Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lead Scene East, Biglerville, Pa.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lyle Willits, Jun 12, 2011.

1. greazy john

greazy john

nice pics...love customs

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great pics thanks!

3. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Great pictures! Thanks for posting!

This weekend, within a few hours of Philadelphia there were at least 4 big car events:
    Hershey Elegance
    Beaver Springs Gassers
    Cecil County Nostalgia Drags
    Lead Scene East

It was tough choosing which to go to, especially because the weather forcast was forboding, with thunderstorms predicted throughout the entire region.

It looks like the sun was shining in Biglerville and lots of nice cars showed up. Thanks for sharing the pics.

4. Curt Six

Curt Six

That lavender/champagne/whatever color it is shoebox is pretty tasteful...I hadn't seen that one before. The chopped Vicky is (or at least was) a Baltimore-based car I think, although I haven't seen it around for a while...nice looking little car. You can always count on a certain amount of "east coast goofiness" at that show (weird chop proportions, extra doodads and gingerbread that should never be on a custom), but it looks like there were some nice cars there. I have always loved this Chevy...I think this is one of the nicest mild customs in the area. Thanks for the pictures!

Attached Files:

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It costs too much to enter your car for one day. It's probably a deal for the whole weekend but not for just one day. JMO

6. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Thanks for posting the pictures. Lots of sharp rides. Good job.

7. slick a&t

slick a&t

Thanks for sharing your pic's.

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great photos...and of course cars too !!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers...........

9. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Wow great pic's I def have to try and add that show to my list next year!

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great pics - thanks for posting them . I'm so pissed I didn't make the trip down this year . I was really looking forward to the show .

Any more photos ??

11. kustombird

kustombird
    from pa

went to beaver gasser meet, was very cool, sunny most of till about 3 pm, some showers came thru.

12. Brentadour

Brentadour

God damn it! I have missed every single car show so far.

13. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

Great stuff Lyle. One of my favorites from NJ. Slim

14. sawzall

sawzall

[​IMG]

Tommys Olds makes me smile.

cant recall seeing a 40 sedan as a sled but I like it.

[​IMG]

lyle

any idea who owns this? [​IMG]

15. Awesome photos! Lot's of inspiration for my build.

16. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

nice coverage, thanks for sharing lyle !;)

17. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

Great pictures-love kustoms

Moriarity likes this.
  18. jerseymike

jerseymike

great show, good weather and almost all very high quality cars! if you like customs this show is a must. thanks for the pics.

19. The Merc woody is from Virginia and it's at this show every year. It USED to be owned, for awhile, by Nicolas Cage - yeah, the movie actor.

20. Nice pics lyle, too many events in this region, but that is a good thing, with your desire for Hambtography if you could I am sure you would cover them all. Biglerville also does a killer Apple festival 1st two weekends in Oct. and that hosts a great lil car show too, something for the whole family and weather is usually good.:cool::)

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Great time as usual. Video Bob and his crew really worked hard to make this show a go. I know the threat of weather kept a few away, but it worked out great afterall.

Nice place to gather and plenty of activities and entertainment.

Will certainly be on the schedule of must attend events for next year too..........

22. 'Mo

'Mo

This show was the target event for my '50 Chevy Chop Top.
    Didn't make it. Maybe next year! :cool:

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow, great shots of the show. Looks like a killer turnout of great customs as always

24. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

great pics..thanks for sharing

25. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Thank you Rich....

26. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Hey Guys (& gals) Video Bob comin' at ya. Still up here in Gettysburg trying to get rested up before heading back to Virginia Beach in the morning. A BIG & sincere thanks to all of those who came out & supported Lead Scene East. To those who didn't make it, you missed a great event that had something for every participant AND spectator that came thru the gate.

To accommodate those vendors who attended NSRA's Street Rod Nats in York, we opened the gates early so they wouldn't have to lay over in a campground for 2-3 days before heading out to Biglerville. This yr we were blessed with some top vendors that included Butch's Cool Stuff, King of Dice, Crafts & More.

