Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do the neighbors think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, May 29, 2011.

1. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I don't have any neighbors close enough to worry about, 8 acres and the new shop is in the middle of it and basically no neighbors anywhere close enough to hear any of the grinding and banging.

2. I wish I had property in the country to do as I pleased!

My neighborhood is in an older / historic part of the city. All the homes were built between the mid 1920s-early 1930s so the homes are real close together - so if it's going to be an early morning start I'll make it a point to tell them the night before.Also if I'm coming home late I try to give them a warning prior to me leaving that day. The neighbors on both sides of me are great, now the lady across the street who's older than dirt always has something to complain about. When we moved in all the neighbors came over to see the cars. I let them know about my hobby right off the bat to stop any issues before they could start.

The old bat across the street called the police saying I was playin' loud music and told the police I was running a business out of the house so one night at 7 pm the police showed up --- this wasn't even the case. I was simply re packing wheel bearings. No radio at all - and the compressor wasn't even turned on!! Plus the three cars in the driveway all belong to me. Long story short I found out she's renting that house, got ahold of her land lords # and told him about her false accusations. That was 2 weeks ago. Haven't seeing or heard from her since!

3. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Lived on Coronado Island with ex girlfriend. Got the cops called on me all the time. I would wear t shirt and Dickies covered in dirt and grease while everyone else wore beach clothes or jogging suits. I was given a choice to leave and I made it good. Now my new neighbors are bikers and musicians and we all make noise so its all good now. The kids in the Neighbor hood love the cars and bikes.

4. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

across the street and next door love it and usually take advantage of it. they have me fix their cars,bikes, lawnmowers, just bout everything.they are always supportive about the trucks. and always like me to tell them tuff. so i guess they like it. across to the left always gives me parts though, so i guess he likes it to.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Be nice to the neighbors, and they won't report you "code enforcement".... 4TTRUK

6. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

i run a small body shop at my rural home, usualy most of the night its just a hobby as i have a day job. i do small repairs for for the old people and kids around here usualy for free or a six pack. i couuld'nt do anything wrong if i had to, love it here :)

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. I make it a point to have any compressor/grinder/chopsaw/noisy stuff done by 10 PM (if I'm awake at that hour, I get up @ 4AM for work, so, usually, 8PM is beddy-bye for me)
    Most of my neighbors are really great about the car stuff, as long as I try tio maintain peace and quiet during "normal" hours. They also know that if they hear me making noise later than 10 PM, it's some sort of emergency, or something that cannot wait until the next day. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened, and they have been cool with it. if I am going to have to fire up the cars and depart the garage either late at night or early in the morning for a car show or something, I usually tell them in advance, so they can get their earplugs in, or whatever they need to do.
    Except for one glaring exception (which, of course, naturally, is the neighbors right next to me) we have a great 'hood. The guy 7 or 8 houses down on the other side of the street, has a black flamed 40 Ford Tudor with a SBC he built in 1977, a 31 A Tudor Sedan street rod almost ready for paint, and his son has a 47 Ford Fordor, a 53 Chevy truck, and a "Rodent Rod" comprised of all kinds of castoff parts from his dad, and other folks...

8. cakes

cakes

they care, well the renters next door do, so fuck em, they will be gone in 4 months anyway. There isnt anyone behind me or across from me, The guy that lives next door is a single cop who works the night shift. I usually cut out the loud stuff before midnight anyway

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Never had a problem with my neighbors because I try not to break it off and am always willing to help with their mechanical problems. I don't want them bothering me and I try to do the same. What goes around comes around.

10. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

I live in a 1950's sub division and the houses are close together.

One time I was priming some parts in my garage when my next door neighbor came over and asked me what I was doing (Dupont is stinky stuff). I told him I was doing some painting and I was sorry for the smell and that I was almost done. He said don't worry about it and thats what the trees are for (there are trees on our property line).

I have spent many weekends cutting, welding and grinding in my driveway. Never had any comments, but I have a strict policy about a 5pm happy hour requirement. I also don't drink and grind.

11. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I don't have any neighbors, well at least that I can see. There used to be a 92 year old lady across the street but she is now in a home after she broke her leg. I did the neighborly thing and brought her in to the hospital. She was really hard of hearing so I didn't have to worry much about being noisy. I'm hoping her house doesn't get rented out as it's right across from my driveway. The nearest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away down a very long driveway. They are private people so I hardly see them. My place looks like crap and there is a ton of cars everywhere so there is plenty to complain about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing behind me except hay fields, fine by me.

12. My folks live in a 'Historic District' filled with snooty folks who get all uptight if you paint your house 'the wrong color' let alone making noise at 2am, so to get around any potential issues, my Dad has all of his noisier tools in his 1200+ Sq. foot basement shop, complete with a large walkout set of steps and double doors to get large parts in and out easily...he even has A/C and 220 down there.

13. Muttley

Muttley

14. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Had some problems when the " New People " started building there big fancy homes by the river. I herd they made some comments about how the inside of my garage was so messy I should close my door,,,,,,,,,,,:confused:.
    I thought,, good. I was looking at moving all my rusty model A and T crap out side for more room anyway. Let it Set there till the city got on me and gave me my verbal notice. The city knows better about righting me up from back in my drinking days,,,, Thats another story.
    It's not there fault,, There new home owners in a new place with new bushes and allot of pretty flowers and nothing better to do than water them.
    That was 20 years ago,, They came around. Now I got a new guy that moved in across the street that frickin knows everything,,,, Holy Crap man,,,, Now I need to put a fence up to keep him out,,,, Or better yet, Buy him a fence and keep him in. Oh well,,,, Life gos on.

