy watching the show, but they wouldn't want to pay my prices either. I don't want top dollar, but I'm not giving my stuff away. If I did that, I'd give it to my friends or to a charity. Just my .02 zincolns
    Scot

19. I could have bought a gas station sign a couple weeks ago for $20. Atlantic sign saying the price was like 33 cents a gallon. needed to be straightened out a bit. I passed on it because I had a full load on and no place to carry it.

I would like to see them try to pick one of my buddies, though. He has all sorts of stuff, radios, toys, signs, and cars. Might be funny to watch them try to get a deal.

20. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

WORD! She isn't that great but still... I'm a man. :D

[​IMG]

21. WTF! It's TV. Who cares it's more bullshit but I enjoy it anyway. Or would you rather watch dacing with the stars?

22. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

won't happen. Stuff like old gas pumps and giant signs were already expensive, the market on this type of stuff had already been established prior to American Pickers. Going through an old barn and scoring some old ice chest or motorcycle is no different than scoring a old car body out of some field. A lot of stuff (not all) was sitting and rotting before these guys came along. How many of us got a killer deal on something and then turned around and almost doubled their money?

A few months ago I found a '29 coupe body in a farmhouse garage for $200. It's not my fault, the guy was stoked to get $200 for it and I was glad to pay $200. He said it was yard art....was I supposed to take the time to explain to the guy that it's not yard art, that it's still in killer shape? That's what the American Picker guys do, they buy up stuff that's otherwise sitting and rotting. I hated the show for awhile because I was jealous that I didn't score any of it :D

23. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Why.. So.. Serious?

24. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

ha ha ha! that's funny as hell and I agree with YOU

25. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

Oh and congrats to your buddy!! did he call them or did they just show up? I'll watch tonight!!

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not much into the show personally, or any TV for that matter, but I always get a bit of a different visual when I hear the name of that show for some reason.

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i enjoy the show,,,i like looking at other peoples crap...

28. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

That's just weird. :D

29. You and I both!:rolleyes:

30. :D :D :D what he said !
    They don't do anymore $$$ damage to collecting, antiques, car parts, old stuff, collectibles, etc. than eBay, Antiques Roadshow, Barrett-Jackson or Pawn Stars and besides Danielle is way better than any female you will see on those last three ;) !
    I will be watching tonight :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.