Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ballnchain, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ballnchain

ballnchain

found a 31 model a in barn dont have alot of money to put into going to make a rat rod what car good to look at for parts. probly going to a junkyard to find stuff want a 350 chevy motor i know that but brakes rearedend not sure ? any sugstions.

2. Future Stock

Future Stock

And we're off........

3. syracusegli

syracusegli
    from ny

Do what you can with what you got. Don't ruin it

4. F&J

F&J

:d ...

5. Joe Kickass

Joe Kickass

Wrong place to come for info on how to screw up a car.

6. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I'll get the popcorn.........

7. Finding a car in a barn is like finding a penny in the grocery store parking lot.

8. a 70 through 79 chevy 1 ton chassis should do you fine. just drop the 31 on the pickup frame, paint it all satin black, make sure the wheels are bright red, and by god, you'll be rolling in no time. drive it like you stole it..... beat it like a redheaded step child.

9. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

10. F&J

F&J

11. I take it English is a second language for you. Its difficult to understand your writing. But I think what you want is to sell the Model A and get something else.. ...Mazdas are good trucks..

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Welcome. But, if you don't have the money to rat rod it, you definitely don't have the money to do it right. Don't eff up a perfectly good '31 A. You came to a great place. Take a few days to read up here on how to do a car the right way and then just take your time and make a nice safe respectable project out of it instead of a piece crap death trap. Good luck and have fun.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

first off...dont even use the "rat rod" term on this forumn. It's bad language here. Rat rods are unsafe vehicles peiced together with out one ounce of logic put into it,

second: search for threads on this forumn. there is a lot of HISTORY in this forumn and you can LEARN A LOT about building a traditional hot rod....even on a budget.

most importantly...don't ruin it. Even if you dont have a lot of knowledge about building a traditional hot rod; you can learn a lot here. If you're logically and willing to learn; people here are willing to help

Treat the person who owns it with the utmost respect. Keep in mind most old folks who stash these cars dont want to part with them. become friends with the owner; and you have a friend for life. they hate those who just come looking for a cheap deal. respect goes a long way

14. ballnchain

ballnchain

never posted before why would i info on how to screw up a car and whats popcorn time and would it work putting on a 70 5 chevy truck chassis.

15. pastlane

pastlane

just put it on an S-10 chassis & yer done. Can always add skulls beer keg oil tank & tractor grille as you drive

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

What ever happened to lurking for months to find out what this forum is all about and then asking questions on your build???

17. Uh Oh - Here's your sign.

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Poor does not mean build a piece of shit. Have you no pride?

19. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

We sharing that popcorn?

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Welcome aboard ballnchain,
    Pay no attention to the smart ass keyboard cowboys remarks :rolleyes:........most newbies and many of us that have been here a while get them too..
    Sounds like you have found a neat old car...
    Take your time, do some research, and you will do OK.
    Many options for you, but you need to make sure all the running gear, brakes, etc. are in good shape before you start running it.
    A 350 will take some decent fabricating and beef up to the frame probably, so again...my advise is to go slow...
    Good luck, and keep us posted....
    Cheers,
    Bob
    (Oh and yah, drop the rat word...it ain't friendly here, as stated in the rules)

21. ballnchain

ballnchain

Wow guess i know now not to ask anything on here anymore .Well i like the look of a rat rod but im not going to use a screwdriver to start it.

22. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

And read the rules.

23. pecker head

pecker head

& a intro would be nice !

24. badshifter

badshifter

25. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Introduce your self for fist thread... at here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

we're a traditional bunch, don't care much for the RR stuff. Use the search for info.
    Your not the first to start a thread just like this one. I think this is the second I've seen this month with the ''model barn find to RR sbc'' don't get me wrong there's some nice rods out there with early sbc's ect..

There's nothing wrong with the parts you have now, I got my self a stock (FTF) fenderless '30 model coupe and that's cheaper to get that on the road then mess it up with cut and rebuild. In time I'll do the rebuild with the stroker flathead V8 I got sitting around...

26. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Even a FNG like myself knows that "rat rods" are a no-no around here...

27. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Well aren't you a smarty..:)

28. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Nice pics see if you can turn the crank by hand, if so your on your way to having some funn. If you can't turn it search around and see what we have to say to get it free. Then from there see what you want to do with it. Some of us would pay a good price for a running banger.

29. ballnchain

ballnchain

i dont read rules or play by them.

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, ballnchain sounds like too much BS to me-are ya having fun yet?