15. bobjob55

bobjob55

my mothers house was the first on the block .. 44 years ago ... her grandson has lived there for the last 16 years .. people stop in the street ,,, and tell him to go back to where he came from ... just because he has a custom's 1950 chevy .. i had a '56 chevy ,,, a pan-head ,, in the driveway ,, dune-buggy on the garage ,,, and a '63 chevy carryall in the street before he moved in ... go back to where ????? he was born at that house ....
    the neighbors that live near him don't mind ,,, just the creeps that live in the "newer" homes way up the street ... so ,, who cares if there homes cost them over a million dollars ...
    of course ,, my mom don't live there anymore ....BUT STILL .............

16. aaggie

aaggie

It's the old Golden Rule thing, treat the neighbors like you would want them to treat you. I'm retired and do most of my work during the day when they are at work and usually stop and clean up around 5:00.

17. I have great neighbors. They like to come over and check out the progress on the '29 from time to time...I guess I'm lucky. The one neighbor keeps dropping hints that I can help him with his wife's 64 1/2 mustang when I'm done with my car...we'll see.

18. Never had anyone say anything, other than "Can you weld this for me? or "Do you have a puller?" , but if I'm working past 10pm, I make sure it's quiet work, no grinders, or compressors kicking on. Worked forever.

19. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

mine are pretty cool. there young and tattooed all over (like me). there always asking how the car is coming along.... if i see them out trying to fix something ill always help.
    in my opinion you have to have your neighbors back and they will have yours.

20. wizzard23

wizzard23

When my neighbors think I'm being too noisey, they just fire up their Harleys and drown my noise right out!!!!!!!!!

21. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Out of all my neighbors I only have one that I think is cool. All the others are total jerks. They are in their 70's and 80's and only think of one thing: "It's time to cut the grass" Talk about no life! They keep on trying to get me in trouble with the city and county, problem is they can't do a thing about it. I put my non-ops in my garage, shed or on the county side of my properties. The rest are either garaged or on the driveway. Oh and the majority of the cars and truck are registered as antiques and are fully insured. And I can start and drive them any time I want. So I just laugh at these really old codgers. They wave at me, I just ignore them, would like to give them the bird, but I am not that low life. Soon they will pass on and maybe they will realize all the fun they chose not to have. My vehicles are part of me and always will be. As I said in a past post, they don't talk back, and when they misbehave, they are just telling me they need a new part. Love them all.

22. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I dont think I could ask for better neighbors. They cant say much cause they always need my help to do something. Its a good trade. Besides I was the very first house in my subdivision. If they dont like it move, I was here first.

23. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

the very first house in my subdivision :eek:

Ya,,, I got that one under my belt also. Pops was 75 years young when I was born, now I'm 48 and the toilet paper roll is going on half way,,, ya know "Closer you get to the end the faster it gos" . Found a letter inside the wall remodeling dated 1902 from my grate, grate, grate aunt.
    I don't think they called it " subdivision " back then,, but I wasn't around ether,,,, So.

24. I don't have any real close neighbors, so I haven't had a problem in the past 24 years of wrenchin' at the homestead. I do hang up a solid welding curtain for welding and when I don't want people driving by watching me in the machine shop.. or eyeballing my shit.

Bob

25. Our houses are not right on top of each other here. But if I have to work late I close the garage door. It is insulated as well as the garage itself and you can just barely hear any thing outside.

A couple of years ago I was building a set of headers for a car that I had on the drive. When it got late and I wanted to keep working I closed the garage door and did all my cutting inside that didn't chage the fact that I was welding and tacking outside.

About 9:00 or so my next door neighbor came over and started holding things while I tacked them, pretty soon his wife came over with sandwhiches and coffee. So the missus brought out cookies and chairs pretty soon all the neighbors from the 4 houses closest to me were out there having a major get together on my drive. They are all older than I am and retired. One of the older ladies raised went inside and raised the garage door so we didn't have to walk in and out.

Folks never cease to amaze me.

26. mason-d

mason-d
    from san diego

lets just say i have a set of baffles in the mail for my lakeside headers on my t. my neighbors were nice and thought my car was "cool" until the motor got running. now they dont think its quite so cool.

27. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

I'm extremely respectful toward my neighbors. I expect the same in return.

At one point someone fouled things up for all of us and code enforcement did a sweep. Ended up having to build a fence to hide my trash cans and prove that my boat trailer was registered. (it was but they didn't look carefully enough) Oddly enough, I'm only one of two people on the street with a fence for my garbage cans, seems like it's not really a rule just something the inspector lady thought was nice.... :rolleyes:

Oh well, makes the yard look better.

Across the street lives an extremely nice Bahamian guy who keeps an eye on my stuff and even lets me know if my daughter's friends come over when I'm not home. I do the same for him while he's out of town.

Nice to know that someone cares.

28. Mine keep bringing me tools! Straight up. They never complain about anything either.

Got a 9" grinder from my neighbour today for my Birthday. What a great day.

29. My neighbor makes more noise than me... At least once a month he backs his drag car into the street and does transbrake hole shots. Sometimes its 10 at night!!! And we live less than 5min from the cop shop.

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

MOst of our neighbors are pretty cool. they think the old car is pretty neat and they frequently come to check up on it if the garage is open...sometimes they even get involved with the work :). On the other hand we have one problem neighbor who is the biggest psycho i've ever seen. we dont care much about pissing her off.