On Thurs afternoon cars began arriving at the beautiful Oakside Community Park for the Early arrival party. While the Oakside Park Board prepared the evening meal there was a landslide of old & new friendships rekindled among those in attendance, some who hadn't seen each other for 10 yrs or more. When the dinner bell rang at 7:00 everybody grabbed their meal tickets & headed for the food tent where the "Oak Side Cooks" had a buffet waiting that consisted of humongous roast beef sandwiches with all the trimmings, baked beans, homemade potato salad, corn on the cob & a serve yourself sundae bar complete with fresh strawberries, chocolate & whipped cream. This fantastic meal was included in our "Pre Entry" package that also included a FREE event shirt, dash plaque, & a chance at a FREE motel room & three $50 drawings PLUS an envelope full of gift coupons the ranged from $8.00 up to $20.00. Cost for all of the above was $20.00, something that no other event can or has offered to date.

The Lead Scene East bowling tournament we had hoped to put together afterwards fizzled due to the lack of room to park our cars so most spent the evening checking out the sights around Gettysburg.

Bright & early Friday morning cars began arriving at Oakside to take part in an array of activities on the schedule that included a cruise, games & contests. This year participants & spectators were treated to a once in a lifetime experience with a ride in a real Amphicar. Thru out the week end people donated $3.00 to the Cancer Society for a ride around "Lake Oakside." Friday evening approx 25 cars cruised down the road to Bill Martin's 72 Ranch. This was a definite treat for those interested in Go Fast vehicles & Tri Chevys. One of the 57's was race ready with a blown big block, big meats, a roll cage & other necessities required for a 9 second machine to blast down the strip. For those who liked originality there was a beautiful black fuel injected 57 sitting between 2 other 57's that only had 7 & 14 miles on the odometer. There was also an original 40 Willys taking up room alongside a 40 Willys gasser. For those interested in off shore vehicles, there were several multi powered boats.

On Friday eve after the cruise everyone headed for the Hilton Garden Inn for the Sock Hop. Sir Woosh (often imitated but never duplicated) started the evening off with a special "rock & Roll" magic show that was enjoyed by everyone. At 9:00 everyone waited for the next act to come on. With a name like "Assisted Living" no one, including us knew what to expect. Of all the groups I've taped over the last 27 yrs, & there were many, this band has to be one of the best. Included in their group was an 80 yr old sax player that had performed with many well know bands over the yrs, one of which was Elvis. Every time he took center stage he brought the house down with a standing ovation. You can bet your tri power set up that we will have this group back next yr.

On Saturday morning there was a repeat of Friday's activities along with a big model Car contest, a Fruit & Wine Excursion (that went over big) along with numerous other activities. Needless to say, there was an endless line of people wanting to take a cruise in the amphicar. For those who have never seen one of these car's swimming, when in the water it looks like a miniature 57 Chevy.
    Saturday afternoon ended with another cruise to the Distelfink, an old 50's drive in that's been in business for over 40 yrs. Here again each participant got a buy one get one free gift coupon for a double cheeseburger or a roasted chicken breast sandwich. On Saturday eve everyone met back at Oakside Park to hear Big Cam & the Lifters. Despite storm warnings & some lite rain most stuck it out as Big Cam Rock & Rolled the nite away.

Early Sunday morning everybody began cruising back into Oakside Park for the Awards Program & to bid farewell to the old & new friendships they made over the last 3 days. Because of the economy & high fuel prices, when we put lead Scene East together we (the Oak Side Park Board & myself) decided it was time to try & help everyone out with some of their expenses, something that, to my knowledge no other event in the country has done. Besides giving cash awards in all classes there were several other ways participants could win cash amounts from $100 to $250. Surprisingly several participant who won $50 in the Specialty Classes went home early & left the money behind.

After the awards it was time to unveil the surprise that my wife & I put together for this yrs event. Not wanting to copy KKOA's imaginary Hall of fame we built, with help .
    from the Hanover Street Rods & the Kustom Knights out of Jersey a "Wall of Fame" that gives recognition not only to those who made Lead Scene East what it is but to those who have passed on & those who take the top 3 Awards each yr. We hope to have photos of this posted on our web site in a few weeks.

While we didn't have an official Hard Luck award planned, the couple from NY who's car burnt up a block from the show surely deserved one. Thanks to all those in attendance nearly $600 was raised to get them back home.

Ok better get out of here before I get the boot. Just wanted to let everyone know what a great time we all had in Biglerville.

Cruise On
    Video Bob

27. Thanks for the pic's Lyle. I have to get up to that show one of these days!