Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for painters - DuPont ChromaClear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does ChromaClear need to be shot over a base, or can it be put directly over an epoxy primer/sealer such as DuPont 2505?

Also, is there a flattener that can be added to the ChromaClear to make it more of a satin finish?

Thanks!

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BttT for the morning crowd.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

dont use dupont clear. we are having a horrible, horrible time right now with a high quality dupont clear that we paid big bucks for. it refuses to cure and its total crap. good luck if you decide to go that route

4. I would think yes to both questions. But I am not MR Paint. If you don't get an answer here why don't you call Wayne or Willie Keimig over in Atchison (Keimig Autobody) they both know me as the Porknbeaner or as Ben if that is any help. They are PPG guys but they know paint and will most likely have an answer for you.

5. cozee

cozee

Yes sir, you sure can clear over most primers. I suggest that you follow the tech sheet and see if you can use the primer as a sealer also. If so, mix it per the instructions and lay down a coat of sealer over your properly cured and prepped (sanded and cleaned) primer. This will burn into the primer and also a good base for the clear. Check with your jobber as Dupont used to have a flattener. I say used to as I squirt mainly PPG on a daily basis and Dupont has been dropping certain additives and lines of paint. Bye bye Hot Hues. (Sad cause I love there intercoat clear :()

Sorry to say this farmergal but the few times I have seen issues like yours it turned out not to be the products fault but the painter's. Improper mixing ratios and out of date or wrong additives are usually the 2 main culprits.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I second that Chroma clear is expensive but good product ,Always check and see how clear it is.If its a yellow take it back....Seen one problem with old clear ....Mixing ratios are important ......

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks folks! DuPont 2505 is an epoxy primer/sealer, which is all I've had on the tin for five years. It seals well, because it's been in the weather quite a bit, and still looks like it did the day I sprayed it on. The reason I need to clear it is that I'm FINALLY sanding the primer to smooth out some imperfections, and will then be airbrushing a logo on the tin and need to seal it with something for UV protection of the logo, hence the ChromaClear. I love the satiny look of the sealer/primer, that's why I want to flatten the clearcoat a bit.

8. 390fe bomber

390fe bomber

yes you can put it on a sealer that is still within its topcoat window, or any sanded surface, primer sealer old paint ect.

9. 390fe bomber

390fe bomber

Exactally mixing ratios mixing ratios mixing ratios i dunno how many people i have had come in the store and complain, turn out they didnt measure..

and yes you can put it on a sealer that is still within its topcoat window, or any sanded surface, primer sealer old paint ect.

10. Ryan Emmel

Ryan Emmel

There is nothing but perfection with DuPont chromapremier clears . Fact. The user is the problem. Been using it for 17 years now.

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree with Ryan. Dupont is the only paint I will spray. PPG is a second rate peoduct. Mixes with wierd amounts that never come out even with the amount you have to buy. Dupont's mixing amounts 4-1, 1-1 make much more sense. If someone has problems with Dupont products it was not properly applied